Adding pockets to an Ion - which design?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Here There
(cowexnihilo) - MLife
Adding pockets to an Ion - which design? on 10/15/2011 08:26:08 MDT Print View

I just picked up an Ion to mod, and want to give it pockets, make the waste belt removable, and maybe change to a roll-top.

I'm debating between three pockets, two side and one front, or one big wrap-around pocket. If I go with three I'll do them all out of stretch mesh, but if I go with one I was thinking of having a non-stretch portion in the center with a buckle at the top connected to a strap to hold down the roll-top closure.

All of the Ion mods I've seen have either had three pockets or one small front pocket - for those of you who have one, do you like that configuration? The benefit I see of one wrap-around pocket is added volume - have you found the front pocket to be awkwardly small and narrow, or has it been a non-issue?

Other thoughts or suggestions?

Also, if anyone has some pieces of stretch mesh they'd be willing to part with, let me know.

-David

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Pockets on 10/15/2011 08:44:49 MDT Print View

David I would say it depends on how much work you are willing to do for convienance. I have normally just put on pocket on the front of my MYOG packs because of the simplicity factor. This worked well enough when I was hiking at a more laid back pace and getting into the body of my pack fairly often wasn't a big deal. On the other hand when I was hiking the Colorado Trail I used the Absaroka pack with its large side packets and hipbelt pockets. Those were REALLY nice because I could access water, snacks, my map, and my camera without taking the pack off.

Another trick I used to add volume was to put two straps on the top of the pocket so I could strap on a stuff sack. That gives you a similar volume increase to adding an extension coller with a lot less work.

Ion in Colorado

It might actually be more convient that way since you can either access the stuff sack or unzip the top and go directly to whats underneath it.