Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
"Beer in a Can"
Display Avatars Sort By:
b s
(smyth) - F
"Beer in a Can" on 10/19/2011 20:36:14 MDT Print View

I'm searching out the best canned brews to help lighten my pack on outdoor pursuits. I'm partial to IPAs / double IPAs and I've tried my share from 21st Amendment, Oskar Blues, Anderson Valley, Avery, Caldera, Six Point, Sly Fox, TallGrass, ButterNuts, and more. Oskar Blues Gubna had been my canned IPA of choice but recently, I was gifted a four pack of 120 ibus of pure joy from The Alchemist in Waterbury, Vermont. I give you, Heady Topper.

Heady Topper

It's not even close. It's like Pliny in a can. Now if only it was more accessible. Now I'm not against macrobrews - they have their time and place for me - but I'd rather carry one of these than three PBRs any day. So if MGD is your go to, I'm down with that. I don't care to get into a craft vs. macro debate here or to rehash the "A-hole" thread (which I thoroughly enjoy). I just wanted to streamline the conversation a little.

So what are your favorites? Anything new coming down the canning pipeline from your local breweries?

Edited by smyth on 10/19/2011 20:49:45 MDT.

Evan Parker
(ecp12) - F

Locale: Upstate NY
Good idea on 10/20/2011 08:11:47 MDT Print View

My brother and I will be attempting to make a dunkelweizen over thanksgiving so we might be able to try it by the time christmas rolls around. For now, I think my favorite beer would have to be weihenstephaner, which is a hefe but two nights ago (celebrating my 21st!!) I got a Jacques Au Lantern made by Evolution Craft which the best pumpkin beer I've tasted. It smelled exactly like pumpkin pie and tasted pretty darn close too. I'm always searching for new beers to try so I'm sure I will be referencing this thread as a source of some good beer!

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Here's some on 10/20/2011 10:11:21 MDT Print View

Here's some I like:

BP beers

And for Eugene and the NM contingent:

HC

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Canned beer on 10/20/2011 12:32:59 MDT Print View

Dales pale is the only one I can think of right now.

Aluminium cans really are superior to glass bottles. Not sure why more brewers don't use them. Bottles let light in. And light is wors for beer than anything. That's why Newcastle stinks in bottles but on draft or in a can it is never skunky.

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: Canned beer on 10/20/2011 13:14:16 MDT Print View

Old Speckled Hen is nice when I can find it.

old speckled hen

b s
(smyth) - F
craftcans.com on 10/21/2011 09:30:14 MDT Print View

That's quite a lineup Randy. I've heard good things about the Ska brews.

Craftcans.com looks like a good resource for anyone else interested.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: "Beer in a Can" on 10/21/2011 09:48:53 MDT Print View

I've never really thought about canned micro-brews, but it makes sense: if you are going to haul it, you might as well have really good stuff. I'll have to check a couple of our local YuppieMarkets for selection.

I have preferred to take dehydrated Scottish micro-brews for light weight and superior taste, 50ml at a time.

Hiker's micro-brew

Troy Pratten
(TJGator) - F

Locale: The Middle of Big 12-3+1 Country
Abita comes in cans now. on 10/21/2011 12:25:51 MDT Print View

Not sure if they're actually out there yet--but if not they will be soon.

Abita in cans!

Gerry Volpe
(gvolpe)

Locale: Vermont
canned beer on 10/21/2011 12:50:13 MDT Print View

Wow I had no idea how many microbrews used cans. I don't see many around here unfortunately. Magic Hat #9 just started but a little too fruity for me. Yuenling has a black and tan that is pretty good but hard to get. Not micro brews but my backpacking canned standbys are Guiness, Boddingtons, and Murphys(came to the ADKS with me this week).

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: "Beer in a Can" on 10/21/2011 13:04:08 MDT Print View

I forgot to mention that you can find wine in cans too. We got some Chilean red wine that was perfectly drinkable.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Oregon brews on 10/21/2011 15:15:07 MDT Print View

Fort George Brewery in Astoria, Oregon, has just recently started putting some of their brews in a can. I know their IPA is being "bottled" (canned?), and one other of their beers too. They got a grant to get the machine to do it. Saw it on a brewery tour, looks really cool.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: canned beer on 10/21/2011 15:28:59 MDT Print View

Not sure how good this one is, but my friend was drinking it over the weekend and he seemed to like it....and the can itself is pretty funny.

beer

@Gerry - Just had some magic hat for the first time in a long time over the weekend. My college roommate used to work at the brewery and would come home with a few growlers pretty frequently. Good stuff.

