Forum Index » GEAR » Inov8 Roclite 295...I think they nailed it.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Inov8 Roclite 295...I think they nailed it. on 10/16/2011 13:54:23 MDT Print View

Out shoe shopping today. This season I plan on making the running leap from 50K to 50+ mile trail races and solo runs; I've been training (short distance) in the New Balance Minimus Trail, which I love for runs under 10-12 miles or less. For longer, I've been using the NB MT101. On my last 50K race, I felt the MT101 came up a bit short- while I like relatively minimal, flat, and lightweight shoes, at 25+ miles of running my feet need something with more substance.

Enter Roclite 295!!!

I was REALLY excited to see my local running shop is stocking Inov8s now. I mail ordered some Terrocs many years ago, found them too narrow, but otherwise otherwise loved them. I pretty much wrote off Inov8 after that, not wanting to hassle with mail ordering shoes that I could never try on that seemed to always run narrow.

It looks like a found a good fit; don't know if they changed their platform or if it's the model. What blows me away about these shoes (and Inov8 in general): for shoes with really hefty lugs and sturdy construction (toe guard, etc.) they still come in light and flexible.

Ever put on a shoe and immediately know you found a good one?

Things I love about the Roclite so far:
-Roomy toe box. Too many manufacturers make shoes pointy, not allowing for swelling. I was having this problem at 25+ miles with my MT101s...Pinky toes jamming the toebox pretty bad on the downhills.
-The fact that these are roomy when laced loosely will make for a great all-around backpacking shoe, including some general winter stuff: lightweight, fast drying, big lugs, with room to add an NRS Hydroskin sock and thin wool liner.
-The big lugs are going to be great for mountain running as our weather gets sloppy.
-For how beefy these look, they're actually light, flexible, and responsive feeling. Actually 2 oz. lighter than Brooks Cacadias with less upper foam/material to stay wet.

StOkEd!!!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Inov8 Roclite 295...I think they nailed it. on 10/16/2011 14:06:20 MDT Print View

I used that model of shoes this summer for backpacking, and I liked them.

--B.G.--

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Inov8 Roclite 295...I think they nailed it. on 10/16/2011 14:25:19 MDT Print View

I have a pair of the Terroc 330s and a pair of Roclite 295s. Both are the same size, and use the same last, but the 295 is noticeably roomier in the toe box. I've only used the 330s for backpacking, but I'm going to give the 295s a try. The sticky sole on the 295s does show much more wear...

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
toe box on 10/17/2011 07:47:43 MDT Print View

I've always read that the Inov8 shoes were narrow in the toe box, the reason I've never tried a pair. I've had good luck w/ Merrell's in wide width and Montrail (Sabino Trail & AT) as they are plenty wide in the toe box. I might have to try the 295 if it's indeed a wide toe box.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Inov8 Roclite 295...I think they nailed it. on 10/17/2011 08:08:20 MDT Print View

This is timely news for me. I was about to order another pair of Terroc 330's, but now I think I'll order the Roclite 295 since I can greatly appreciate a bigger toe box. A slightly lighter shoe is nice too.

Tim Haynes
(timalan)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Inov8 on 10/17/2011 08:28:32 MDT Print View

I have, what are usually a little wider than average feet (feet are a 10 in length, but I almost always have to get a 10.5 to get shoes wide enough). That said, I find the Inov8 X-Talon 240s I have almost a little too wide, and the 390GTXs are spot on and fit perfectly.

That said, I tried the Mudclaws a few years ago and found them a hair too narrow, so I could see it, but I wouldn't want anyone to write off Inov8 without trying a few models... along with VivoBarefoot, easily tied as my favorite shoe brand.

adam spates
(adamspates) - F

Locale: southeast
f-light 195's on 10/17/2011 08:52:45 MDT Print View

I've been using the F-light 195's and have been extremely surprized/impressed with them. Running , scrambling, bushwacking ,rocky trails, wading all good so far. The most comfotable shoe I've ever worn or packed in. Waiting to get a few more miles on them before I do a review.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
295 on 10/17/2011 10:22:47 MDT Print View

I am a big fan of these too. Grippy, lightly padded, lightweight, good toe room, and dry off quickly.

