Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » another rescue for eric

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
another rescue for eric on 10/30/2011 18:26:16 MDT Print View

This one is amazing. For those familiar with the San Jacintos, most would say a hike like this is almost impossible.

http://www.rmru.org/missions/2010/2010-012.html

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Interesting on 10/30/2011 22:57:02 MDT Print View

I wonder if I really SHOULD buy a SPOT beacon this year. I'm coughing up over $300. for an Ortovox S1+ avalanche beacon in November.

Another $100.+ for a SPOT seems reasonable considering I lead hikes and backpacking trips for the Sierra Club and go backcountry skiing, sometimes alone. Guess an open tib/fib fracture when alone would pose a nasty problem without a PLRB of some kind. (Or should I just stock up on Percodin and Oxycontin? :0)

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Get the Spot on 10/31/2011 07:28:38 MDT Print View

Drugs aren't the answer, man. Rush Limbaugh might here, will sign up, and then you'll need one of those lumber helicopters to extract...

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
PLB on 10/31/2011 09:27:40 MDT Print View

eric

id get some kind of beacon ifr yr gonna be leading a larger group for anything greater than a day hike

the leader IMO should try to make things as "safe" as possible for people less experienced, and consider the possibility of rescue if there are injuries

i can see the day coming where someone sues one of these hiking groups for something that happens ...