Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Jackets made w/ Momentum 90, etc: how does material hold up under pack straps?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Jackets made w/ Momentum 90, etc: how does material hold up under pack straps? on 10/30/2011 11:13:04 MDT Print View

Seems like such light weight fabrics would wear quickly under the shoulder straps and in the waist belt area. Would it be worth the effort and weight to reinforce these areas with another layer of something?

Andy Duncan
(bluewater)

Locale: SoCal
Momentum 90 on 10/31/2011 14:46:48 MDT Print View

I used a windshirt made out of Momentum 90 on the JMT this summer with no problem. It seemed to hold up fine after wearing it with my pack on. The pack straps were made of 1.43 oz/sqyd cuben, I'm not sure how it would hold up with more abrasive material.

Colin Parkinson
(parkinson1157)

Locale: Ontario Canada
Momentum fabric on 10/31/2011 19:38:26 MDT Print View

Momentum should only be used in non hiking conditions or on very wide well maintained trails.

On the trails in my area momentum will last half a day before rips and tears appear.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
frogg toggs on 10/31/2011 20:26:37 MDT Print View

does anyone know if the frogg toggs rain jacket will hold up under a pack? i've never worn mined under it and am planning on it in a few weeks.

John West
(skyzo) - M

Locale: Borah Gear
Re: on 10/31/2011 20:33:20 MDT Print View

My DriDucks have been on many trips with me this season, and they have held up fine under the shoulder straps so far. Ever if they only lasted 2 seasons, for the $15 I paid for the set, I'd consider that a good deal.

Only thing that happened to my jacket this season is a small 1-inch tear in the arm from bushwacking. Slapped some duct-tape on there, and its been good since.

Edited by skyzo on 10/31/2011 20:34:30 MDT.

Matthew Hurdle
(mhurdle858) - M
Momentum Windshirt on 11/01/2011 01:02:37 MDT Print View

I've used a MYOG Momentum 90 Windshirt for this past season and it still looks great. I've had no issues with wear from the pack straps.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: Momentum Windshirt on 11/01/2011 11:21:24 MDT Print View

I've used an m90 windshirt for over a year and with no damage from straps or anything on the trail. I definitely don't baby it and it's seen lots of willows and brush.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Jackets made w/ Momentum 90, etc: how does material hold up under pack straps? on 11/02/2011 20:45:59 MDT Print View

Thanks, everyone. Appreciated!