Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
"Beer in a Can"
Display Avatars Sort By:
te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Home brew on 02/05/2012 20:10:21 MST Print View

sweet! my first attempt was an IPA also it came out ok. imma do a DIPA or oatmeal stout next.

anyone find cans of Jai Alai (FL or GA or NC) send them here, i'll pay or trade.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Oh yeah! Oscar Blues does it again. on 03/13/2012 20:45:11 MDT Print View

Oscar Blues has come out with an IPA, Deviant Dale's. It's excellent. 8% alcohol in a 16 oz can! I'd have preferred a 12 oz. But that's just me. BA calls it a DIPA but at 8% it seems in between an IPA and DIPA, which they already have with Gubna. Whatever they call it, I'll be calling for more.

DD

Edited by rlnunix on 03/13/2012 20:46:07 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Oh yeah! Oscar Blues does it again. on 03/13/2012 20:49:59 MDT Print View

Awww, man. I hope my local store gets that in! Dale's pale ale is fantastic, and I'd love to try this IPA.

b s
(smyth) - F
Re: Oh yeah! Oscar Blues does it again. on 03/14/2012 10:38:01 MDT Print View

I concur. Just had the Deviant Dale's this past weekend on tap in Philly. Hits a nice sweet spot between Dale's Pale and Gubna. Hasn't yet made it here in cans though.

Randy: How are they selling this one? 4- or 6-packs? How about price?

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Beer in a can on 03/14/2012 11:26:32 MDT Print View

I'm liking all the great beers that are becoming available in cans lately. Awesome development. I'm still waiting for my local neighborhood brewery to start canning some beer; that would be awesome!

Anyway, my brother manages the sushi restaurant up in Mammoth and he was telling me they are carrying or thinking about carrying some new Japanese brewery that offers a canned pale ale, IPA, and porter.

I can't recall the name of the brewery... guess I'll have to make the trek up there to do some testing so I can report back here. Darn...

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Price on 03/14/2012 13:57:40 MDT Print View

Unfortunately, $12.99 for a 4 pack. I'd rather have seen something like $8.99 for a 4 pack of 12 oz. Or even better, $8.99 a sixer!

And for reference, Gubna is $13.99 a 4 pack here in Colorado. At least I haven't found it any cheaper

My beer guy said to probably expect some other OB beers available in 16 oz in the future since they spent the money to be able to can 16s.

Edited by rlnunix on 03/14/2012 14:32:56 MDT.

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
the cans on 03/16/2012 08:50:21 MDT Print View

Sierra Nevada in cans is like music to my ears. the can is the best beer package and i keep waiting for my local brewery to move to cans. they tell me the start up costs are insane and they just upgraded their bottling line.

my favorite beer in a can is Yuengling Black and Tan.

Everett Vinzant
(wn7ant) - MLife

Locale: CDT
I don't know if this qualifies.. on 03/19/2012 20:17:04 MDT Print View

Okay,

Truth be told, I don't care if it does. My favorite can is Old Chub from Oskar Blues. It's proof there is a God... Oh wait, wrong thread :)

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

New Belgium on 04/06/2012 14:10:57 MDT Print View

Just saw that New Belgium has 2 new canned products, both 16 oz. Shift is a new lager that I haven't tasted. Ranger IPA is now available in cans as well as bottles. One of my least favorite IPAs but a lot of others do like it.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Colorado Foothills
Spoiled for choice on 04/06/2012 14:21:21 MDT Print View

It's an embarrassment of riches in my local liquor store - so many breweries are moving to 12oz cans for their IPAs and other ales. However I can't for the life of me understand why the same sixpack costs up to $1.50 more in cans than in bottles (Avery!) I also question why it's cheaper to buy said local beer out of town - it's always cheaper up in the High Country than in Boulder.

I got to check out Deviant Dales a couple of weeks ago. Like most of Oskar Blues beers, I love the taste but it does horrible things to my digestive system.

There's so much competition in Colorado with different IPAs, one of my favourites seems to have stopped playing here. Can't get Dogfish Head 60 Minute for love nor money. Not that they offer any of their products in cans yet, to stay somewhat on topic.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Oskar Blues news on 12/21/2012 18:19:26 MST Print View

Oskar Blues has moved G'Knight to 16 oz cans. At 8.7% ABV that's even a bigger punch than Deviant Dale's. They also now have a 23 oz Dale's available.

OB talls

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Spoiled for choice on 12/21/2012 18:47:41 MST Print View

It's been 8 months, but:

"I love the taste but it does horrible things to my digestive system"

I get that with some beer and more so with some beer/food combos. Beans - not good. Broccoli - likewise.

I find a Beano pill really knocks down that reaction.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: "Beer in a Can" on 12/22/2012 08:26:40 MST Print View

Oxymoron.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Oxymoron on 12/29/2012 16:02:30 MST Print View

I would have agreed with you 10 years ago. But times and technology change. LOTS of excellent beers in cans now.

Peter Treiber
(peterbt) - M

Locale: A^2
Beer in a Can on 03/01/2013 08:12:30 MST Print View

Oskar Blues is coming to Michigan in a couple days:

http://www.brewbound.com/news/oskar-blues-adds-michigan-to-growing-distribution-footprint?utm_source=March+1+newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email

I prefer to drink Michigan beer, but it's nice to have packable options...

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Backpackers and IPAs on 03/21/2013 10:15:37 MDT Print View

"Why do all backpackers I know like IPAs? They just seem to go together."

I don't, i like dark, heavy beers. The darker and heavier, the better.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Re: Backpackers and IPAs on 03/21/2013 11:11:12 MDT Print View

IPAs are just an extremely popular style in general. They're not my favorite, but I generally won't turn one down.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Backpackers and IPAs on 03/21/2013 11:35:48 MDT Print View

IPA's also generally have higher ABV. More bang for your buck, especially when having to haul it in a backpack.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Backpackers and IPAs on 03/22/2013 09:15:17 MDT Print View

Idk, some of the Stouts i like, are like 9%--now that's bang for buck.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Backpackers and IPAs on 03/22/2013 10:11:14 MDT Print View

Double or Imperial IPAs get up to 10% but the only one I know of in a can is Gubna. Which used to be my go to beer when carrying any. Unfortunately, Oscar Blues has turned it into a seasonal AND changed the recipe. I was finally able to get some a few weeks ago and it's not the same. Very disappointing. The good news is I don't have to explain to my wife why I spent $300 on 1 type of beer to stock up for the year. :)

Travis, you mentioned in another thread you said something about seeing pulk users always carrying a lot of stuff. Here's the reason:

Hut beers