Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
winter bivy challenge
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
winter bivy challenge on 10/18/2011 20:20:08 MDT Print View

First entry in my quest for the most versatile winter bivy is a hack job on a black diamond winter bivy. I added a foot box, 8 inch side walls and a breathable slippery top elongated to cover my face...spin drift protection. I plan to test it against a bivy I have yet to make from breathable tyvek that I got from Dave Miles.

shoulder season bivy

integrated sheet:anti - spindrift

Enjoy,

Dave

Laurens Wit
(LaurensWit) - MLife
bivy on 10/19/2011 20:09:29 MDT Print View

You know your dog thinks you're nuts
I also have a Border Colie she gives me the same look

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

bivy on 10/19/2011 21:32:37 MDT Print View

you are right, he gets mad if I go down to the craft room. My job is to throw him the ball. :)

Dave

Keith Moses
(kmoses) - F

Locale: southeast tn.
bivy on 10/21/2011 00:26:17 MDT Print View

Post a pic of your tyvek bivy?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: winter bivy challenge on 10/21/2011 00:40:29 MDT Print View

A border collie just wants a job, any job. Herding, guarding, pacing, but you have to give them a job.

--B.G.--

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

dog on 10/21/2011 05:06:12 MDT Print View

Keith - I'm still finializing the design and will sew it when I get back from this weekends trip. (I should get some insights from the current one by then)

Bob - ain't it the truth, but I think you may have it wrong. We are here to serve the animals, we just are so dense that they have to come up with ways to tell us what they want. He was a mess when we got him -a rescue - overweight, matted, stir crazy. He is now trim and the best dog we have ever had. I am working on ways to get him on the trail with me...just bought some booties and a pack.

Have a good weekend - I will

Dave

David Miles
(davidmiles) - F

Locale: Eastern Sierra
Re: winter bivy challenge on 10/22/2011 00:28:45 MDT Print View

Dave,

I finally took a few pictures of the rescue bivy I made for our group (CLMRG). This is great for 2-3 people to share body heat on a cold winter bivy. Also very important for us to warm a hypothermia victim. I decided I like the zipper better that the other opening I had.

Dave

Open
Closed

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

I like it on 10/25/2011 19:01:25 MDT Print View

Hi Dave,

I like the simplicity of your design. If I ran the zippers 18" down each side - and meeting in the middle, I may have what I am looking for...full coverage, spin drift protection and enough room for all of my gear - sans sled. Nice website. THanks for being part of a SAR.

Dave

Edited by dmgoody on 10/25/2011 19:02:16 MDT.