Edited by csteutterman on 10/21/2011 15:30:27 MDT.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Re: canned beer on 10/21/2011 16:10:47 MDT Print View

you'd have to come to or ship from AZ, but you need to get ahold of some Four Peaks "Hop Knot" which took bronze at the GABF out of something like 67 competitors.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2171/12896
it has been in cans lately and FP is growing, to open a sattelite brewhouse in the next few months. despite the extra canning capacity of the new brewfloor, Hop Knot will likely remain in AZ only since the scarcity of Simcoe hops lately.

another two is Surly brewing and Cigar City; both started canning last week.

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 10/21/2011 16:11:34 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: canned beer on 10/21/2011 16:36:05 MDT Print View

Jesse is correct on certain bottles that make beer skunky... Think Heineken, etc.
Cans should be utilized.

Dale I wou!dc never drink wine in a can :)

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Surly just now? on 10/21/2011 16:52:05 MDT Print View

Am I imagining that Surly was canning years ago? I swear they were.

Dan Gerke
(dangerke)

Locale: Southern California
Re: canned beer on 10/21/2011 17:29:51 MDT Print View

Asahi 1L has a good can to beer ratio. I like the taste, but its not an IPA.asahi

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Surly just now? on 10/22/2011 19:13:57 MDT Print View

yes... i mean surly is canning some NEW flavors. and in 16oz cans!
ah, grasshopper's typing skillz aint so good after a few Tumblers.. hehe

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Asahi can on 10/22/2011 19:17:29 MDT Print View

Hold the presses! Why haven't the beer can stove freaks been all over that one liter Asahi can?

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Beer on 10/22/2011 21:07:45 MDT Print View

"That's quite a lineup Randy. I've heard good things about the Ska brews."

And you should have! Ska makes excellent beers. Modus Hoperandi is currently my favorite IPA. That's actually an old picture I took and was going to post during the start of the A-hole thread. Euphoria is a winter seasonal and very good. And winter will be here soon. I did go grab a Modus to enjoy while typing this.

Oskar Blues Gubna is a great Imperial IPA. And G'Knight is very good as well. It's a Red but is sometimes called a Red Imperial IPA. It's hoppy enough for the title. I went up to RMNP to try to go fishing last weekend (40 MPH winds put an end to that), and had to go up to the main entrance to pick up a permit. Oskar Blues is in Lyons which is on the southeast way to the Park. I stopped in and had a Gubna (10%). The barmaid asked if I wanted another. I said yes as long as I could also get a cab. :)

I think Oskar Blues was the first micro brewery to can. And they don't do any bottling, which is unusual.

Heady Topper being mentioned with Pliny is high praise, indeed. It's not cheap to ship beer but if you want to do an exchange, let me know.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Ah..beer! on 10/23/2011 14:49:38 MDT Print View

Randy, that photo is a thing of beauty. My heart rejoices and my soul sings. :D

The BEST beer I ever had on a backpacking trip, however, was a simple can of Bud Light.

I love microbrews.

Give me the complex taste of the hops, barley and malt all mixed together.

A dark rich color and taste.

Mmmm...

But when I did the Pecos Wilderness tript with a buddy, we found a sole can of Bud Light in a snowbank. A survivor of the winter months.

That half beer tasted so good.

It was cold. It was refreshing. It was delicious.

It was beer we did not pack in. It was beer we did not expect.

And it was one of the best beers I've had. Ever.

Beer!

Edited by PaulMags on 10/23/2011 14:51:24 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Ah..beer! on 10/23/2011 16:10:38 MDT Print View

I found a can of Tecate on the bank of Bubbs Creek last September right before the valley starts to close up underneath Forester Pass. I chilled it in the creek and proceeded to have a very enjoyable treat. Thank you trail angels!!!

