Stoves at Philmont
Display Avatars Sort By:
Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Canisters in a Pot with a Kovea Spider on 03/08/2013 15:55:13 MST Print View

Jim - what do you think of the Kovea Spider for Scouts? Obviously the legs aren't as substantial as some other choices (the Primus included) but it is a lot smaller. The Paclite packs into the pot it came with along with the windscreen but no room for a canister...

Phillip,

I think the Spider would be a great choice for Souts. It's far more stable, particularly with larger pots, than an upright canister stove. I generally don't like pots bigger than maybe 1.3 or 1.5 liters on an upright canister stove. For pots of about 1.5+ liters, I prefer the remote canister style even in warm weather. Bit of a weight penalty (~3oz), but I like the stability.

I kind of see the Spider as being a good group stove for pots 1.5 - 2.5 liters in size. Maybe for 3+ liters you'd want something like a Whisperlite Universal running on gas (which will accomodate really big backpacking pots well) or a Simmerlite.

Maybe I'll do some more testing with larger pots on the Spider if I get a chance tomorrow.

Nice thing about a Spider, is that you might be able to get a 450g (the really tall ones) into a big pot along with the stove. For a mid-size 1.5 - 2.5 liters, you can probably fit a 250g canister in along with the stove. I'll check into what fits and report back.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Canisters in a Pot with a Kovea Spider on 03/09/2013 09:55:42 MST Print View

FWIW, I fit my Windpro, windscreen and a small canister in the Walmart grease pot, which is somewhere near 1.5 L I think. I take it when I have both boys with me.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Re: Canisters in a Pot with a Kovea Spider on 03/12/2013 23:46:42 MDT Print View

Haven't forgotten this... but been busy. May be able to check this weekend.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving