Forum Index » GEAR » Tall Hiker Looking for Light Shelter in Rain Forest Conditions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jesse Tinkess
(JesterJosev)
Tall Hiker Looking for Light Shelter in Rain Forest Conditions on 10/29/2011 20:04:24 MDT Print View

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I live up in Vancouver, and I'm starting to explore the beautiful environment that I've been blessed to reside near. This year I hauled 40 (aproximation of weight) (pounds of gear up to Garibaldi lake. The hike itself was really interesting, I'am looking into light backpacking, and learning how to be a resourcful, but I was still hauling 40 pounds (aproximation of weight) of gear. I remember passing some experianced hikers, one of them greeted me and then gave me an expression of pity. He knew the weight that was on my body, and the toll that it was having on my outdoors experiance. (Since my telepathy skills aren't very good. I apologies for any aproximations and lies. Whos if the guy recognised my plight, but I like to think he did!) One of my issues has been delt with by switching my cook kit from a heavy military set up, to a light weight alcohol stove kit, but now I'm starting to look at some of the more significant weight areas of my backpack, which include my shelter set up.

Heres the low down I don't think its fair to ask experianced backpackers such as yourselves for advice unless I have you a run down on the perticular conditions that I'm working in. In the Vancouver BC area it rain pretty much constantly, nothing torential but its rare to find a time of day when its not drizzling, this also means that the ground is almost always wet, and there is quite alot of moisture falling from the trees above. Its quite warm it rarely goes below 32 degrees, this means that with the humidity condensation is almost always an issue. I'm a tall guy at 6'2 and what this means is often in normal length tents my feet or my head touches the sides of the tent meaning that if I don't have a shelter long enough to accomdate me my sleeping bag gets wet due to the inherant issues of condensation with the climate and weather. The terrain is quite varied so when I was up at garibaldi last July we camped on about 6 feet of snow, the previous year same time it was dirt, also due to the weather the ground is almost always water logged.

The issue is dealing with water, from below, above, and condensation, also I'm tall, and I tent on my own so I'm completely happy with a single person shelter

I've done a little searching around on the internet and have found a few choises, and I'm sure there are a few options out there that I'm not aware of, if you could point those out it would be appreciated.

- The Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout: As a student I don't have alot of money, and this looks like a great deal to be honest. The length sounds good, the price is right, its a double walled construction which would help with condensation, and there is plenty of mesh which sounds great...my only worry is people talking about the depth of the bathtub, water from below is an issue here in Vancouver.

Thanks for your time, suggestions and comments.
-Jesse

Edited by JesterJosev on 02/22/2013 22:33:41 MST.

Michael Rollins
(wind_walker)

Locale: Midwest
I like my tarptent on 10/29/2011 20:36:08 MDT Print View

Jesse

I picked up a like-new tarptent squall 2 on the forum here for a very reasonable price. I am 6'1" and it hods me, my boots and my pack. It is only 34 ounces. I've been quite pleased with it so far, but not sure how it will work regarding condensation. The Jolly Green Giant , on his blog, recommends the Lighrheart SoLong, but I have no experience with it. Looks roomy and is only 26 ounces http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=13.

Again, I highly recommend Tarptent - it works great for me.

Mike

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
Re: I like my tarptent on 10/29/2011 20:47:19 MDT Print View

You might also look at the Tarptent Contrail-- most of the tarptents are a good fit for tall folks and you can often find good, used Contrails on the Gear Swap very affordably.

Jesse Tinkess
(JesterJosev)
Lightheart on 10/29/2011 23:03:34 MDT Print View

Thanks for the quick replys Wind_walker, and Kwersal.

Reguarding the tarptent, I had the chance to look at them a while ago, and boy do they ever look nice. Theres a certain simplicity to them that is alluring, and I wish you warm nights, and many days of use, but my only consideration is the issue of condensation due to the single wall construction. With the double wall of the Six Moon Design, or the Lightheart (thanks for the reccomendation, looks great! expensive but great). I have a higher chance of remaining dry, and at the end of the day moisture is my main culprit.

I wonder if there are certain shelters that I'm not taking into consideration like tarp/mesh set ups, or bivies that I should look into.

Keep on, keepin' on.
-Jesse

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
+1 on Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 on 10/29/2011 23:17:46 MDT Print View

Awesome tent for big guys. 26oz. Great in bad weather. Great ventilation!!!
Nuff said : ) Love Mine!!!!!

Lightheartgear.com

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Hammock? on 10/30/2011 03:26:03 MDT Print View

Have you considered a hammock? It sounds like you should have plenty of trees to use, and good reason to get off the ground. (You rig a tarp over the top to keep off the rain, obviously.)