Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Reflectix pot cozy melting?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Josiah Vandervelde
(eternalnoob) - F

Locale: Florida
Reflectix pot cozy melting? on 10/19/2011 09:48:54 MDT Print View

I am looking at making a pot cozy for my 700ml titanium pot. I just had a quick question before I begin. I plan to heat water in the pot on my pocket rocket and then transfer it immediately into the cozy to cook my meal. Will the reflectix melt at those temps?

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: Reflectix pot cozy melting? on 10/19/2011 09:56:49 MDT Print View

The following website states that Reflectix can withstand temps up to 180* F.

I think it would melt if your water is boiling (212* F at sea level). Get a temp gage and find out how long you need to wait for the pot to reach the safety threshold of 180*.

http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageIndex=560

christopher witter
(cwitter) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Never had an issue with melting reflectix... on 10/19/2011 10:45:49 MDT Print View

I take my Snowpeak Ti solo pot right off the burner and drop it into the cozy, immediately, all the time and have never had an issue. Your results might vary with an aluminium pot though, the heat transfer is much better.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Reflectix pot cozy melting? on 10/19/2011 12:05:58 MDT Print View

It should be just fine.

Scott S
(sschloss1) - F

Locale: New England
Reflectix pot cozy melting? on 10/19/2011 16:10:20 MDT Print View

I always transfer my pot straight from the stove to my reflectix cozy, and I haven't had any melting.

patrick agius
(Streamline) - F
On the other hand… on 10/19/2011 22:34:02 MDT Print View

I have never had a problem going straight from the flame to the cozy, but on the other hand I have absentmindedly put my pot on the flame with the cozy still on. Now that is an instant melt lol.

I use the metal tape used on duct work for my seams and so I just put a strip of that on the bottom and it has solved the "doh" factor.

Harald Hope
(hhope)

Locale: East Bay
no melting but does expand at elevation on 10/21/2011 14:21:46 MDT Print View

I haven't seen melting be an issue with titanium pot, the titanium cools so fast I think it's pretty much below the critical temp by the time it's in the cozy. Aluminum might be different if it was thicker.

But I did notice a subtle thing, I'd made my cozy pretty snug, and when I was about 5k feet higher than where I'd made it, the cozy got really tight, the bubbles had expanded slightly that is. Next one I make I'll make it with a bit of free air around it to account for the air expansion in the Reflectix air bubbles at altitude.

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Reflectix question? on 10/23/2011 06:36:45 MDT Print View

Sorry to steal the thread but I finally found reflectix this weekend after a year of non-intense searching. I thought I read on the label that there was fiberglass inside? Do you have to tape all the raw or cut edges so that the insulation doesn't contaminate whatever is inside the pot?

Thanks

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Where do you find reflectix? on 10/23/2011 17:16:08 MDT Print View

Looked at Ace, Home Despot, Lowes. Feel a little silly looking this hard for it. Where are you all finding it.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Where do you find reflectix? on 10/23/2011 19:12:52 MDT Print View

Home Depot, but there may be a building code or regional thing. We saw the same thing with window insulation film (polycro), which Home Depot doesn't carry in Southern California.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100012574/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

@Ben: PM me with your zip code and I will PIF a 24"x16" chunk for the cost of Priority Mail to you-- I can get it in a Priority Mail tyvek envelope.

Edited by dwambaugh on 10/23/2011 19:31:48 MDT.

Chad Ware
(Ware4)

Locale: Northwest Georgia
Re: Where do you find reflectix? on 10/23/2011 19:12:53 MDT Print View

I recently bought some on Amazon. 2' wide, 10' long for around $12 plus a couple bucks for shipping. They also have the foil tape.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Reflectix question? on 10/23/2011 19:26:27 MDT Print View

"Sorry to steal the thread but I finally found reflectix this weekend after a year of non-intense searching. I thought I read on the label that there was fiberglass inside? Do you have to tape all the raw or cut edges so that the insulation doesn't contaminate whatever is inside the pot"

You may be looking a specs for another product. The bubble stuff is just like mini bubble wrap with aluminum bonded to the outside. I just dissected some to be sure.

From the manufacturer's web site:
http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?Page=Double+Reflective+Insulation&pageIndex=622

Description:
• The product consists of two 96% reflective layers of film bonded to two internal layers of heavy gauge polyethylene bubbles (total thickness 5/16”).
• A wide variety of widths and lengths are manufactured. (Please refer to “Product Codes/Sizes” below.)

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Re: Re: Reflectix question? on 10/24/2011 11:35:32 MDT Print View

Thanks dale. That was about where I was too after taking a scrap piece apart, but I wanted to double check at home before I started eating fiberglass on the trail.

N S
(HighPeaks)

Locale: Upstate New York
Reflective Foil Insulation Supplier on 05/17/2013 19:44:10 MDT Print View

Guys:

This should help this thread alot. We are buying all our reflective insulation here from these people. It's the same stuff as the Reflectix, layers of reflective aluminum laminated to polyethylene bubbles. They offer both single and double bubble material. Also, they ship anywhere in the country so you don't have to worry about not being able to find material. The smallest roll sizes available are for the 48" x 10 or (2) of the 24" x 10 which are the same square footage. I use the 24" for a sleeping bag liner. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Edited by HighPeaks on 05/17/2013 20:38:11 MDT.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
Foam on 05/17/2013 20:56:25 MDT Print View

Closed cell foam makes a better insulator. I've compared the two, and the 3/8" thick foam I used kept the heat in much better.

Air is the wonderful insulator, but the reflectix has such large air pockets that convection moves the heat away.

Steve