Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
"Beer in a Can"
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Ah..beer! on 10/23/2011 16:10:38 MDT Print View

I found a can of Tecate on the bank of Bubbs Creek last September right before the valley starts to close up underneath Forester Pass. I chilled it in the creek and proceeded to have a very enjoyable treat. Thank you trail angels!!!

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Beer on 10/23/2011 19:20:14 MDT Print View

Randy, have you tried the Mexican Logger? i havent seen it around here, but i do get Modus from time to time.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: "Beer in a Can" on 10/23/2011 19:49:47 MDT Print View

Anything new coming down the canning pipeline from your local breweries?.

So far, I haven't carrier any beer into the backcountry, but my discipline may break down when this bad boy becomes available in the spring.

Very impressive collection, Randy.

b s
(smyth) - F
Re: "Beer in a Can" on 10/23/2011 20:27:01 MDT Print View

Good info Dondo. I love Dale's Pale but always thought is could be a little hoppier. It's like they read my mind. And the 16 oz. can makes it only that much more enticing for packing. Looking forward to that one.

Any of you southwesterners ever had a Sante Fe Imperial Java? The only other canned imperial stout I've had is Oskar Blues Ten Fidy.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Beer on 10/24/2011 13:18:40 MDT Print View

I had the reverse happen to me last year on my ill-faited trip to Pear Lake in RMNP last October. I had placed a few beers in a snow bank and left one behind when I headed out. I passed a guy near the bottom with a fishing pole in his day pack who was heading for Finch Lake. I let him know that Finch is barren and that he'd have to go to Pear to fish. He was thinking about it when I remembered the lonely soldier I had left behind and I told him there was an ice cold Gordon's (now G'Knight) waiting for him if he went to Pear and where to find it. That cinched it and he said he'd take care of the beer for me. Win/win.

I haven't had the Mexican Logger yet, Te-Wa, but have been meaning to try it. I hear it's good.

Dondo, those cans are all from my local liquor store, Biggies in Conifer. It's in the King Soopers shopping center in Aspen Park. If you're passing by, check it out. Great selection and equally good prices. Speaking of which, check out this thread for a great place to stop for a beer if you're heading up 126 after a LCW trip: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=54536

Edited by rlnunix on 10/24/2011 14:38:28 MDT.

Mark Primack
(Bufa) - MLife

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland
Envy you Westerners on 10/24/2011 14:25:33 MDT Print View

I envy you westerners for only one thing--well, actually two: You have IPAs in cans and you have lots of mountains. Here in New England, the only canned IPA I have ever seen--and I look!, being an IPA guy, plus I work for the largest beer distributor on the East Coast and get to wander one of the big warehouses occasionally--is Dales, which isn't hoppy enough for my taste. My current favorite bottled brew is Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild--hoppy and sweet and 9.42 alcohol--perfect.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Envy you Westerners on 10/24/2011 15:06:02 MDT Print View

But, but, you have SNOOKI! She might drink all the beer though. Platform Vibram soled boots anyone?

Snooki

I think we have the basis for a whole new reality survival series-- "Survival with Snooki." Poor old Bear Grylls couldn't hold a candle.

Edited by dwambaugh on 10/24/2011 15:36:50 MDT.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Backpackers and IPAs on 10/24/2011 15:25:24 MDT Print View

Why do all backpackers I know like IPAs? They just seem to go together.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Sam Adams! on 10/24/2011 15:36:57 MDT Print View

This backpacker much prefers a mellow red to a bitter IPA!

If only Sam Adams was in a can!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Sam Adams! on 10/24/2011 15:46:41 MDT Print View

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you....

Sam Adams

http://www.craftcans.com/sam-adams-in-cans-founder-jim-koch-says-there-will-probably-come-a-day

Got you all excited, didn't I! Someday.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: ""Beer in a Can"" on 10/24/2011 15:52:44 MDT Print View

I'm with Stephen. I love Sam Adams. Dale, that's just plain mean.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Beer on 10/24/2011 16:01:08 MDT Print View

I did a Trans-Sierra Dayhike over the weekend, so I am licking my wounds now. It was about 22.5 miles in the John Muir Wilderness of California.

The leader and his team hiked from Lake Edison to Rock Creek and arrived well after dark on Saturday evening. I believe it took them 13 hours for the difficult direction. Then there were three of us who hiked from Rock Creek to Lake Edison on Sunday, and there was less than one foot of snow at the high pass. We didn't finish until well ever dark in 12.5 hours. Thank heavens for modern headlamps.

I had consumed only 1.5 quarts of liquid during the hike, so I was probably a little dehydrated by the finish. I had lost five pounds of body weight as a result, so I am busy now trying to restore that with a can or three of beer. It's a multipurpose thing, so I can probably build something out of the empty aluminum.