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Beer on 10/23/2011 19:20:14 MDT Print View

Randy, have you tried the Mexican Logger? i havent seen it around here, but i do get Modus from time to time.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: "Beer in a Can" on 10/23/2011 19:49:47 MDT Print View

Anything new coming down the canning pipeline from your local breweries?.

So far, I haven't carrier any beer into the backcountry, but my discipline may break down when this bad boy becomes available in the spring.

Very impressive collection, Randy.

b s
(smyth) - F
Re: "Beer in a Can" on 10/23/2011 20:27:01 MDT Print View

Good info Dondo. I love Dale's Pale but always thought is could be a little hoppier. It's like they read my mind. And the 16 oz. can makes it only that much more enticing for packing. Looking forward to that one.

Any of you southwesterners ever had a Sante Fe Imperial Java? The only other canned imperial stout I've had is Oskar Blues Ten Fidy.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Beer on 10/24/2011 13:18:40 MDT Print View

I had the reverse happen to me last year on my ill-faited trip to Pear Lake in RMNP last October. I had placed a few beers in a snow bank and left one behind when I headed out. I passed a guy near the bottom with a fishing pole in his day pack who was heading for Finch Lake. I let him know that Finch is barren and that he'd have to go to Pear to fish. He was thinking about it when I remembered the lonely soldier I had left behind and I told him there was an ice cold Gordon's (now G'Knight) waiting for him if he went to Pear and where to find it. That cinched it and he said he'd take care of the beer for me. Win/win.

I haven't had the Mexican Logger yet, Te-Wa, but have been meaning to try it. I hear it's good.

Dondo, those cans are all from my local liquor store, Biggies in Conifer. It's in the King Soopers shopping center in Aspen Park. If you're passing by, check it out. Great selection and equally good prices. Speaking of which, check out this thread for a great place to stop for a beer if you're heading up 126 after a LCW trip: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=54536

Edited by rlnunix on 10/24/2011 14:38:28 MDT.

Mark Primack
(Bufa) - MLife

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland
Envy you Westerners on 10/24/2011 14:25:33 MDT Print View

I envy you westerners for only one thing--well, actually two: You have IPAs in cans and you have lots of mountains. Here in New England, the only canned IPA I have ever seen--and I look!, being an IPA guy, plus I work for the largest beer distributor on the East Coast and get to wander one of the big warehouses occasionally--is Dales, which isn't hoppy enough for my taste. My current favorite bottled brew is Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild--hoppy and sweet and 9.42 alcohol--perfect.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Envy you Westerners on 10/24/2011 15:06:02 MDT Print View

But, but, you have SNOOKI! She might drink all the beer though. Platform Vibram soled boots anyone?

Snooki

I think we have the basis for a whole new reality survival series-- "Survival with Snooki." Poor old Bear Grylls couldn't hold a candle.

Edited by dwambaugh on 10/24/2011 15:36:50 MDT.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Backpackers and IPAs on 10/24/2011 15:25:24 MDT Print View

Why do all backpackers I know like IPAs? They just seem to go together.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Sam Adams! on 10/24/2011 15:36:57 MDT Print View

This backpacker much prefers a mellow red to a bitter IPA!

If only Sam Adams was in a can!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Sam Adams! on 10/24/2011 15:46:41 MDT Print View

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you....

Sam Adams

http://www.craftcans.com/sam-adams-in-cans-founder-jim-koch-says-there-will-probably-come-a-day

Got you all excited, didn't I! Someday.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: ""Beer in a Can"" on 10/24/2011 15:52:44 MDT Print View

I'm with Stephen. I love Sam Adams. Dale, that's just plain mean.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Beer on 10/24/2011 16:01:08 MDT Print View

I did a Trans-Sierra Dayhike over the weekend, so I am licking my wounds now. It was about 22.5 miles in the John Muir Wilderness of California.

The leader and his team hiked from Lake Edison to Rock Creek and arrived well after dark on Saturday evening. I believe it took them 13 hours for the difficult direction. Then there were three of us who hiked from Rock Creek to Lake Edison on Sunday, and there was less than one foot of snow at the high pass. We didn't finish until well ever dark in 12.5 hours. Thank heavens for modern headlamps.

