Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Frying pan angst

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Frying pan angst on 10/28/2011 19:51:03 MDT Print View

I'd love to carry my little and light (handleless) aluminum, non-stick coated fry pan on most trips for cooking but usually don't because I'd only use it once or twice in a week. On my last trip this Sept. I used it for scrambled eggs and another hiker borrowed it to heat her soft tortilla shells - and even shared one. Mmmmm!

I WISH some company would make coated aluminum lid/frypans in maybe 4 sizes that would kinda-sorta fit several different sizes of pots. They would only need to be about 1 cm. to 1/2 in. deep to work well and no handle would be needed, maybe just a metal "loop" riveted to the side so a pot gripper could get a grip on it.

Scraqmbled eggs, pancakes, fish, fried rice, etc. all could be cooked with a pan/lid and a tiny nylon spatula.

Edited by Danepacker on 10/28/2011 19:59:34 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Frying pan angst on 10/28/2011 19:58:32 MDT Print View

They are out there, somewhere. I have one that I purchased about 25 years ago.

I can't put my finger on it right this minute, but it is aluminum, coated on the interior, and about 7" in diameter. No handles, so I carry a pot-gripper.

It is just about the right size for a personal-sized pancake, and I use a sharp wooden spatula with it.

--B.G.--

Wild Exped
(bankse) - MLife

Locale: Tasmania (down under downunder)
Evernew on 10/28/2011 20:04:42 MDT Print View

Iv'e been looking for a nice small fying pan or skillet too. A bit small but better than nothing, I baulk at the comments about the non stick ti skillet, pity they dont put the 900ml pot set ceramic alum skillet on the 900ml non non stick ti pot, I'm not buying both sets ; )

Edited by bankse on 10/28/2011 20:06:44 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Frying pan angst on 10/28/2011 21:09:53 MDT Print View

"I WISH some company would make coated aluminum lid/frypans in maybe 4 sizes that would kinda-sorta fit several different sizes of pots. They would only need to be about 1 cm. to 1/2 in. deep to work well and no handle would be needed, maybe just a metal "loop" riveted to the side so a pot gripper could get a grip on it. "

That does sound more like a lid.

Antigravity Gear has some of the Evernew non-stick Ti fry pans at 4,7 and 5.5oz and 6"-8" diameter. You can do more kinds of cooking in a larger pan. I don't know if I'm enough of a trail gourmet to justify dropping $48 on a fry pan. http://www.antigravitygear.com/fry-pans-and-kettles.html

I want a Ti wok with a mating burner ring/stand. Wok cooking takes advantage of small heat sources and quick cooking of food that is in small, easily cooked pieces. You could get pretty crazy with pre-chopped goodies on an overnight trip. I'm salivating at the thought :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Frying pan angst on 10/28/2011 22:03:02 MDT Print View

Might not be UL enough but I LOVE the MSR http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/fast-and-light-cookware/quick-skillet/product

It is a very nice frypan/skillet.

Anyhow....for years though when I want a skillet I have used the ones that come on GSI pots - my main 2L pot has the option of that or a plastic lid and I can take what I think I will need and leave the other half at home.....

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
fried on 10/29/2011 09:09:29 MDT Print View

I have an old frypan from the MSR Duralite Gourmet set. Sadly they don't make this set anymore but I found the pan to be the best balance between being light and being practical. It's coated aluminium.

scri bbles
(scribbles) - F

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Re: Re: Frying pan angst on 11/17/2011 12:35:27 MST Print View

+1 on the MSR Aluminum, Worked great for pancakes and scrambled eggs on a simple overnight...

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Frying pan angst on 11/17/2011 15:21:50 MST Print View

Were a person to carry an actual frying pan, the current MSR one is amazing. It is a deep sided skillet really and cooks enough for 2 easily. It fits under the 2L pots in the new sets as well. Not small though. I do also carry a single egg frypan at times...some of them are very UL.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: Re: Frying pan angst on 11/18/2011 07:17:54 MST Print View

Sarah,

That sounds just like the one from my Duralite set. It fits just nicely under the 2 L pot. It makes sense with the 3 or 4 of us going to have this set as our cooking equipment especially on longer trips. I love the versatility of a frypan for everything from rehydrated hashbrowns, ham and egg scrambles, fritattas, pancakes, frypan baking (cakes, cookies, biscuits, and bannock). It just allows so much more versatility in the menu.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Frying pan angst on 11/18/2011 09:24:21 MST Print View

It is a very nice update IMO. It is Duralite as well. http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/basecamp-cookware/flex-skillet/product

The only real issue I have with it is the handle - which fits all the pots - so that is a bonus - but the handle isn't fire friendly. Although one could use an old school metal handle (pliers) for it.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Re: Re: Frying pan angst on 11/18/2011 14:00:54 MST Print View

I picked up an MSR Duralite frying pan on campsaver a few months ago and it looks like they still have them. They were (and are) on sale for $17. I really like the Duralite set (I have the "mini" set with the 1L and 1.5L pots) though I've used them more on car-camping trips.