---B.G.---

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: RE: Canned Adams on 10/24/2011 16:12:25 MDT Print View

"I'm with Stephen. I love Sam Adams. Dale, that's just plain mean."

Hehehe-- I would take the reins and get some letters off to Jim Koch. Some companies listen. Sorry to get a rise out of you Sam Adams fans-- too easy :)

This thread did get me inspired to check out a local micro-brew store and by golly, they had 10-12 brands in cans, many of the ones reported here. No Sam Adams--- yet.

I've punked my wife a couple times with beers while hiking. On our first sea kayaking trip, she brought really Spartan hiking food and I had iced beer and canned chili under the back hatch in my boat. She was sitting by the fire munching Sailor crackers and cheese when I started unloading my boat. The look on her face was priceless. I pulled a similar stunt this summer at the end of a long day hike, with a couple cold brews in the trunk and nice deli sandwiches. Big points!

Edited by dwambaugh on 10/24/2011 16:20:55 MDT.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Re: RE: Canned Adams on 10/24/2011 16:27:17 MDT Print View

I would love it if Sam came in a can.
I think the only reason most craft/micro brews seems to be hoppy is that its the easiest way to separate themselves in the market place from mainstream beer.
For instance, a micro brew pilsner is not as obviously different from mainstream beers to the average non connoisseur as a strong bitter or thick dark stout ect.
I personally like a more balanced beer -not to bitter like a SA Larger.
I think IPAs in general are more popular in the west because IPAs were invented for hot weather.

Edited by MAYNARD76 on 10/24/2011 16:33:18 MDT.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Bigges in Conifer on 10/24/2011 16:46:49 MDT Print View

>>Biggies in Conifer. It's in the King Soopers shopping center in Aspen Park.

I almost always hit that plaza before a LCW (or beyond) trip if I am along the 285 corridor. Leave Friday after work, stop at Qdoba for a quick burrito and then hit Biggies for the post-hike beer in a cooler.

Good stuff. :)

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Re: Re: RE: Canned Adams on 10/25/2011 09:46:57 MDT Print View

"I think IPAs in general are more popular in the west because IPAs were invented for hot weather"

part of it, i suppose. the other part is the w. coast style of IPA is done with hops that grow in the area. remember, Washington state is the worlds second largest hops producer. it's no wonder why w. coast styles usually have the three "C's" and simcoe, amarillo etc..

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
IPAs on 10/25/2011 10:26:43 MDT Print View

>> I think the only reason most craft/micro brews seems to be hoppy is that its the easiest way to separate themselves in the market place from mainstream beer.
For instance, a micro brew pilsner is not as obviously different from mainstream beers to the average non connoisseur as a strong bitter or thick dark stout ect.

That, plus it's easier (relatively) to make a good ale than it is to make a good lager. I can think of maybe half a dozen breweries making lagers I like...easily quadruple+ that if we're talking IPAs and BWs.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
120 ibu in a can?? on 10/26/2011 09:18:29 MDT Print View

Well, 120 ibu in a can will probably affect the flavor, what with the lining all dissolved and everything! Ha ha.

Personally, I haven't given much time to the can trend for craft beers because, although its great for light management, the aluminum can is otherwise a trainwreck for holding fine beer. The can does impart flavor, the sharp-edged mouth frustrates a good pour and beer that good deserves a pour rather than a can opener and a shotgun, ho ho. I'll stick with dark brown and deep green bottled beers for the good stuff and cheapass bears in the can for those times when it's appropriate.

Besides, when you're backpacking, nothing explodes on the rocks like a well-lobbed glass bottle.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Cans on 10/26/2011 21:04:25 MDT Print View

"Personally, I haven't given much time to the can trend for craft beers because, although its great for light management, the aluminum can is otherwise a trainwreck for holding fine beer. The can does impart flavor, the sharp-edged mouth frustrates a good pour and beer that good deserves a pour rather than a can opener and a shotgun, ho ho. I'll stick with dark brown and deep green bottled beers for the good stuff and cheapass bears in the can for those times when it's appropriate."

That used to be the case but for quite a few years beer cans (at least micros) have been using a water based liner so the beer doesn't come in contact with metal. I don't know about not getting a good pour as it seems the same to me. I do pour cans and bottles into a glass when not in the backcountry but am more than happy to drink one out of the can when I am. To me it has nothing to do with cans vs bottles as I personally think that's no longer relevant. It's about drinking what you like and for me a lot of what I like comes in cans. And the weight savings is nice when you want to bring a couple along. Don't get me wrong, my beer fridge has more types of beers in bottles than it does in cans. But that's based on what the beers I like happen to come in, not because bottled beer is superior.

But the bottom line for me is HYOH and DWYL (drink what you like)!

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Keweenaw on 11/01/2011 16:17:11 MDT Print View

Haven't decided yet if I like their beer, but the cans are nice.

pick axe blonde