November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
another rescue for eric
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
another rescue for eric on 10/30/2011 18:26:16 MDT Print View

This one is amazing. For those familiar with the San Jacintos, most would say a hike like this is almost impossible.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Interesting on 10/30/2011 22:57:02 MDT Print View

I wonder if I really SHOULD buy a SPOT beacon this year. I'm coughing up over $300. for an Ortovox S1+ avalanche beacon in November.

Another $100.+ for a SPOT seems reasonable considering I lead hikes and backpacking trips for the Sierra Club and go backcountry skiing, sometimes alone. Guess an open tib/fib fracture when alone would pose a nasty problem without a PLRB of some kind. (Or should I just stock up on Percodin and Oxycontin? :0)

Erik Basil

Locale: Atzlan
Get the Spot on 10/31/2011 07:28:38 MDT Print View

Drugs aren't the answer, man. Rush Limbaugh might here, will sign up, and then you'll need one of those lumber helicopters to extract...

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
PLB on 10/31/2011 09:27:40 MDT Print View

id get some kind of beacon ifr yr gonna be leading a larger group for anything greater than a day hike

the leader IMO should try to make things as "safe" as possible for people less experienced, and consider the possibility of rescue if there are injuries

i can see the day coming where someone sues one of these hiking groups for something that happens ...