Forum Index » GEAR » Best knot for Triptease line?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave T
(DaveT) - F
Best knot for Triptease line? on 10/14/2011 13:17:58 MDT Print View

Hi all.

I want to modify my Tarptent guylines a bit (and add one off the front), so I was wondering what you all think the best knot for Triptease line is? I want to be able to tie the cord on securely, including making loops that don't slide at the end for stakes.

Bowline? Something else?

Thanks!

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: Best knot for Triptease line? on 10/14/2011 13:22:53 MDT Print View

A simple bowline is what I use at the ends of my guylines. How will you adjust your line tension if you do not have a hitch/line loc on one end?

Hobbes W
(Hobbesatronic) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Best knot for Triptease line? on 10/14/2011 14:20:11 MDT Print View

"How will you adjust your line tension if you do not have a hitch/line loc on one end?"

Sigh - and people wonder why UL is mocked:

http://www.netknots.com/html/tautline_hitch.html

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: Re: Re: Best knot for Triptease line? on 10/14/2011 14:59:48 MDT Print View

Hobbes,

I was simply asking the OP what his intentions were for how he would tighten his lines. It appeared that he may have been tying bowline knots at each end which would not allow for tension other than re-staking. There are several ways to do this as you have shown. I use both tautline hitches on my shelter as well as a prussik.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Best knot for Triptease line? on 10/14/2011 15:38:35 MDT Print View

Bowline to attach it to the tent loop, taut line hitch at the stake end for adjustability. Both hold fine with Triptease, unlike with straight dyneema/kevlar etc. lines that won't hold these knots.

Cheers,

Rick

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
triptease. on 10/14/2011 17:09:06 MDT Print View

Thanks Eric and Rick. Bowline at the end it is. There are line tensioners on the contrail, so no worries on tightening it on the Contrail side (and no need for a "sigh" either). Just need a loop that holds on the staking-out end. Thanks!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
......... on 10/14/2011 17:21:09 MDT Print View

Edited by dwambaugh on 01/12/2013 17:15:02 MST.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
taut line. on 10/14/2011 17:48:15 MDT Print View

I never realized people took the perceived lack of another's ability to tie a taut-line hitch so personally. And, anyway, I'll stick with my tiny plastic tensioners that work great, and won't feel like any less of an outdoorsman. If they are good enough for Henry Shires, they are good enough for me.

Johnny Duke
(jd1987) - F
dah dah on 10/14/2011 18:29:41 MDT Print View

Figure 8 is a really good one too. Especially if you're using it on the stake end. That way you don't have to tie it as a follow through. It's a common knot used in climbing connecting harness to rope, so its pretty strong.

Figure 8 is very easy and fast to tie. Bowline is a great knot too, but easier to make a mistake in my opinion.

Neither slip. Both are good to know.

Edited by jd1987 on 10/14/2011 18:33:04 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

......... on 10/14/2011 19:24:22 MDT Print View

Edited by dwambaugh on 01/12/2013 17:16:34 MST.

Johnny Duke
(jd1987) - F
well on 10/14/2011 19:32:16 MDT Print View

Unfortunately no one is born with the inherited ability to tie knots. Fortunately anyone can learn to tie them if they want to.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
the new bpl on 10/14/2011 20:14:01 MDT Print View

welcome to the new BPL, where even the simplest question about what type of knot holds well to make a loop in Triptease can turn quickly into nonsense.

dale, you are needed in the Chaff forum, stat.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: the new bpl on 10/14/2011 20:18:02 MDT Print View

>I never realized people took the perceived lack of another's ability to tie a taut-line hitch so personally. And, anyway, I'll stick with my tiny plastic tensioners that work great, and won't feel like any less of an outdoorsman. If they are good enough for Henry Shires, they are good enough for me.

+1

Terry G
(delvxe) - M

back on knots on 10/14/2011 20:25:16 MDT Print View

For a loop at the end, I almost always use the "double dragon" or "alpine butterbly." It doesnt seem possible for these to slip. You probably wont have a problem with a bowline in triptease, but as rope gets slicker you need something a bit grippier. I use the double dragon and alpine butterfly almost exclusively now. Personally I think they are easier to tie, too.

take a look her for both of them: www.layhands.com/Knots/Knots_SingleLoops.htm

Ceph Lotus
(Cephalotus) - MLife

Locale: California
Tautline Hitch on 10/14/2011 20:47:49 MDT Print View

I love the Tautline Hitch.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

......... on 10/14/2011 20:54:33 MDT Print View

Edited by dwambaugh on 01/12/2013 17:17:27 MST.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: well on 10/14/2011 22:18:19 MDT Print View

Unfortunately no one is born with the inherited ability to tie knots. Fortunately anyone can learn to tie them if they want to.

I'm not sure I can agree with that. My own experience has been that there are knot people and there are those who are not;-)
With enough effort and incentive both can be taught to tie knots today but only the first group will be able to tie the knot tomorrow. The first group picks up on the spatial relationships in the knot on their own and the second group doesn't see them when pointed out (even when using different colors of rope) ... I could go on forever on this. Or perhaps the difference is contained in your words if they want to???

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

......... on 10/14/2011 22:41:00 MDT Print View

Edited by dwambaugh on 01/12/2013 17:18:11 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Best knot for Triptease line? on 10/15/2011 00:55:01 MDT Print View

> if you can't learn to tie a taut line hitch, stay home.

Well, I think I can tie a taut-line hitch ... and a few others.

But try adjusting one in a howling snow storm. There are times when it just is not worth the hassle. Not to mention the way a taut-line hitch tends to slip when moved over an ice-coated bit of string. The little plastic Line-Loks bite through the ice very nicely in my experience.

Cheers

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Knots on 10/15/2011 03:12:28 MDT Print View

I have a pre-tied loop on one end of my guylines. I simply use a larks foot to connect it to the loop on the shelter. A plastic line-lock on the other end. I favour the simplicity of the line-lock in bad weather.