Forum Index » GEAR » More durable hiking poles?

Display Avatars Sort By:
James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Locale: Southeast
Modified walmart fliplocks on 10/19/2011 20:26:24 MDT Print View

I replaced the stock handle on a pair fliplock "outdoor products" poles with eva foam grips. End result was just under 14oz/pr (were probably 20-21oz stock), 3 section, very rugged feeling poles for $40.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=50320&skip_to_post=426839#426839

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
HYBRID poles?? on 10/20/2011 00:45:27 MDT Print View

Does anyone make a hybrid hiking pole with an aluminum lower section and carbon fiber in the upper section(s)?

Please post if you know of any.

In my experience with CF cross country racing ski poles it's the bottom 1/3 that's most vulnerable to lateral damage, the most common cause of CF pole breakage.
Having dealt with an (expensive) broken CF racing pole I shy away from
('spensive)CF hiking poles.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
CF/Duralumin hybrid poles on 10/20/2011 19:12:27 MDT Print View

I use these Korean-made Soletrek's. I found them here in Japan thru this online dealer so I am not sure if you can get them.

http://www.oxtos.co.jp/item/300086.html

My pair weighs 392g including baskets and plastic tip covers. These also have built-in shock absorber springs, cork handles and padded wrist straps. Despite the thin sections they have supported my full ~100kg weight quite well when I had a few slips on the downslope. Parts are available if a section breaks or needs replacement too.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: HYBRID poles?? on 10/20/2011 19:19:13 MDT Print View

Yes, Black Diamond Contour Elliptic Carbons are one such pole.

Cheers,

Rick

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
BD carbon corks on 10/20/2011 19:31:46 MDT Print View

my BD carbon corks while not the lightest set of poles out there (16 oz for the pair) have proven very sturdy- I've taken a couple of good spills (hiking and snowshoeing) and they are no worse for the wear. The Flicklock setup is also as solid of an adjuster as I've seen

I probably look at the G4's weekly :), but I don't really want to give up the sturdiness of the BD's