Forum Index » GEAR » HMG Windrider Owners

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: @Anna on 10/02/2012 09:44:01 MDT Print View

Brad, what year is your Windrider?

As far as mesh is concerned, there is the Windrider SW that uses dyneema gridstop.

The 2012 versions of the Windrider added the thicker, much stiffer stays from the Porter models, pre-shaped but can be bent. Increased padded on the shoulder straps and belt. A wider belt (4" at the widest).

My concern with the Gorilla would be the suspect consistence in construction quality. Some are being made with shoulder straps that are attached to the main bag much too close, causing chaffing and carry comfort issues.

Edited by FamilyGuy on 06/16/2013 09:20:08 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Windrider on 10/02/2012 15:41:41 MDT Print View

My understanding is that the Goriila harness system has been completely redesigned and the shoulder strap spacing in no longer an issue. I have the old Gorilla and have found it very comfortable, as do many others. My main issue with the Goriila has been construction quality with the top compression strap pulling out and one of the side bungy compression system loops doing the same. I am considering the Porter or the expedition as a larger tougher pack. HMG must be doing something right looking at all the people they have as Ambassadors :). The new Elemental Horizon's pack looks great as well.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn)

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: @Anna on 10/02/2012 16:35:01 MDT Print View

Purchased the Windrider in Oct 2011. Not sure if the 2012 version. It does have the 4" belt and the increased padded shoulder straps. However comparing these with the Gorilla is like comparing apples to oranges. I realize some have issues with wider straps, so it's not for everyone. Can't comment on the Porter or Mchale.

The mesh issue is that it is not stretchy or easy to access gear. Nothing to do with durability.

The older Gorilla and 2012 both carry like a dream to me. I have noticed no construction quality issues, so can't comment.

I like both packs a lot, just think the Gorilla carries extra weight better.

Brad