Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
How hard is it to put a headhole in the middle of a down quilt?
Display Avatars Sort By:
robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
How hard is it to put a headhole in the middle of a down quilt? on 10/23/2011 14:53:10 MDT Print View

Since I now have a down quilt on order, I was wondering how tough it would be to put a headhole in it ala Sierra Sniveler. Any hints or suggestion? I'm picturing myself sitting in the middle of thousands of down clusters lol

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: How hard is it to put a headhole in the middle of a down quilt? on 10/24/2011 22:51:04 MDT Print View

A smiley face shape is great because it keeps your head warm as well. No need to make a hole, just a cut and sew.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: How hard is it to put a headhole in the middle of a down quilt? on 10/25/2011 04:01:56 MDT Print View

Do you mean under controlled conditions at home, or accidentally in the middle of the night in the field?
:-)

Cheers

Andy Duncan
(bluewater)

Locale: SoCal
Re: How hard is it to put a headhole in the middle of a down quilt? on 10/25/2011 23:43:10 MDT Print View

I've added head holes like the JRB quilts to my last two quilt projects. I'm not sure if the quilt that you ordered is baffled or sewn-thru. It would probably be a lot easier on a sewn-thru quilt. I have been making quilts with 1" to 1 3/4" baffles and adding the head hole to the middle baffle. It wouldn't be too difficult to just push all of the down to one side on your new quilt, then add something like this and sew it back up. Here's a few photos of the process. Good luck!

baffle w/ head hole

baffle with head hole

quilt

quilt closed

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Head Hole on 10/26/2011 03:42:05 MDT Print View

The quilt I ordered is baffled.
Thanks for the pics!