Pete Wilson
(Muddy-Pete) - F

Locale: east coast
Frying pan angst on 11/20/2011 12:23:08 MST Print View

Same problem here.

I have a Trangia mess kit. the lid is big enough to invert and cook an egg. Lots of room inside for an Esbit stove, sauces and stuff.

WBAGZ

Trangia

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: Frying pan angst on 12/11/2011 15:40:55 MST Print View

Trangia's 27 UL hard anodized cook set comes with a hard-anodized aluminum frying pan that's a nice size (7.4" wide x 1.2" deep), and pretty light (per Trangia's recent specs, weighs about 2.8 oz; my old one weighs 2.99 oz).

The 27 frying pan is apparently available separate from the Trangia 27 cook set, per google turning up these sites:

http://tinyurl.com/6uccbsd

http://tinyurl.com/78vzkk8

There's no handle attached to the 27 frying pan. The 27 cook set comes with an aluminum pot lifter (about 1.71 oz); other potlifters work also, like MSR (1.0 oz).

The potlifter that comes with Trangia's mini 28 cook set probably works with the Trangia 27 frying pan, too, and weighs only about 0.68 oz.

Weight of Trangia UL hard anodized 27 frying pan w/Trangia 28 handle: 3.67 oz.

Compare to Evernew Titanium 7.25" frying pan w/folding handle at 4.80 oz (which may not be available anymore),

and with MSR Duralite 7" Quick Skillet w/folding handle at 5.9 oz,

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/fast-and-light-cookware/quick-skillet/product

Edited by JRScruggs on 12/11/2011 15:47:15 MST.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Frying pan angst on 12/13/2011 20:56:49 MST Print View

Having you ever thought about getting a pot that is flat enough to fry but tall enough to hold water? My friend uses one like that, and I stole it on a trip to fry a small fish.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
q on 12/14/2011 17:02:58 MST Print View

a

Edited by asdzxc57 on 01/25/2012 17:45:28 MST.

Orlando Wiebe
(ojawojaw1) - F
ManPans on 12/18/2011 13:36:12 MST Print View

I'm new here, but periodically skulk through the discussion forums.
I need to replace the fry pan from my Trangia set (22 cm) and have been looking at the Manpans 9 inch round cake pan.
Not interested in coated aluminum; I understand these are anodized.
http://www.manpans.com/products/9%22-Round-Cake-Pan.html
Anodized, solid, nor particularly light.
Opinions?

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
ManPans on 12/18/2011 16:37:43 MST Print View

The specs on that pan indicated that it is safe up to 700*F. Campfires can get the pan much hotter than that (up to ~1600*F), depending on how close the pan is to the coals and what type of wood you are burning.

Orlando Wiebe
(ojawojaw1) - F
That's hawt! on 12/18/2011 17:11:50 MST Print View

As stated, it's to replace my Trangia fry pan, so chances are slim that it would get that hot. I'll be using the canister adapter with it. No campfire use anticipated, I'm not really in the lightweight backpacking category.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: That's hawt! on 12/18/2011 17:42:46 MST Print View

Buy a pan that is for frying/cooking in. Cake pans are for baking and hence much lower temperatures (usually topping out at 450* give or take). That is my opinion but I have found over the years it isn't worth messing with.
Stoves have very focused hot points I might add that can warp pans that are not made for cooking in.

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
lids on 12/18/2011 17:51:33 MST Print View

HMM, the lid for my snowpeak 1400 is suppose to be a fry pan. I usually leave it at home and only take the set if my wife is going with me. I'll have to check it out. I've seen other cook sets where the lids are fry pans.

On our last trip I watch a very cool trick. One of the guys put raw eggs/cooked bacon in a ziplock ang boiled it in his pot, while brewing coffee. when it was done he had real scramled eggs and a fresh brew.

Enjoy,

Dave