Forum Index » Website & Forum Admin/Support » BPL Credibility

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andrew Kohler
(april) - F
BPL Credibility on 12/31/2006 09:44:30 MST Print View

BPL gear review presents Drop Stoppers as the best rain gear for lightweight backpackers. Is it merely a coincidence that BPL gear shop is the only source for Drop Stoppers? For many months the medium size has been out of stock and now the large size is out of stock too. Is there a flaw with the product that they can’t resolve? If they can’t deliver the product why is it still listed in the shop and the review still posted?

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: BPL Credibility on 12/31/2006 10:17:30 MST Print View

Andrew,

You might consider Gossamer Gears Dri Ducks
compare the specs:

BPL (Drop Stoppers) Micropore Rain Suit:
Materials: Microporous Polypropylene Laminate
Size: M/L Pants: 4.0 oz / Jacket: 6.1 oz
Color: Khaki
Price: Non-Member: $20.00. Premium Member: $16.99 (Out of Stock)

DStoper

Gossamer Gear (Dri Ducks) Micropore Rain Suit:
Materials: Microporous laminate composite.
Size: M: Pants: 3.7 oz / Jacket: 5.0
Color: Khaki Beige
Price: $20.00 (In Stock)

DDuck

Edited by FastWalker on 12/31/2006 19:22:27 MST.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: BPL Credibility on 12/31/2006 12:23:17 MST Print View

Gossamer Gear is selling the DriDucks, not the Drop Stoppers. They are the same material. The Drop Stoppers is a little darker tan and maybe has a smoother outer suface.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: BPL Credibility on 12/31/2006 15:06:44 MST Print View

>>Is there a flaw with the product that they can’t resolve?

While some have reported using micropore rain gear for the length of a long trail(bring a roll of duct tape), many of us find them to be woefully inadequate in the durability department. For the record, I'm not particularly hard on gear and trashed mine over a four-day trip. I wrecked the pants the first time I sat down and made a huge rip in the jacket when I held onto a sign to prevent myself from being blown off the Continental Divide. I happened to catch myself in the act here:

Jan Unneberg
(BlueSkyII) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Re: BPL Credibility on 01/01/2007 08:49:52 MST Print View

I've found it beneficial to buy jackets a size larger than needed in both Dri Ducks and Frogg Toggs materials. The extra sizing provides more slack and seems to reduce the frequency of tears.