daniel B
(dbogey) - F

Locale: East Coast
Size rec's on 10/17/2011 10:59:49 MDT Print View

anyone here wear asics? I'm a true fit for 10.5 in Asics. The site that I'm purchasing these from are recommending an 11. After 16 miles this weekend in asolo 520 my dogs are barking

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Size rec's on 10/17/2011 11:03:03 MDT Print View

From what's been said here, it seems like the Terroc 330 and Roclite 295 are sized the same. I've found that the Terroc 330 is sized the same as the New Balance 573...btw, I don't recommend the 573.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: 295's on the way on 10/17/2011 11:45:57 MDT Print View

I just ordered a pair for myself. I ordered them half a size larger than my Terroc 330's so that I can use thicker socks...I usually wear 2 pairs of liners socks and want to start wearing thicker socks like DarnTough socks.

James Landro
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Inov8 Roclite 295...I think they nailed it. on 10/17/2011 11:57:50 MDT Print View

I love these shoes, I feel like they run pretty big for their size, but it might just be the massive toe box. Very light, nice compromise between minimal and cushion, with only 3mm drop i believe.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: Inov8 Roclite 295...I think they nailed it. on 10/17/2011 12:02:56 MDT Print View

It's a 3 diamond shoe, and I believe each diamond is 4 mm of drop, so there would be a 12 mm drop like the Terroc 330. A 3 mm drop would be fantastic, but since the current Minimus Trail has a 4 mm drop (next year is zero drop), it may be a while before Inov-8 catches up. What I'd love for them to do is make a zero padding trail shoe based on their anatomical or comfort last. They have one based on the performance last, but that's too narrow for long distance hiking.

James Landro
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Re: Re: Inov8 Roclite 295...I think they nailed it. on 10/17/2011 12:14:45 MDT Print View

Ooops, Looks like it is 16mm heel and 7mm toebox, so 9mm drop. Still fairly neutral to me.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
time on 10/17/2011 12:30:17 MDT Print View

time for another pair for me as well ... i think ill go with the terroc 330 again ... i cant see going any less durable

i dont expect them to last more than 1-2 seasons

i am after all the mindless destroyer of gear ;)

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead) - F

Locale: Cen Cal
295 on 10/20/2011 01:47:33 MDT Print View

Just received my Roclite 295s, went with my normal shoe size 10. As mentioned above, toe box is roomy with the rear being slightly narrow. Wearing very thin Injinji toe socks, the shoe feels on the large size, but like James mentioned, it could be because of the toe box. Have yet to try them on with some beefy wool socks. The side webbing for the laces works well to get a tight fit. Current shoe/boot is Asolo Fugitive in 10 wide. My first pair of trail runners, gonna test them out this weekend on Telescope Peak.

Edited by TRAUMAhead on 10/20/2011 01:50:01 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: 295 on 10/20/2011 02:06:47 MDT Print View

"...gonna test them out this weekend on Telescope Peak."

The standard Telescope Peak trail is nice and scenic. Just don't try to do the peak _the_hard_way_ with those shoes. The hard way starts from Shorty's Well.

--B.G.--

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead) - F

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: Re: 295 on 10/20/2011 02:14:58 MDT Print View

Even starting from the TH is gonna be hard for me, lol. Haven't done much hiking this season. Ironically my first ever hike was Telescope Peak, only made it to the saddle, gotta make it to the top this time.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: 295 on 10/20/2011 02:28:12 MDT Print View

Good luck with it, Christopher. As you probably know, the standard trail is 13 miles round trip, and about 3000 feet of elevation gain. It gets a little steeper in the last mile, but it is all Class 1 trail, so it is good. The Inov8 shoes ought to be adequate.

Shorty's Well is at 250 feet below sea level. Promise us that you will never try it. Don't even think about it.

--B.G.--

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
inov 295 on 10/20/2011 07:21:00 MDT Print View

I agree that the 295 is pretty nice. It's toe box is more roomy that many of the inon-8 shoes, and has a good mix of cushion and good ground feel, with good traction. It's my go to shoe for near to town activities, especially if part of the day involves walling or running on very hard pack trails or paved roads.... BUT... I still find myself reaching for the older Flyroc 310 when I am going on a multi-day trip in the back country. I have tried to figure out why I prefer the flyrocs...and I can't put my finger on it. I would encourage folks who like the 295 to add the 310 into your mix and see what you think.

--mark

Edited by verber on 10/20/2011 19:25:45 MDT.