November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Stoves at Philmont
Display Avatars Sort By:
Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Canisters in a Pot with a Kovea Spider on 03/08/2013 15:55:13 MST Print View

Jim - what do you think of the Kovea Spider for Scouts? Obviously the legs aren't as substantial as some other choices (the Primus included) but it is a lot smaller. The Paclite packs into the pot it came with along with the windscreen but no room for a canister...

I think the Spider would be a great choice for Souts. It's far more stable, particularly with larger pots, than an upright canister stove. I generally don't like pots bigger than maybe 1.3 or 1.5 liters on an upright canister stove. For pots of about 1.5+ liters, I prefer the remote canister style even in warm weather. Bit of a weight penalty (~3oz), but I like the stability.

I kind of see the Spider as being a good group stove for pots 1.5 - 2.5 liters in size. Maybe for 3+ liters you'd want something like a Whisperlite Universal running on gas (which will accomodate really big backpacking pots well) or a Simmerlite.

Maybe I'll do some more testing with larger pots on the Spider if I get a chance tomorrow.

Nice thing about a Spider, is that you might be able to get a 450g (the really tall ones) into a big pot along with the stove. For a mid-size 1.5 - 2.5 liters, you can probably fit a 250g canister in along with the stove. I'll check into what fits and report back.

Adventures In Stoving

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Canisters in a Pot with a Kovea Spider on 03/09/2013 09:55:42 MST Print View

FWIW, I fit my Windpro, windscreen and a small canister in the Walmart grease pot, which is somewhere near 1.5 L I think. I take it when I have both boys with me.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Re: Canisters in a Pot with a Kovea Spider on 03/12/2013 23:46:42 MDT Print View

Haven't forgotten this... but been busy. May be able to check this weekend.

Adventures in Stoving