Forum Index » Gear Deals » EcoWool - 10% off - Time to grab some PossumDown Gloves!

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
EcoWool - 10% off - Time to grab some PossumDown Gloves! on 10/18/2011 21:29:22 MDT Print View

Hey All,

Ecowool is having a 10% off sale for the release of their new website.

Some of you might remember the "PossumDown Gloves that use to be for sale here at BPL. They came from Ecowool over in New Zealand.

Use the code "WELCOME" in checkout to get the 10% off.

Here is a direct link to the awesome possumdown goves:

http://www.ecowool.com/possum-merino-plain-glove-2622.html

If you are one of those folks who like glovelets, be aware that they renamed them to "wristwarmers". Find them here, but note that they no longer offer the ribbed version - sadly.

And for those of you who like fingerless gloves, here ya go :)

I placed an order on the 9th and they showed up on the 17th, to give you an idea of shipping time from NZ to California.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Ordered some on 10/18/2011 22:02:34 MDT Print View

Hay, thanks for the info and link, ordered some medium, I usually take large for my small hands, so I hope the sizing chart is good. Otta be good for cold Fall trips or early AM starts.
Duane

David Moore
(jdmoore) - F
Re: Ordered some on 11/03/2011 05:59:38 MDT Print View

I ordered some of these gloves from their website on the 30th October and they arrived this morning. Really good service and quick postage all the way to Scotland, UK!

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Wonderful gloves and beanies! on 11/03/2011 08:30:27 MDT Print View

If you haven't gotten possum fur gloves and beanies before, you should really give this a try! Amazingly soft, very warm, hold up well - you couldn't ask for better!

J P
(jpovs) - F - M

Locale: North Shore
Re: EcoWool - 10% off - Time to grab some PossumDown Gloves! on 11/03/2011 08:55:38 MDT Print View

Can someone please tell me where the sizing chart is for the gloves? Thanks.

Found it on the BPL site.

Edited by jpovs on 11/03/2011 10:46:33 MDT.

david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Locale: Northern VA
order on 11/03/2011 10:56:56 MDT Print View

I ordered on the 19th of october, shipped the next but I still haven't received my order.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Waiting, but out of town on 11/03/2011 11:18:59 MDT Print View

I work out of town, so I can only get packages/mail on Saturday when the pickup window is open for an hour at my country PO. Waiting to see if the gloves and stove related stuff from other sources made it. My credit card could use a rest, too many vintage stove and stove parts bought.
Duane

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Review on size on 11/04/2011 21:13:19 MDT Print View

I went with their sizing chart against my normal sizing for gloves. For someone with small hands, why do I normally need large gloves? I bought these in size M going off of the sizing chart they provide. I work out of town, so I was able to pick the gloves up at the PO today. The gloves are a close fit if not snug around the knuckles, length is good. They will work though due to some stretch, I'll give them a try tomorrow on my first snow camping trip (bp) of the new season.
Duane

david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Locale: Northern VA
shipping on 11/12/2011 14:10:30 MST Print View

took 3 weeks to get mine on the east coast.
I did email them and got a prompt response saying it left their san francisco facility.

As for sizing I'm usually a medium for most gloves, though sometimes if the gloves are stretchy I need to get a large so my fingers won't over stretch the gloves. I bought a medium and I think next time I ll get a large.

For comparison, a NF or MH powerstretch I get a large instead of medium, which I would do for these gloves.

Michael Levine
(Trout) - F

Locale: Long Beach
EcoWool - 10% off - Time to grab some PossumDown Gloves! on 11/12/2011 21:59:38 MST Print View

in for a pair, thanks for the post!

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Not working. on 11/13/2011 11:27:03 MST Print View

Looks like the code "WELCOME" is no longer valid :(

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: Not working. on 11/13/2011 12:57:53 MST Print View

No, but if you ask in an email, they will apply it for you.

Those possum down mittens look like a great deal! Cheaper than the gloves, and probably slightly lighter and warmer...

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Nope. on 11/14/2011 17:52:36 MST Print View

"Hi Matt,
The discount was available for 7 days from when it was sent out,
Best Regards
Mandy"

Looks like i missed out.

M

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
RE: the mittens on 01/02/2012 07:38:50 MST Print View

I'm looking at the mittens to replace a pair of wool glove liners that I typically wear over a pair of silk liners. The wool liners are just too fragile and I have a large hole in the thumb. I'm in between their sizing of M-L with bare hands. Is the general consensus to go up if in doubt?
Thanks!

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: RE: the mittens on 01/02/2012 08:05:34 MST Print View

Leigh,read this

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=2123&cat=Clothing%20-%20Headwear%2C%20Handwear&cid=52

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
RE: the mittens on 01/02/2012 18:36:36 MST Print View

Thanks Anna,
There are actually two different reviews there, I stopped at the first one, but didn't see this one. :)

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: RE: the mittens on 01/02/2012 19:00:52 MST Print View

I'm in between their sizing of M-L with bare hands. Is the general consensus to go up if in doubt?

Hey Leigh,

EcoWool is pretty true to size, which is rather rare these days.

General rule of thumb for hiking gear is to always size up for if you need to put an underlayer on underneath something. While I have never found a reason to put something on under the PossumDown gloves it is still something to consider. A large size fits me well and the medium size does not fit me at all. I once had the large shrink from it being washed incorrectly and it no longer fit me.

I would just be concerned about the wear of the material in what you have presented. PossumDown is very likely the most delicate material I have encountered. I really do not think it should be used outside of anything other than camp use -- and very very much keep them away from a flame... I and many other now have a lot of finger holes in these gloves because of picking up pots from a stove.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

they will stretch on 01/02/2012 21:40:19 MST Print View

I would go the next size up. I have small hands and usually take large sized gloves for some reason. I got the med in these and they stretched a little, so they are working out. Have only worn them once a couple weeks ago in temps in the mid 20's F. Did fine on the short hike home from my camp.
Duane