I had consumed only 1.5 quarts of liquid during the hike, so I was probably a little dehydrated by the finish. I had lost five pounds of body weight as a result, so I am busy now trying to restore that with a can or three of beer. It's a multipurpose thing, so I can probably build something out of the empty aluminum.

---B.G.---

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: RE: Canned Adams on 10/24/2011 16:12:25 MDT Print View

"I'm with Stephen. I love Sam Adams. Dale, that's just plain mean."

Hehehe-- I would take the reins and get some letters off to Jim Koch. Some companies listen. Sorry to get a rise out of you Sam Adams fans-- too easy :)

This thread did get me inspired to check out a local micro-brew store and by golly, they had 10-12 brands in cans, many of the ones reported here. No Sam Adams--- yet.

I've punked my wife a couple times with beers while hiking. On our first sea kayaking trip, she brought really Spartan hiking food and I had iced beer and canned chili under the back hatch in my boat. She was sitting by the fire munching Sailor crackers and cheese when I started unloading my boat. The look on her face was priceless. I pulled a similar stunt this summer at the end of a long day hike, with a couple cold brews in the trunk and nice deli sandwiches. Big points!

Edited by dwambaugh on 10/24/2011 16:20:55 MDT.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Re: RE: Canned Adams on 10/24/2011 16:27:17 MDT Print View

I would love it if Sam came in a can.
I think the only reason most craft/micro brews seems to be hoppy is that its the easiest way to separate themselves in the market place from mainstream beer.
For instance, a micro brew pilsner is not as obviously different from mainstream beers to the average non connoisseur as a strong bitter or thick dark stout ect.
I personally like a more balanced beer -not to bitter like a SA Larger.
I think IPAs in general are more popular in the west because IPAs were invented for hot weather.

Edited by MAYNARD76 on 10/24/2011 16:33:18 MDT.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Bigges in Conifer on 10/24/2011 16:46:49 MDT Print View

>>Biggies in Conifer. It's in the King Soopers shopping center in Aspen Park.

I almost always hit that plaza before a LCW (or beyond) trip if I am along the 285 corridor. Leave Friday after work, stop at Qdoba for a quick burrito and then hit Biggies for the post-hike beer in a cooler.

Good stuff. :)

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Re: Re: RE: Canned Adams on 10/25/2011 09:46:57 MDT Print View

"I think IPAs in general are more popular in the west because IPAs were invented for hot weather"

part of it, i suppose. the other part is the w. coast style of IPA is done with hops that grow in the area. remember, Washington state is the worlds second largest hops producer. it's no wonder why w. coast styles usually have the three "C's" and simcoe, amarillo etc..

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

IPAs on 10/25/2011 10:26:43 MDT Print View

>> I think the only reason most craft/micro brews seems to be hoppy is that its the easiest way to separate themselves in the market place from mainstream beer.
For instance, a micro brew pilsner is not as obviously different from mainstream beers to the average non connoisseur as a strong bitter or thick dark stout ect.

That, plus it's easier (relatively) to make a good ale than it is to make a good lager. I can think of maybe half a dozen breweries making lagers I like...easily quadruple+ that if we're talking IPAs and BWs.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
120 ibu in a can?? on 10/26/2011 09:18:29 MDT Print View

Well, 120 ibu in a can will probably affect the flavor, what with the lining all dissolved and everything! Ha ha.

Personally, I haven't given much time to the can trend for craft beers because, although its great for light management, the aluminum can is otherwise a trainwreck for holding fine beer. The can does impart flavor, the sharp-edged mouth frustrates a good pour and beer that good deserves a pour rather than a can opener and a shotgun, ho ho. I'll stick with dark brown and deep green bottled beers for the good stuff and cheapass bears in the can for those times when it's appropriate.

Besides, when you're backpacking, nothing explodes on the rocks like a well-lobbed glass bottle.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Cans on 10/26/2011 21:04:25 MDT Print View

"Personally, I haven't given much time to the can trend for craft beers because, although its great for light management, the aluminum can is otherwise a trainwreck for holding fine beer. The can does impart flavor, the sharp-edged mouth frustrates a good pour and beer that good deserves a pour rather than a can opener and a shotgun, ho ho. I'll stick with dark brown and deep green bottled beers for the good stuff and cheapass bears in the can for those times when it's appropriate."

