What do you do for a living?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Guilty on 10/21/2011 11:29:18 MDT Print View

You guys are all nerds. Well, except for Tony of course.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Job on 10/21/2011 11:48:59 MDT Print View

Dan Durston,

I hope my question was not inappropriate. I really enjoyed your search for a Sierra trip thread and was impressed with your wife's hike to the summit of Whitney based on what you told us about here previous hiking experience.

You sound like a wonderful couple. I suspected that you were up there without her.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Re: What do you do for a living? on 10/21/2011 11:55:31 MDT Print View

"Often engineers and accountants do not interact a lot with people at work versus the amount of time they spend on their immediate tasks. "

So you know how to tell if an engineer is an extravert? They look at the OTHER person's
feet when talking to them.

Sorry, son and son in law of engineers.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Am I still in? on 10/21/2011 12:07:53 MDT Print View

I sue people who injure my clients in one of about as may ways as you can imagine. My undergrad degree was mechanical engineering, though, does that count?

Gerry Volpe
(gvolpe)

Locale: Vermont
work on 10/21/2011 12:28:38 MDT Print View

Lead teacher at an outdoor therepeutic program for at-risk youth.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: work on 10/21/2011 13:30:33 MDT Print View

Violinist. M.M. in performance and pedagogy. I have a private studio of students I teach and perform in various gigs. I also work in the family lawn sprinkler business.

(Alas, I think I have a suppressed engineer inside me though)

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
RETIRED!! on 10/21/2011 16:35:43 MDT Print View

Retired high school teacher.
(environmental studies, psychology and history) Semi-geek.

Currently ski patroller in winter, backpacker all other seasons.

Edited by Danepacker on 10/23/2011 15:09:44 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Wage Slave/Hiker Trash on 10/21/2011 17:14:47 MDT Print View

"Basically my goal in life at this moment is to scrape another 5 grand together and take another long walk."

It's called the Peter Pan Syndrome, usually incurable, although getting married has been known to reduce it to a manageable, but chronic, affliction.

May you never grow up.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: RETIRED!! on 10/21/2011 17:27:13 MDT Print View

Worked in performance analysis/tuning of large scale IBM data base/data communications systems, mostly as a consultant.

Education was in Middle East studies. Go figure.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
What do you do for a living? on 10/21/2011 18:37:50 MDT Print View

My business card says I'm a Systems Engineer...

My son is also a light weight backpacker and in his final year of Computer Engineering. He calls me a Pretend-gineer. :)

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: What do you do for a living? on 10/21/2011 19:10:59 MDT Print View

I am the Customer Service Dept. manager at a mortgage company. Also includes the mail room, file room, imaging, and special projects. I have to wear a lot of different hats which is good because it helps to keep me from getting bored. For example, I just got through coordinating the mailing of 40,000 letters to our customers letting them know the unintended consequences of the Dodd Frank Act.

Ryan

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
What do you do for a living? on 10/21/2011 19:33:39 MDT Print View

Retired paralegal.

A few years ago in a thread here people started including their Myers/Briggs scores. A lot of them were INTJ's. I'm an ISTJ, a/k/a an uncreative nerd.

Michael Williams
(qldhike)

Locale: Queensland
What do you do for a living? on 10/21/2011 19:57:46 MDT Print View

Clinical Pharmacist here.

There has to be a few more healthcare related professions around surely? I would have thought some physiotherapists and doctors for sure

Ethan Simoneau
(kf6ivi)
What do you do for a living? on 10/21/2011 21:24:25 MDT Print View

Just a paramedic.

Nathan REN
(ren308) - F
job on 10/22/2011 03:15:31 MDT Print View

work for a bags manufacturer as salesman in China.

Dan M
(r4gl7q) - MLife

Locale: Arizona
Re: What do you do for a living? on 10/22/2011 07:47:05 MDT Print View

80GHz Collision Avoidance/Adaptive Cruise Control test engineer.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
What do you do for a living? on 10/22/2011 08:07:55 MDT Print View

After a long career as a public health dentist, with heavy training in dental forensics, I'm now essentially retired. Once in a while my CU dental school department chair asks me to work on their mobile clinic and teach students how to provide proper dentistry for uninsured children in remote settings. I also volunteer with a Federal disaster medical assistance team (e.g., hurricane relief). But mostly, I sit at my computer and trade stocks, keep tabs on the BPL forums, check e-mail, and bend titanium rods for the Zia grills. Then there's the important business of providing unsolicited advice to newbie backpackers shopping at the local REI for their first canister stove.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: must be more health care professionals on 10/22/2011 08:24:37 MDT Print View

Academic veterinarian (critical care medicine)

adam spates
(adamspates) - F

Locale: southeast
FSR on 10/22/2011 08:50:15 MDT Print View

I work 4 10hour days a week getting cussed out, called every name you can think of, having stuff thrown at me, guns and knives pulled on me, avoiding wasp nests and dog dung, running from pit bulls and every other useless dog, getting lied to , hearing peoples problems in life, all while disconnecting about 50 people per day's electricity because of their negligence to pay their electric bill for two months. I've been doing this for seven years, so I'm sure you can see why I enjoy gettting out into the wilderness away from society( I call it "escaping to reality"). I worked as a lineman previously, but I decided to bid on my current job because I didn't enjoy sitting down for supper, laying my head on the pillow, enjoying Thanksgiving dinner, enjoying my family at Chrismas etc etc and my phone ringing to call me back to work.

My wife and I are now working towards being as self sustained as possbible and opening a deer processing business to work 4 months out of the year.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: What do you do for a living? on 10/22/2011 08:57:27 MDT Print View

Software developer, writing software for medical research, sometimes clinical use