Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG Rain Mitt Fabric
Display Avatars Sort By:
Webster Jorgensen
(WebsterJ) - F

Locale: Kansas City
MYOG Rain Mitt Fabric on 10/27/2011 07:53:35 MDT Print View

I'm going to sew some rain mitts. I have silnylon already, but was considering purchasing some WPB fabric from Quest Outfitters for this project.

The WPB fabrics they have are listed below. Any tips on which one to use? Or should I just use the silnylon?

EXTREME-3LAYER
STORMSHIELD
DRY-X
GENERIC WATERPROOF BREATHABLE
2.5 LAYER W/P/B
LT. WT. W/P/B
SPANDURA

Link to WPB page on Quest Outfitters: http://www.questoutfitters.com/h20.html#Waterproof/breathable Fabrics

I will be using these these in fall, winter and spring in the Kansas, Nebraska and Ozark areas.

Thanks.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: MYOG Rain Mitt Fabric on 10/27/2011 08:29:23 MDT Print View

I have some of the 2.5 layer WPB that I bought for some mits, gaitors, and a jacket. The dark grey feels like the face fabric might be a little tougher and it's a little heavier (6.3oz per linear yd vs 4.5 oz/lin yd for the ripstop face). DWR on both seems quite good. I haven't seen any of the other stuff but this seems pretty nice.wpb

Webster Jorgensen
(WebsterJ) - F

Locale: Kansas City
Sounds Good on 10/27/2011 11:04:06 MDT Print View

Sounds good. I'll give the 2.5 layer a shot.

Thanks.

Stephen Bodiya
(stephen@bodiya.com) - F

Locale: Michigan
eVent on 10/27/2011 17:44:07 MDT Print View

You can buy eVent from Ben at Goosefeet. Only problem is that you need to buy 5 yards. It'd be a great option if you plan on making some other things too.

http://goosefeet.webs.com/clearance.htm

edit: Oops all the 3-layer eVent is gone. 2 layer is left, but probably isn't a good option for mitts.

Edited by stephen@bodiya.com on 10/27/2011 17:45:22 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: eVent on 10/27/2011 18:03:34 MDT Print View

If you got 5 yards of 2 layer eVent, you could just use it unlined, and if after a while the membrane became damaged, you could just make a new pair - 5 yards would make a lot of mittens

Or, Quest has some 2.5 layer WPB I believe, which would be pretty close to eVent.