That used to be the case but for quite a few years beer cans (at least micros) have been using a water based liner so the beer doesn't come in contact with metal. I don't know about not getting a good pour as it seems the same to me. I do pour cans and bottles into a glass when not in the backcountry but am more than happy to drink one out of the can when I am. To me it has nothing to do with cans vs bottles as I personally think that's no longer relevant. It's about drinking what you like and for me a lot of what I like comes in cans. And the weight savings is nice when you want to bring a couple along. Don't get me wrong, my beer fridge has more types of beers in bottles than it does in cans. But that's based on what the beers I like happen to come in, not because bottled beer is superior.

But the bottom line for me is HYOH and DWYL (drink what you like)!

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Keweenaw on 11/01/2011 16:17:11 MDT Print View

Haven't decided yet if I like their beer, but the cans are nice.

pick axe blonde

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Cans on 11/02/2011 10:10:10 MDT Print View

I dont recall if this has been posted - a link to all the craft beer cans available. Im betting there are some that arent included yet.. http://www.craftcans.com/db.php?search=all&view=text

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 11/02/2011 10:10:48 MDT.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Re: Cans on 11/08/2011 08:34:31 MST Print View

http://www.craftcans.com/cigar-city-unveils-can-designsq-and-a-with-artist-geiger-powell

here's the swill for you lucky enough to get it.. Floridians and Georgia that I know of... Jai Alai is very good.

Tim Haynes
(timalan)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Beer in a Can on 11/08/2011 10:07:19 MST Print View

If you can get the Surly lineup, they make the best canned beers I've tried, but unfortunately, they aren't available in the VA/DC/MD/PA/NC/WV area that I hike in most of the time. We've got a lot of canned beer options, and I've tried most of them. The Oskar Blues varieties are still the winners in terms of what is readily available, but canned Guinness and Bodingtons aren't bad options, either, when Oskar Blues isn't available.

That said, I'm far more likely to pack in a tiny plastic bottle of an Irish cream or a sipping tequilla than I am to carry beer on the trail. For group trips, those tiny juice boxes of wine are pretty good options -- Target (in my area at least) carries a line of those wines that are above average. The Merlot, in particular, stands out.

Sorry ... didn't mean to thread drift. Back on topic, beer in cans: Surly if you can get it, Oskar Blues as a close runner up.

Michael Cockrell
(CAL-EE-FOR-NIA) - F

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA
Re: "Beer in a Can" on 11/08/2011 10:14:36 MST Print View

Old Speckled Hen!

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Beer in a Can on 11/08/2011 10:21:14 MST Print View

sweet. Tim, UPS is an option... ;)

also Avery does well. and SanTan. not to discount 21st Amendment. in VA i had their "live free or die" IPA. oddly, not available in AZ and is brewed in S.F, CA.
we CAN get Modus Hoperandi tho, one of the best.

check this!
for "international stout day" Phoenix metro area made the top 5 drinking cities twice. Whole Foods in Chandler and Trophy's Steakhouse. Awesome stats. http://blog.untappd.com/post/12516462044/stout-day-stats

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 11/08/2011 10:40:31 MST.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Beer in a Can on 11/08/2011 10:59:08 MST Print View

21A in a can is NOT brewed in California, it is a Midwest product trucked around the country.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Beer in a Can on 11/08/2011 11:18:01 MST Print View

cameron wrote "21A in a can is NOT brewed in California, it is a Midwest product trucked around the country"
really!
thats interesting. do you have a link or photo to share w/ me? im looking at 21A website and cannot find anything that would tell me it is not brewed in San Fransisco. i'll keep looking..still, i wish they'd come to town.

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 11/08/2011 11:28:47 MST.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Beer in a can on 11/08/2011 12:19:02 MST Print View

The 21A production brewery is in Cold Spring MN.

You won't see it on their packaging.
You won't hear it on their ads.

They keep it pretty quiet, but are open about it.
https://twitter.com/21stamendment/status/132473838779891712

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Beer in a can on 11/08/2011 12:26:14 MST Print View

thanks! the hellor high watermelon looks good. i'd like to try it.
UPDATE: i got a response from 21A (diana pierce) who confirmed that they brew at another brewery, using borrowed equipment. she likened it to coming to my house, and making her killer lasagna using my pans. ok, fair enough. their beer is still good.

