Sony NEX Lens Impressions
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Sony 10-18 on 09/06/2012 07:55:30 MDT Print View

The rumor mill says the ultrawide zoom for the NEX is will be available in Nov (2012). Reportedly, it will be a 10-18mm f4 constant aperture lens with a street price of around $800. Steep price tag. Sounds like it's a high quality lens; constant aperture isn't usually found in 'consumer grade' lenses... that may mean it's going to be quite large also.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

New NEX Lenses on 09/12/2012 08:04:54 MDT Print View

The new lenses are in the store (pre-order only).

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644718503

The 16-50 pancake is interesting, however reports suggest this is going to be a new 'kit lens'. I don't expect the quality of it to be better than the current 18-55, but who knows.

The "52.5mm" 1.8 is actually a 35mm 1.8, not sure why they decided to list the equivalent focal length of that lens.

The 10-18 is larger than the kit lens, but not as large as I imagined. It's actually about the size of the 18-55 kit lens. Same length, 1/2 inch wider at the widest diameter, and 1.1 ounces heavier. The 62mm filter is sort of a downer, but it is an UWA zoom afterall.

So what do you guys think? The wide angle zoom we've been waiting for is finally here. Is it too large? Is it too expensive? A NEX + 10-18 essentially makes for a $1400 P&S with an excellent sensor and the option of adding additional lenses and/or VF. In the camp next door is the RX100 for $650 with a longer (but not as wide) zoom lens, smaller sensor, no lens options, smaller overall package, and about 4 ounces lighter.

Sony definetly gives us some things to think about, and this is not to mention the RX1 (which is quite a niche machine)!

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: New NEX Lenses on 09/12/2012 14:21:25 MDT Print View

Jacob,

Thanks for being the go to guy on the NEX system.

The new 16-50mm lens really makes the NEX appealing for backpacking as the general do everything lens that I would likely take on the trail.

Two issues that I have with the NEX are:

1. Having to mess around with switching lenses on the trail

2. Not being pocketable

The smaller 16-50mm lens make the NEX more appealing.

However, the RX100 is likely the better choice because of the form factor...is is a pocket camera with a larger sensor.

The question is this....does anyone have photos they took with the RX100 that they can post here so we can compare the image quality of both cameras?

Is the NEX5 that much better than the RX100 to warrant the extra bulk?

The negative to the RX100 is the high cost...getting awefully close to the NEX5, but buying extra lenses will be the cost killer for the NEX vs. RX100.

For me, given that I might be completely fine with just using the 16-50mm lenses, might not be an issue.

Anyway, my circular thinking keeps going and going and going.....

-Tony

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: New NEX Lenses on 09/13/2012 08:34:39 MDT Print View

Tony, at web sizes the RX100 looks as good as the next thing. As tempting as it is to compare it to other cameras, I wouldn't do that. Take it for what it is, a high end P&S with a sensor that rivals or bests anything else in the P&S world. If you want a camera to take great pics of your trips, the RX100 should satisfy.

If you have some specific reason to want a NEX that's another story of course.

The 16-50 has not been proven yet. Judging by the size, weight, and price it might not be any better than the 18-55 kit lens, and still not a very pocket sized system.

It seems like the RX100 may be the answer for you.

Edited by JacobD on 09/13/2012 08:35:56 MDT.

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Locale: Cairngorms National Park
Sony NEX Lens Impressions on 09/13/2012 09:11:05 MDT Print View

The 16-50 is appealing for its very low weight and wider angle than the 18-55. If it's as good as the latter I'll be very happy with it. I've been using the 18-55 for two years, on the NEX 5 and then the NEX 7, and it's a fine lens.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: 16-50 on 09/18/2012 15:40:44 MDT Print View

Hey Chris. I think the kit lens is pretty good too (for a kit lens anyway). At 24mm it's hard to beat for the cost. Not terrible at 18mm either.

Some early sample photos I saw from the new 16-50 looked very promising. At 16mm I'd say it easily looked better than the 16/2.8.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Zeiss to release AF lenses for NEX on 09/18/2012 15:45:09 MDT Print View

So the latest interesting development, Zeiss will be releasing a new line of lenses specifically for APS-C mirrorless cameras. NEX E-Mount is included among these, and the lenses will have AF to boot!

Ultimately, this should be awesome. Sounds like the first of them will trickle out summer 2013. Long way off... enough time to get ready for the sticker shock.

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=2864

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
rx100 vs. nex kit on 09/20/2012 06:49:03 MDT Print View

I'm considering the rx100 vs. nex 5r and 16-50 for backpacking too, and I came across this comparison of the nex 7 with kit vs. the rx100

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/p66599906

Obviously the kit lens doesn't do the nex-7 justice, but that there is any comparison is pretty impressive. I opened the files up in photoshop, and some I guessed wrong. Nex with kit has the slight edge at widish angles, but not by much. RX100 has a huge advantage at telephoto.

Now just waiting to see some sample images from the 16-50. Anyone have any links? thanks.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: rx100 vs. nex kit on 09/20/2012 08:09:58 MDT Print View

Serge, if your primary interest is using the kit lens, then you're probably best off with the RX100.

The NEX 18-55 is not a bad lens, it's best in the middle of its range and worst at the long end. There were just one or two sample photos I saw from the 16-50 and I don't have a link handy, but at 16mm it looked better than either the 16/2.8 or 18-55 @18mm, in my opinion. By better, I mean much better detail in the corners.

Unless you need high iso (or plan on lifting shadows much in post), thin depth of field, or interchangeable lenses, the RX100 makes a lot of sense.

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
thanks jacob on 09/21/2012 00:35:25 MDT Print View

your talking good sense. As someone who hasn't taken a camera out backpacking for a while, I can see the lighter smaller RX getting brought along more often. I was working as a photographer for a while, but I really like the casual nature of just 'taking snaps' rather than really 'working' a scene, especially on fast and light trips.

Curious to see how that 16-50 works out. Sony is certainly stepping up to the plate. Sort of makes other camera co's look bad.

Kyle Meyer
(kylemeyer)

Locale: Portland, OR
Fujian 35mm ƒ/1.7 CCTV Lens on 12/05/2012 23:30:38 MST Print View

I just picked up a lens originally designed for security cameras from Amazon for $30. (edit: can't get html link to work, so here it is:)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WIK6KU/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789
&creative=390957&tag=kylmey-20&creativeASIN=B004WIK6KU&linkCode=as2

I just got it tonight and, in short, it's amazing! It comes with an adapter for your NEX camera and looks ridiculously small and out of place when it's on. It weighs 4.9oz with the adapter, lens cap, and rear lens cap (not included), so it's perfect for a second lens.

It's performance is really strange and makes for delightful photos, especially wide open. It's sharp in the center and soft on the left and right sides, giving a bit of a tilt-shift look to photographs. If you search the internet for this lens, you can see many examples of really interesting photos that result.

Definitely worth the $30 for a 52mm (effective) large aperture manual focus lens.

Edited by kylemeyer on 12/05/2012 23:33:35 MST.

Matthew Marasco
(BabyMatty) - F

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks
re: on 12/08/2012 21:25:02 MST Print View

I'll second that, I love the CCTV lens on the NEX 5n. I recently got a Canon FD 50/1.4, but before that I rarely took that lil guy off. It's so light! It makes for some interesting shots, and I find the bokeh to be pleasing.