Forum Index » Chaff » chaff

Display Avatars Sort By:
larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
chaff on 10/18/2011 20:09:47 MDT Print View

Least we forget one must remember what chaff really is.

chaff   /tʃæf, tʃɑf/ Show Spelled[chaf, chahf] Show IPAnoun
1.the husks of grains and grasses that are separated during threshing.
2.straw cut up for fodder.
3.worthless fibrous matter; refuse.
4.the membranous, usually dry, brittle bracts of the flowers of certain plants.
5.Also called window.Military. strips of metal foil dropped by an aircraft to confuse enemy radar by creating false blips.

Some of us can always use a little extra fiber but, you know,some of us have way too much to begin with. I openly nominate myself to this latter category.
What say you?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: chaff on 10/18/2011 21:26:46 MDT Print View

Ah, I'll repeat what I've said on this topic in the past. In my opinion: "I like chaff. It's interesting, funny, very human, odd, quite intelligent, stupefyingly inane. It's the BPL soaps (only much better than General Hospital!). Or, it's the cheap beer portion of BPL -- a bit of it makes your head feel a little fuzzy, but too much of it and you'll regret it in the morning."

I'll add this: I think those of us who see BPL as a community tolerate, and even enjoy, chaff more than those who do not see BPL as a community. And I don't just mean a community of backpackers, but rather a community of people who first met through their love of backpacking, but have become friends. Friends like to chat about all sorts of things, not just one thing. Chaff allows us to do that, to simply be silly and have fun with our BPL friends. It is, perhaps, my favorite forum, because it's in chaff where we REALLY learn about each other. FWIW.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
CHAFF on 10/18/2011 21:36:51 MDT Print View

Well put Doug!!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Chaff on 10/18/2011 21:43:40 MDT Print View

Group hug with Doug this weekend!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: chaff on 10/18/2011 21:45:49 MDT Print View

Thanks Doug for wording it so well. Chaff is great.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: chaff on 10/18/2011 22:59:44 MDT Print View

Very well said, Doug. While there are times when chaff gets exasperating, there isn't anyone at all here with whom I'd refuse to make an effort to communicate with. If I was limited to talking about backpacking, I'd go batty I think. I like the intellectual challenge here, even if I don't agree with what is being said. When things get too hairy (I know you can't wait to comment on that, Doug), I just now out of the conversation.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: chaff on 10/19/2011 17:55:16 MDT Print View

"Chaff allows us to do that, to simply be silly and have fun with our BPL friends. It is, perhaps, my favorite forum, because it's in chaff where we REALLY learn about each other. FWIW."

Now THAT is the Idester we have come to know and love!

+1 your entire post

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: chaff on 10/19/2011 20:17:43 MDT Print View

Douglas,

Thanks for the contribution. Delightful. I agree with everything you said.

Daryl

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: chaff on 10/19/2011 20:33:09 MDT Print View

Every response from a lifer. Interesting.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: chaff on 10/19/2011 20:41:29 MDT Print View

"Every response from a lifer. Interesting."

This made me take a look at my profile and notice for the first time that I am a lifer. I don't know who I have to thank for this, but let me say that I am both gratified and humbled. Thank you, and know that I shall pay it forward at the first opportunity.

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1) - M

Locale: East Tennessee, US
Community on 10/19/2011 21:02:56 MDT Print View

BIG +1 to Doug

-Clint
(keepin' it real with the M)

Edited by cwayman1 on 10/19/2011 21:03:30 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: chaff on 10/19/2011 23:32:47 MDT Print View

Tom:
"
This made me take a look at my profile and notice for the first time that I am a lifer. I don't know who I have to thank for this, but let me say that I am both gratified and humbled. Thank you, and know that I shall pay it forward at the first opportunity."

And what a great member for this to happen to .

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: chaff on 10/20/2011 01:38:59 MDT Print View

This made me take a look at my profile and notice for the first time that I am a lifer.

I thought you knew. I noticed it about two weeks ago. And yes, I definitely agree that you deserve it.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

@Kat and Miguel on 10/20/2011 18:00:28 MDT Print View

Thank you for those words. I'll try not to embarrass you in future. This is truly a wonderful bunch of folks, as I am reminded just about every time I log on.

Doug really hit it on the head when he said Chaff is where we find that out, IMO. Not to diss the other forums, but Chaff is where we learn a lot more about each other as people than when we are discussing technical subjects.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: chaff on 10/20/2011 18:26:37 MDT Print View

Nah, just a computer glitch. :)

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: @Kat and Miguel on 10/20/2011 18:27:27 MDT Print View

Doug hit it on the proverbial nail on the head..... Nicely put Doug