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 11/08/2011 13:36:19 MST.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Beer in a can on 11/08/2011 13:51:43 MST Print View

te-wa

I drank some of that Watermelon beer this summer rafting the Snake. It tastes like watermelon! Watermelon beer, yep. Good beer for what it is. Sorta like the Rogue "Bacon Maple Beer" made for Voodoo doughnut. My buddy is the merchandising guy for Voodoo and he got me one (you have to buy a case of 22s or something weird IIRC) It tastes like bacon maple beer- straight up. Its good for what it is, but its one of those beers you drink one and then go back to a 'normal' beer. John at the Rogue is a ridiculous brewmaster for being able to get those flavors so right. but like I said... weird as hell.

Anyway the Hellor High Watermelon is definitely drinkable and good for chillin in the sun on a raft fo sho.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Re: Re: Beer in a can on 11/08/2011 14:41:21 MST Print View

right on.
speaking of beer, a place here in Tempe was selling bombers Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary stout for $1. (yes, one dollar) and a buddy is going to get one to me.
Thursday, another buddy is sharing 4 bombers of Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout.
ahh, a good week indeed. prosit!

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beer in a can on 01/14/2012 17:41:27 MST Print View

sierra nevada Pale ale is coming in cans. another good addition to my pack!

b s
(smyth) - F
Beer in a can on 01/14/2012 21:39:40 MST Print View

That's good news. I had a canned Central City Red Racer IPA tonight. Very good.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Beer in a plastic bottle on 01/14/2012 22:03:47 MST Print View

I was on a private GCNP raft trip and someone brought bottles of Anchor Steam. WTF? Bottles?!? On a raft trip? But they were brown plastic bottles that looked just like brown glass bottles from 5 feet away.

Best beer name and slogan (which I noticed first while barhopping in Utah with one of Alaska's few micro-brewpub owners):

Wasatch Beer's: Polygamy Porter "Why have just one"

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Young's Double Chocolate Stout on 01/19/2012 18:20:52 MST Print View

YUM!
stout

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Beer in a plastic bottle on 01/19/2012 18:26:35 MST Print View

"Best beer name"

Polygamy Porter is a good one, but I like the Thirsty Dog Brewing Co. beer names:

Old Leghumper, Stud Service Stout, Barktoberfest, and 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Beer names on 01/19/2012 18:39:22 MST Print View

Moose DroolMoose Drool

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Moose Drool on 01/19/2012 18:46:47 MST Print View

David,
I once attended a "beer tasting party" where we all brought craft beer, served them in plastic cups (for anonymity) and voted on our favorite.

My submission was Moose Drool, and it won!

Then again, my submission was one of the first few tasted (out of 20 or so different beers), and we were all pretty sloppy by the time we got to the other submissions :D

Edited by Konrad1013 on 01/19/2012 18:47:22 MST.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Moose Drool on 01/19/2012 18:53:48 MST Print View

Konrad,

When we tasted wine to pick one for our wedding, we lined up 8masked bottles and collected people's opinions (our's counted the most). It was striking how different one's impressions could be going 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 versus 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. But I think we did small enough sips that everyone was still sober when we marked our ballots.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Home brew on 01/19/2012 19:15:59 MST Print View

Just did my final rack of my first batch of Ben's home brew IPA. I need to find a way to get it in a light container. Wish me luck.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Re: Home brew on 02/05/2012 20:10:21 MST Print View

sweet! my first attempt was an IPA also it came out ok. imma do a DIPA or oatmeal stout next.

anyone find cans of Jai Alai (FL or GA or NC) send them here, i'll pay or trade.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Oh yeah! Oscar Blues does it again. on 03/13/2012 20:45:11 MDT Print View

Oscar Blues has come out with an IPA, Deviant Dale's. It's excellent. 8% alcohol in a 16 oz can! I'd have preferred a 12 oz. But that's just me. BA calls it a DIPA but at 8% it seems in between an IPA and DIPA, which they already have with Gubna. Whatever they call it, I'll be calling for more.

