Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Do you play an instrument?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Evan Parker
(ecp12) - F

Locale: Upstate NY
Do you play an instrument? on 10/28/2011 12:05:29 MDT Print View

With the thread about punk rock lovin ULers, I figured I would ask whether or not anyone plays an instrument! Myself, I took piano lessons as a kid for about 10 years (I only have Fur Elise to show for it) and I've been playing guitar for about the past ten years, and recently started to sing while playing. James Taylor, Jim Croce, and Paul Simon provide plenty of inspiration while on electric Stevie Ray Vaughan seems to always come out.

Edit: i forgot I picked up a uke myself and I've always wanted to try the mandolin and the banjo, and I want to get a harmonica to really channel Bob Dylan!

Edited by ecp12 on 10/28/2011 12:50:49 MDT.

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1)

Locale: East Tennessee, US
Instruments on 10/28/2011 12:46:30 MDT Print View

Great thread idea =)!

I played trumpet for about 4 years and then switched to french horn/mellophone for the next 7 (3 of which while at the University of Tennessee-- I just graduated this past August)

In between, I've picked up guitar (but who hasn't, I guess) as well as the ukelele and enjoy goofin' off and singing improv.

-My gf plays the harmonica, so we're just a few steps away from havin' a folk duo =D!

EDIT to add the joys of castanets and vocal sound effects!

Edited by cwayman1 on 10/28/2011 12:48:13 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Do you play an instrument? on 10/28/2011 13:04:34 MDT Print View

Does the iPad count?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Do you play an instrument? on 10/28/2011 13:10:30 MDT Print View

Violin for 19 years. I teach privately and play in various organizations in the area.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Do you play an instrument? on 10/28/2011 13:24:37 MDT Print View

Drum circles! I like to improv on a Native American flute too. I've played guitar since childhood.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Do you play an instrument? on 10/28/2011 13:24:45 MDT Print View

A few years ago I picked up an electric guitar. Tried learning from a book at first, then about a year and a half ago I started taking lessons. I really wish I would've started when I was a kid so that I'd be a famous rock star by now.

adam spates
(adamspates) - F

Locale: southeast
yup on 10/28/2011 13:43:45 MDT Print View

I've played guitar for about 12 years and sing. I actually made it to the finals for the southeast on the first season of Nasville Star years ago. My wife plays the piano also, however we rarely play at all. I have to play and sing for a wedding tommorrow and in practicing the new song I've had the all fimiliar fingertips pain after not picking it up very often.

Troy Pratten
(TJGator) - F

Locale: The Middle of Big 12-3+1 Country
Yessir. on 10/28/2011 21:43:28 MDT Print View

Trombone. Started in 7th grade, played through high school, played in the University of Florida Marching Band and Basketball Band from 2002-2006.

Still pick it up from time to time.

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1)

Locale: East Tennessee, US
UF on 10/28/2011 22:45:59 MDT Print View

psssh
Pride of the Sunshine Band... total garbage.

JK=)

EDIT to emphasize that I really am joking... although they DID really screw us over a couple of years ago. Reserving a practice field for us... WITHOUT ANY YARD MARKERS?! What gives?!

Looking back, that's a pretty decent joke... jerks ;D

Edited by cwayman1 on 10/28/2011 22:49:08 MDT.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
yep on 10/29/2011 10:33:05 MDT Print View

yep, I play.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: yep on 10/29/2011 15:37:31 MDT Print View

Bass, guitar and some piano. And yes, I am the punk rock ultaligher

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Do you play an instrument on 10/29/2011 20:08:36 MDT Print View

Like Dale I play a couple of my Native America Flutes in different keys. It is pretty easy to learn for me in the five hole configuration it's the only amount of holes my fingers and very limited music talent can handle . If you get a 6 hole flute you can always tie a piece of leather over the sixth hole. You can get music books also but freestyle playing is more fun.

My first flute was High Spirits Pocket flute in the key of A only 9 " long really high pitched and key of G only about 12 " long and more mellow sound,I also like the pocket flute their small enough to fit in your backpack . What I like about the High spirits flutes is they are drilled bored through instead of glued together halves.
I also did pick up a flute in key of D it about 18" long On Ebay for $35.00 made traditionally by LittleBird from New Mexico.
Terry

http://www.highspirits.com/

Edited by socal-nomad on 10/29/2011 20:10:23 MDT.

Mark Mendell
(mmendell) - M

Locale: Midwest
NEW Do you play an instrument on 10/29/2011 20:38:22 MDT Print View

Yep. Professionally.

Free-lance trombonist and teacher.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Do you play an instrument? on 10/30/2011 09:54:13 MDT Print View

Played trumpet in grade school/jr. high/high school. Played guitar for about 10 years, until I cut a fingertip off while working on a drilling rig.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
Do you play an instrument on 10/30/2011 14:25:03 MDT Print View

Another cool thread. I play any kind of percussion instrument I can get my hands on. I have played drums for jazz bands, marching bands, and now for a worship and music team at church. I need to figure out some kind of collapsable, lightweight bongo drum set-up for backpacking. I'll have to settle for hollow logs and an asprin bottle for a shaker for now!