Forum Index » Mountaineering & Alpinism » Pyramids above treeline in the winter?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Zachary Arnold
(zrarnold) - F

Locale: Southern Spain
Pyramids above treeline in the winter? on 10/25/2011 03:12:07 MDT Print View

I have heard some conflicting information about pyramids. I am looking for the most light weight option for above treeline in the winter. I have never used a pyramid tent before. Usually the best option is a single wall tent. Some models can get pretty light but not as light as a pyramid. And the light models are extremely expensive.

How much wind can a pyramid take? I don't know if I would trust it for mountaineering, but around 1lb I would really really like to. Plus I can use it in the summer instead of my tarp if I want.

Does anyone have experience using a pyramid in full out winter above tree line conditions? Can they handle it? Would you trust your life with a pyramid over a single wall tent? How about set up? Can you set it up by yourself with heavy winds and gloves? Simplicity is a big issue for me.

I will be using it between 10,000 to 14,000 feet in the Sierra Nevada's here in Spain. Lots of dry snow but very hard winds during the winter.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Pyramids above treeline in the winter? on 10/25/2011 03:36:14 MDT Print View

IF the centre pole is strong enough, and IF the fabric is strong enough, then you only have 3 other things to worry about.

* The design is very dependent on *all* the stakes holding - all of them.
* The windward side can flatten down a bit, so guy lines at the mid0height are advised.
* You can get a bit of condensation in them as a top vent is tricky to do.

Me, for light-weight I would only use a double-skin tunnel tent at that altitude. A heavy geodesic dome works, but is heavy. The rest ... :-)

Cheers

Kai Larson
(KaiPL) - F

Locale: Colorado
Pyramid is great on 10/25/2011 09:24:39 MDT Print View

I use my pyramid as my main winter skiing tent, above treeline, in high winds, and have never had any issues with it. In my opinion, a pyramid is the best snow tent.

The security of a pyramid tent in really high winds relies on having adequate snow cover
If the snow is deep enough, you can bury the bottom edge of the tent in the snow, and the wind won't get under the edge and into the tent.

It's definitely true that you need to stake it out well. I typically use skis on all four corners.

The only limitation on a pyramid is that you need to make sure you have a relatively large space to pitch the tent. In order for it to work well, you need to be able to stretch it out. Because of this, pyramids work much better as skiing or climbing base camp tents, as opposed to "on route" climbing tents.

Zachary Arnold
(zrarnold) - F

tents on 10/27/2011 03:34:13 MDT Print View

Thanks for the advice. I kind of already knew the answers but with about 1lb per person with a pyramid I would love to take it to the mountains. On-route it has to large of a profile and it is probably way more of a hassle then I would want to deal with. But I don't do any winter alpine climbing just general mountaineering, it could be great.

The benefit of a good single wall is the fact that when your cold and tired you can just get inside and easily set it up, then go outside stake it out and have a sturdy reliable shelter. But they are heavy.

Really cant win with this.

John West
(skyzo)

Locale: Borah Gear
Re: pyramid on 10/31/2011 22:48:27 MDT Print View

I used a MYOG 9x9 pyramid in the Crazies in Montana this past summer. We used it on a high alpine bench (~10,000ft), and it held up well in the winds. We put rocks around the edges so that wind could not get underneath very well. I use a fairly thick center pole (.625"), and there was no flexing at all. The silnylon held up to the high winds we encountered that night just fine.

Unfortunately I don't get to use my pyramid tent as much as I would like because most people I hike with prefer a floor

Zachary Arnold
(zrarnold) - F

Re: Re: Pyramids above treeline in the winter? on 12/27/2011 20:44:03 MST Print View

Any suggestions on a tunnel tent? I have been looking for some used integral designs and black diamond tents for sale.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Pyramids above treeline in the winter? on 01/05/2012 09:38:08 MST Print View

http://warmlite.com/tents/tents-technical

http://warmlite.com/products-page/tents