DD

Edited by rlnunix on 03/13/2012 20:46:07 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Oh yeah! Oscar Blues does it again. on 03/13/2012 20:49:59 MDT Print View

Awww, man. I hope my local store gets that in! Dale's pale ale is fantastic, and I'd love to try this IPA.

b s
(smyth) - F
Re: Oh yeah! Oscar Blues does it again. on 03/14/2012 10:38:01 MDT Print View

I concur. Just had the Deviant Dale's this past weekend on tap in Philly. Hits a nice sweet spot between Dale's Pale and Gubna. Hasn't yet made it here in cans though.

Randy: How are they selling this one? 4- or 6-packs? How about price?

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Beer in a can on 03/14/2012 11:26:32 MDT Print View

I'm liking all the great beers that are becoming available in cans lately. Awesome development. I'm still waiting for my local neighborhood brewery to start canning some beer; that would be awesome!

Anyway, my brother manages the sushi restaurant up in Mammoth and he was telling me they are carrying or thinking about carrying some new Japanese brewery that offers a canned pale ale, IPA, and porter.

I can't recall the name of the brewery... guess I'll have to make the trek up there to do some testing so I can report back here. Darn...

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Price on 03/14/2012 13:57:40 MDT Print View

Unfortunately, $12.99 for a 4 pack. I'd rather have seen something like $8.99 for a 4 pack of 12 oz. Or even better, $8.99 a sixer!

And for reference, Gubna is $13.99 a 4 pack here in Colorado. At least I haven't found it any cheaper

My beer guy said to probably expect some other OB beers available in 16 oz in the future since they spent the money to be able to can 16s.

Edited by rlnunix on 03/14/2012 14:32:56 MDT.

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
the cans on 03/16/2012 08:50:21 MDT Print View

Sierra Nevada in cans is like music to my ears. the can is the best beer package and i keep waiting for my local brewery to move to cans. they tell me the start up costs are insane and they just upgraded their bottling line.

my favorite beer in a can is Yuengling Black and Tan.

Everett Vinzant
(wn7ant) - MLife

Locale: CDT
I don't know if this qualifies.. on 03/19/2012 20:17:04 MDT Print View

Okay,

Truth be told, I don't care if it does. My favorite can is Old Chub from Oskar Blues. It's proof there is a God... Oh wait, wrong thread :)

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

New Belgium on 04/06/2012 14:10:57 MDT Print View

Just saw that New Belgium has 2 new canned products, both 16 oz. Shift is a new lager that I haven't tasted. Ranger IPA is now available in cans as well as bottles. One of my least favorite IPAs but a lot of others do like it.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Colorado Foothills
Spoiled for choice on 04/06/2012 14:21:21 MDT Print View

It's an embarrassment of riches in my local liquor store - so many breweries are moving to 12oz cans for their IPAs and other ales. However I can't for the life of me understand why the same sixpack costs up to $1.50 more in cans than in bottles (Avery!) I also question why it's cheaper to buy said local beer out of town - it's always cheaper up in the High Country than in Boulder.

I got to check out Deviant Dales a couple of weeks ago. Like most of Oskar Blues beers, I love the taste but it does horrible things to my digestive system.

There's so much competition in Colorado with different IPAs, one of my favourites seems to have stopped playing here. Can't get Dogfish Head 60 Minute for love nor money. Not that they offer any of their products in cans yet, to stay somewhat on topic.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Oskar Blues news on 12/21/2012 18:19:26 MST Print View

Oskar Blues has moved G'Knight to 16 oz cans. At 8.7% ABV that's even a bigger punch than Deviant Dale's. They also now have a 23 oz Dale's available.

OB talls

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Spoiled for choice on 12/21/2012 18:47:41 MST Print View

It's been 8 months, but:

"I love the taste but it does horrible things to my digestive system"

I get that with some beer and more so with some beer/food combos. Beans - not good. Broccoli - likewise.

I find a Beano pill really knocks down that reaction.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: "Beer in a Can" on 12/22/2012 08:26:40 MST Print View

Oxymoron.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Oxymoron on 12/29/2012 16:02:30 MST Print View

I would have agreed with you 10 years ago. But times and technology change. LOTS of excellent beers in cans now.

