Conservation lands generate billions of $ for national economy, study finds
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Conservation lands generate billions of $ for national economy, study finds on 10/26/2011 09:32:43 MDT Print View

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2011/oct/26/conservation-lands-generate-billions-national-economy-study-finds/

These wonderful public lands now have some financial data to back up what we already know-
they are invaluble.

" In 2006, the total contribution from outdoor sports in the United States was nearly $730 billion per year, generating more than 6.4 million U.S. jobs and $99 billion in federal and state tax revenues. This includes hunting, fishing, wildlife viewing and other outdoor sports that include hiking, camping, skiing, paddle sports and bicycling.
In 2006, the combined spending effect of hunting, fishing and wildlife watching associated with National Forest Service land totaled $9.5 billion in annual retail sales, supported 189,400 jobs and provided $1.01 billion in annual federal tax revenues.
Every million dollars invested in residential historic rehabilitation generates approximately 36 jobs, $1.24 million in income and nearly $200,000 in state and local taxes.
In 2010, 15 million visitors to Civil War battlefields managed by the National Park Service in just five states (Missouri, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia) generated 7,700 jobs."

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
sell those Federal lands on 10/26/2011 10:53:03 MDT Print View

This study comes right on the back of a big push out here in the Northwest to sell off "surplus" Federal lands.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
who's pushing on 10/26/2011 12:23:58 MDT Print View

I bet you could follow the money to see who is "pushing".

I'd like to own a little
prime elk habitat, or maybe a section of fly fishing stream or some desert sitting
atop an aquifer near Las Vegas.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: who's pushing on 10/26/2011 12:58:39 MDT Print View

I'de like some federal land so I can make a Copper mine

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Conservation lands generate billions of $ for national economy, study finds on 10/26/2011 13:20:33 MDT Print View

Of course I would support public lands even if they lost money. But this shows why our government is always guilt tripping us to pay more fees on top of the taxes already paid ( I mean you love 'merica right? don't complain pay up)
and why someones always pushing for more development and service/restaurant contracts.
Its a cash cow.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Conservation lands generate billions of $ for national economy, study finds on 10/27/2011 08:11:55 MDT Print View

http://www.nfwf.org/Content/ContentFolders/NationalFishandWildlifeFoundation/HomePage/ConservationSpotlights/TheEconomicValueofOutdoorRecreation.pdf

Source report.