Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Girls!!!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Girls!!! on 10/24/2011 15:26:19 MDT Print View

I try to get out and do a tempo run on Sunday afternoons, my daughter often joins me setting pace while riding her bike. This is something we both enjoy and look forward to sharing.

This past Saturday we had a Halloween party at our house for my daughters first grade class so come Sunday she was feeling the effects of to much play and not enough sleep. I enquired multiple times if she wanted to go out for our run and each time she politely said "no way".

Giving up I decided to head out on the trail with my two border collies for a nice long run in the dirt. Upon returning home my daughter was in full melt down because I had gone without her. Not wanting to disappoint her change of heart I switched into my road shoes and off we went.

We covered five miles at six minute per mile tempo in beautiful fall conditions. Me - I suffered to maintain our target pace, my daughter - she sang songs for me the entire distance. :)

Edited by thomdarrah on 10/24/2011 21:10:36 MDT.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: "Girls!!!" on 10/24/2011 15:35:19 MDT Print View

You're a great dad, Thom. Sometimes I wish there was a LIKE button on BPL. :)

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Re: RE: "Girls!!!" on 10/24/2011 17:11:51 MDT Print View

Agree, a like button would be good. The crazyguyonabike forums have a really good button, allows people to agree or disagree or say its funny, etc.

And thats a great story Thom :-)

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Girls!!!" on 10/24/2011 21:30:32 MDT Print View

That's an awesome story Thom!

It sounds like you have yourself an excellent pacer.

Great tempo run as well, you have some kick.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Girls!!! on 10/24/2011 22:06:22 MDT Print View

Eugene,
It took all I had to keep on her wheel and she's singing the whole way! I have no kick.

Edited by thomdarrah on 10/24/2011 22:08:17 MDT.

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1)

Locale: East Tennessee, US
'I ain't got no kicks' on 10/24/2011 22:51:43 MDT Print View

Great story, Thom!

Is it weird that I am VERY-MUCH-SO looking forward to doing that one day?

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Girls!!! on 10/25/2011 07:38:44 MDT Print View

Nice job Thom.
Impressed that after a nice long run you were able to keep a 6min pace for 5 miles. And impressed that she is covering 5 miles at that age.
And nice choice of priorities, good to hear stuff like this.
thanks

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Girls!!! on 10/25/2011 08:01:04 MDT Print View

Ben,
The course was flat to slightly rolling with little if any wind, I need every advantage. When we first started early last summer I would have to give my daughter a push every now and then to keep on pace, now I struggle to keep up. Her passion this week was to work on riding with just one hand steering, needless to say we had more then one close call.

My daughter is looking forward to a new bike next summer, one with gears (a big girl bike I'm often being reminded). The adventures are just beginning I'm sure, I only wish I were younger (I know guys my age that have grand kids my daughters age)!