Peter Treiber
(peterbt) - M

Locale: A^2
Beer in a Can on 03/01/2013 08:12:30 MST Print View

Oskar Blues is coming to Michigan in a couple days:

http://www.brewbound.com/news/oskar-blues-adds-michigan-to-growing-distribution-footprint?utm_source=March+1+newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email

I prefer to drink Michigan beer, but it's nice to have packable options...

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Backpackers and IPAs on 03/21/2013 10:15:37 MDT Print View

"Why do all backpackers I know like IPAs? They just seem to go together."

I don't, i like dark, heavy beers. The darker and heavier, the better.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Re: Re: Backpackers and IPAs on 03/21/2013 11:11:12 MDT Print View

IPAs are just an extremely popular style in general. They're not my favorite, but I generally won't turn one down.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Backpackers and IPAs on 03/21/2013 11:35:48 MDT Print View

IPA's also generally have higher ABV. More bang for your buck, especially when having to haul it in a backpack.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Backpackers and IPAs on 03/22/2013 09:15:17 MDT Print View

Idk, some of the Stouts i like, are like 9%--now that's bang for buck.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Backpackers and IPAs on 03/22/2013 10:11:14 MDT Print View

Double or Imperial IPAs get up to 10% but the only one I know of in a can is Gubna. Which used to be my go to beer when carrying any. Unfortunately, Oscar Blues has turned it into a seasonal AND changed the recipe. I was finally able to get some a few weeks ago and it's not the same. Very disappointing. The good news is I don't have to explain to my wife why I spent $300 on 1 type of beer to stock up for the year. :)

Travis, you mentioned in another thread you said something about seeing pulk users always carrying a lot of stuff. Here's the reason:

Hut beers

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Backpackers and IPAs on 03/22/2013 23:29:31 MDT Print View

Not sure if they come in cans or not, but some stouts range to 12%. Ha, so there :P IPA's.

But i don't drink to get drunk--actually i don't like being drunk. Slightly buzzed is more than enough for me, so really i don't care too much about ABV levels in actuality, and despite my mucho Celtic and familial alcoholic heritage, i'm a lightweight for sure.

My very favorites are Oatmeal stouts, all in all.

stefan hoffman
(puckem) - F

Locale: between trees
Crazy Mountain on 04/01/2013 14:03:21 MDT Print View

The big cans like Deviant and Gubna from Oskar are hard to compete with because of their brute strength. But there are more important things....occasionally.

http://crazymountainbrewery.com/#

None of you colorado beer snobs mentioned CRAZY MOUNTAIN!
Crazy Mountain makes an amazingly hoppy amber. Really refreshing, surprising flavor, and not so strong that i cant see straight after 3 rounds of disc golf and a 6 pack++

http://upslopebrewing.com/beer/

AND UPSLOPE BREWING! Highly recommend everything they make. All well balanced and strong in my experience. Even the lager is good in the morning lol. Also just a good lookin set of cans ;)

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Re; Crazy Mountain on 04/01/2013 16:20:42 MDT Print View

"None of you colorado beer snobs mentioned CRAZY MOUNTAIN!"

That's because it's beneath us.

Seriously though, I've seen it but haven't tried it. Nobody has recommended it to me before. I'll check it out.

I personally don't care much for Upslope. One of my least favorite IPAs. Not hoppy at all.

stefan hoffman
(puckem) - F

Locale: between trees
Re: Re; Crazy Mountain on 04/13/2013 14:57:38 MDT Print View

Well if ALL you want is hoppy then you are hardly the sort of beer snob i am referring to. I would still recommend Crazy Mountain amber though. It is refreshing and isn't so overwhelmingly hoppy that you cant tell its an amber. Just a solid springtime brew with character.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Re: "Beer in a can" on 04/13/2013 20:25:43 MDT Print View

"Well if ALL you want is hoppy then you are hardly the sort of beer snob i am referring to."

I can't tell if that is meant as a slam or not, but no matter. I certainly don't consider myself a beer snob anyway. But I know what I like. And I like a variety of ales and lagers. However, when it comes to IPAs, hoppy is not all I want, but lack of hops is a non-starter for me. But hey, DYOB.