Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Questions regarding all layers of clothing for the AT in may/June
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions regarding all layers of clothing for the AT in may/June on 01/06/2007 21:37:45 MST Print View

Good luck with the Baseline. Those pockets would drive me crazy, and I like a much shorter length. I use plain running shorts (a la GoLite Marathon or similar) in combination with a basic pair of spandex boxer-briefs from Walmart. I forget the brand, but the spandex were about $8-12. They've gotten 800-900 miles (and counting). I also turned them inside-out for minimal seam exposure.

As far as the Liphe hat goes, I need to go ahead and stick my foot in my mouth because I've never used one before :) I just made baseless conjecture because they look tight-fitting. Your experience is worth more than mine. But a couple notes in favor of a larger knit cap: I like the looser fit for easier adjusting & ventilating, which makes them easy to use to make micro-adjustments when I'm on the move and still generating some heat. Easier to doff and don than gloves or a windshirt. That helps in the early morning and late evening hikes And there's also more fabric from top to bottom, which comes in handy to pull over my eyes to make some artificial darkness when I sleep. In those summer months it can be pretty bright out until 830-10pm.

To give you an idea of the temps. The warmest I got was in the high 80s, Fahrenheit; lowest I got was high 30s in the Smokies @ Icewater Springs shelter, and a couple in the low 40s in the Smokies and on Mt. Rogers in VA. Most of the time it was high 40s at night.

Got my fingers crossed that I'll be out there too, come summertime.
-Mark

Stephen Nelson
(stephenn6289) - F

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions regarding all layers of clothing for the AT in may/June on 01/07/2007 11:38:13 MST Print View

I will certainly start looking for those spandex briefs, thanks. I like the Liphe becase it is tight, and it doesn't fall of my haed in the night like other beanie-style hats do. It isn't as warm, but seems like it would be adaquate for sumer conditions to minimize head chill wihout causing perspiration. The tiny running shorts, I have some from my track/cros country uniform that are maybe 10 in in length, but as a courtsy to other hikers, think that they are too small. The are certainly comfortable and do not restrict movement, but the full splits make it look as if I am wearing little more than underwear. Would the spandex unerneath make me appear more clothed?

Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Questions regarding all layers of clothing for the AT in may/June on 01/08/2007 00:04:02 MST Print View

The spandex will help if you're looking for more modesty, yes. But I don't think thru-hikers would have any problem with you showing a little leg. Things like that tend not to matter very much on the trail.
-Mark

Frank Deland
(rambler)

Locale: On the AT in VA
gear list on 01/08/2007 08:57:21 MST Print View

Test out your pant combo as much as possible before you leave in order to check on chaffing as someone else mentioned. If your "cold armor" shirt is similar to a long sleeved underwear top, another warm layer such as a 100 wt. fleece would be nice. Last August, hiking from Double Spring shelter up Clingsman, I was cold wearing just a t-shirt under raingear on a wnidy rainy day. Later a windshirt over a fleece warmed me right up. The Golite windshirt is a great piece of gear, lightweight and functional. Another option to a fleece glove is a glove liner. These are often wool and roll up into the size of a pair of street socks or a fist when you are not wearing them. I've been glad to have them on windy ridges both in June and August in NH and Maine. Even at 5000' in the Smokies, however, the trail is amazingly in the trees and often huge trees at that. BTW When NC and Tenn. agreed to donate the land to become a National Park, part of the agreement was that no fees would ever be charged. There is no fee to enter the GSMNP!

Edited by rambler on 01/08/2007 08:59:20 MST.

Stephen Nelson
(stephenn6289) - F

Locale: Sunshine State
Go Lite Spandex shorts on 01/08/2007 11:12:50 MST Print View

Thank you everyone. I am certainly debating the clothing issue a lot. If conditions got really bad, It would be nice to have some warmer clothes. Does anyone own the Go Lite Spandex shorts? They seem like they would be long enough to prevent chaffing yet retain excellent freedom of motion and breathablity.