Forum Index » Gear Deals » Hydro Photon SteriPEN Adventurer $36 at DeptofGood (60% off) 115 in stock

Display Avatars Sort By:
Miles M
(milesm) - F
Hydro Photon SteriPEN Adventurer $36 at DeptofGood (60% off) 115 in stock on 10/30/2011 13:01:03 MDT Print View

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/hydro-photon-steripen-adventurer-handheld-ultraviolet-water-purifier

Miles M
(milesm) - F
Does this thing die? on 10/30/2011 13:03:39 MDT Print View

After 8,000 uses, you have to "After Lamp Life = 8,000 Treatments, lamps must be replaced
by manufacturer or licensed technician."

Is it cheaper to buy two of them now, then to send it to the manufacturer?

Ceph Lotus
(Cephalotus) - MLife

Locale: California
Steripen on 10/30/2011 13:27:31 MDT Print View

Looks like a good deal. But is this the larger one, that will work with Nalgene bottles, and won't fit in the smaller water bottles? Also, it uses non-rechargeable CR123A batteries. I think I would prefer AA batteries.

Ceph Lotus
(Cephalotus) - MLife

Locale: California
Shipping, too on 10/30/2011 13:32:08 MDT Print View

Looks like Department of Goods is charging shipping, too, so you should factor that in as well.

Edited by Cephalotus on 10/30/2011 13:33:09 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Does this thing die? on 10/30/2011 13:33:33 MDT Print View

How long would it take you to go through 8000 liters? There may be better technology by that time. Straight answer, I can't imagine it being less or more convenient than having a spare on the shelf for $35. I would bet that most failures are due to dropping/breakage.

That is a good deal, but do note that it is the conductive sensor style vs the newer optical sensor. The only real issue is in very pure water. Some have needed to add a pinch of salt to get the conductivity up to the point that the sensor will trigger the lamp.

Miles M
(milesm) - F
$50 free shipping on 10/30/2011 16:31:49 MDT Print View

You can add something to get $50 for free shipping

Richard Malpass
(Earthling4469a) - M

Locale: Australia, Planet Earth,
Thankyou on 10/30/2011 17:55:09 MDT Print View

Thanks for the great deal :)

Darren Bagnall
(dbagnall)

Locale: El Portal, CA
Good deal but... on 10/30/2011 22:24:03 MDT Print View

I have one of these and no they do not fit into the liter sized Gatorade bottles (or Power Ade or anything else). This is a great deal but I to be honest I have had big problems with mine. I should have returned it.

There is a thread about problems with these somewhere in these forums. The problem is supposed to be related to humidity building up in the tube and messing up the sensors. This model was updated with a new optical sensor and is now called the Adventurer Opti.

Anyways - YMMV. Looks like a great deal.

Darren Bagnall
(dbagnall)

Locale: El Portal, CA
Batteries on 10/30/2011 22:28:20 MDT Print View

Oh yes - more more thing on this product. It uses x2 CR123 batteries. They are expensive and hard to find in trail towns.
The newer model uses the same batteries too.

Kevin Manley
(manleyk) - F - MLife

Locale: Denver-ish
Battery confusion on 10/30/2011 23:39:44 MDT Print View

Guys, there are many rechargeable CR123's at 3V. Check out BatteryJunction.com to find them.

Kevin

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
SteriPEN Adventurer on 10/31/2011 04:51:44 MDT Print View

I don't know what kind of Gatoraid bottles you have but the older Adventuror I had fit into a full one just fine. These are the .6L bottles. Any spillage from the full bottle just helps wash the threading clear.

I recently lost mine in a hike up through the Dix Mountains (ADK's) and replaced it with the newer Opti. (A slip tore open my side pouch which I didn't notice for several miles...the next watering hole. I wrap it in my glove liners and lost one of those, too.)

In the three/four years I had it, I had no problems with it, except the first time out. I had tried it at home and left the batteries in (rechargables.) They were flat two days later on the trail. A couple sets of lithium batteries were purchased after that and one was turned over, except in use. The idle current drain was quite high. End of battery usage problems.

Rechargables worked, OK, but were not weight efficient. For quick weekend trips, They are OK, but it is easier to use the lithium, ones. Though, I have heard of a couple people saying they were not the best for it... I picked up 4 sets at Battery Junction along with a recharger. These were the same batteries that came with the Adventurer. The whole kit (Solar charger, batteries and Adventurer) cost about $160 at the time (newly released) soo, $36 is a hell of a good price. The solar charger was worthless (the ADK's never has enough sunlight.) The rechagable batteries last about 50 chargings or about two years, but they decrease in power...from about 30 to 20 in the first 10 chargings, 20 to 10 uses over the next 30 chargings. . .

Getting back to gatoraid bottles, the Opti works as well, fully in, but not falling into the gatoraid bottle. When done treating water (mostly not necessary...but...) replace the top while slowly sgueezing. This will wash the threads off pretty well.