"Beer in a Can"
Display Avatars Sort By:
te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Cans on 11/02/2011 10:10:10 MDT Print View

I dont recall if this has been posted - a link to all the craft beer cans available. Im betting there are some that arent included yet.. http://www.craftcans.com/db.php?search=all&view=text

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 11/02/2011 10:10:48 MDT.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Re: Cans on 11/08/2011 08:34:31 MST Print View

http://www.craftcans.com/cigar-city-unveils-can-designsq-and-a-with-artist-geiger-powell

here's the swill for you lucky enough to get it.. Floridians and Georgia that I know of... Jai Alai is very good.

Tim Haynes
(timalan)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Beer in a Can on 11/08/2011 10:07:19 MST Print View

If you can get the Surly lineup, they make the best canned beers I've tried, but unfortunately, they aren't available in the VA/DC/MD/PA/NC/WV area that I hike in most of the time. We've got a lot of canned beer options, and I've tried most of them. The Oskar Blues varieties are still the winners in terms of what is readily available, but canned Guinness and Bodingtons aren't bad options, either, when Oskar Blues isn't available.

That said, I'm far more likely to pack in a tiny plastic bottle of an Irish cream or a sipping tequilla than I am to carry beer on the trail. For group trips, those tiny juice boxes of wine are pretty good options -- Target (in my area at least) carries a line of those wines that are above average. The Merlot, in particular, stands out.

Sorry ... didn't mean to thread drift. Back on topic, beer in cans: Surly if you can get it, Oskar Blues as a close runner up.

Michael Cockrell
(CAL-EE-FOR-NIA) - F

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA
Re: "Beer in a Can" on 11/08/2011 10:14:36 MST Print View

Old Speckled Hen!

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Beer in a Can on 11/08/2011 10:21:14 MST Print View

sweet. Tim, UPS is an option... ;)

also Avery does well. and SanTan. not to discount 21st Amendment. in VA i had their "live free or die" IPA. oddly, not available in AZ and is brewed in S.F, CA.
we CAN get Modus Hoperandi tho, one of the best.

check this!
for "international stout day" Phoenix metro area made the top 5 drinking cities twice. Whole Foods in Chandler and Trophy's Steakhouse. Awesome stats. http://blog.untappd.com/post/12516462044/stout-day-stats

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 11/08/2011 10:40:31 MST.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Beer in a Can on 11/08/2011 10:59:08 MST Print View

21A in a can is NOT brewed in California, it is a Midwest product trucked around the country.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Beer in a Can on 11/08/2011 11:18:01 MST Print View

cameron wrote "21A in a can is NOT brewed in California, it is a Midwest product trucked around the country"
really!
thats interesting. do you have a link or photo to share w/ me? im looking at 21A website and cannot find anything that would tell me it is not brewed in San Fransisco. i'll keep looking..still, i wish they'd come to town.

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 11/08/2011 11:28:47 MST.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Beer in a can on 11/08/2011 12:19:02 MST Print View

The 21A production brewery is in Cold Spring MN.

You won't see it on their packaging.
You won't hear it on their ads.

They keep it pretty quiet, but are open about it.
https://twitter.com/21stamendment/status/132473838779891712

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Beer in a can on 11/08/2011 12:26:14 MST Print View

thanks! the hellor high watermelon looks good. i'd like to try it.
UPDATE: i got a response from 21A (diana pierce) who confirmed that they brew at another brewery, using borrowed equipment. she likened it to coming to my house, and making her killer lasagna using my pans. ok, fair enough. their beer is still good.

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 11/08/2011 13:36:19 MST.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Beer in a can on 11/08/2011 13:51:43 MST Print View

te-wa

I drank some of that Watermelon beer this summer rafting the Snake. It tastes like watermelon! Watermelon beer, yep. Good beer for what it is. Sorta like the Rogue "Bacon Maple Beer" made for Voodoo doughnut. My buddy is the merchandising guy for Voodoo and he got me one (you have to buy a case of 22s or something weird IIRC) It tastes like bacon maple beer- straight up. Its good for what it is, but its one of those beers you drink one and then go back to a 'normal' beer. John at the Rogue is a ridiculous brewmaster for being able to get those flavors so right. but like I said... weird as hell.

Anyway the Hellor High Watermelon is definitely drinkable and good for chillin in the sun on a raft fo sho.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Re: Re: Beer in a can on 11/08/2011 14:41:21 MST Print View

right on.
speaking of beer, a place here in Tempe was selling bombers Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary stout for $1. (yes, one dollar) and a buddy is going to get one to me.
Thursday, another buddy is sharing 4 bombers of Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout.
ahh, a good week indeed. prosit!

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beer in a can on 01/14/2012 17:41:27 MST Print View

sierra nevada Pale ale is coming in cans. another good addition to my pack!

b s
(smyth) - F
Beer in a can on 01/14/2012 21:39:40 MST Print View

That's good news. I had a canned Central City Red Racer IPA tonight. Very good.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Beer in a plastic bottle on 01/14/2012 22:03:47 MST Print View

I was on a private GCNP raft trip and someone brought bottles of Anchor Steam. WTF? Bottles?!? On a raft trip? But they were brown plastic bottles that looked just like brown glass bottles from 5 feet away.

Best beer name and slogan (which I noticed first while barhopping in Utah with one of Alaska's few micro-brewpub owners):

Wasatch Beer's: Polygamy Porter "Why have just one"

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Young's Double Chocolate Stout on 01/19/2012 18:20:52 MST Print View

YUM!
stout

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Beer in a plastic bottle on 01/19/2012 18:26:35 MST Print View

"Best beer name"

Polygamy Porter is a good one, but I like the Thirsty Dog Brewing Co. beer names:

Old Leghumper, Stud Service Stout, Barktoberfest, and 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Beer names on 01/19/2012 18:39:22 MST Print View

Moose DroolMoose Drool

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Moose Drool on 01/19/2012 18:46:47 MST Print View

David,
I once attended a "beer tasting party" where we all brought craft beer, served them in plastic cups (for anonymity) and voted on our favorite.

My submission was Moose Drool, and it won!

Then again, my submission was one of the first few tasted (out of 20 or so different beers), and we were all pretty sloppy by the time we got to the other submissions :D

Edited by Konrad1013 on 01/19/2012 18:47:22 MST.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Moose Drool on 01/19/2012 18:53:48 MST Print View

Konrad,

When we tasted wine to pick one for our wedding, we lined up 8masked bottles and collected people's opinions (our's counted the most). It was striking how different one's impressions could be going 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 versus 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. But I think we did small enough sips that everyone was still sober when we marked our ballots.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Home brew on 01/19/2012 19:15:59 MST Print View

Just did my final rack of my first batch of Ben's home brew IPA. I need to find a way to get it in a light container. Wish me luck.