Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » Looking for a good weekend trip in the bay area (CA)

Display Avatars Sort By:
James DeMonaco
(jdemonaco) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco
Looking for a good weekend trip in the bay area (CA) on 10/12/2011 19:12:38 MDT Print View

Hey everyone,

I just moved to San Francisco and a couple friends and I want to go on a weekend trip somewhere relatively close to here. Scenery doesn't really matter, so I'm open to mountains, beaches, cliffs, etc.

Although I've lived in the area before for some time, I never really went backpacking around here and I haven't the slightest clue as to where to start. I'm used to backpacking the sierras, san gabriels, san bernardinos, etc.

We would prefer a place where we can get water nearby, stream/lake fishing would be a great bonus but its not a deal breaker. Just looking for a fun weekend getaway.

Any trail suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Looking for a good weekend trip in the bay area (CA) on 10/12/2011 19:20:55 MDT Print View

Point Reyes
Henry Coe
Mt. Diablo
+ a dozen more

James DeMonaco
(jdemonaco) - MLife

Thanks on 10/12/2011 19:25:01 MDT Print View

Thanks for the quick reply, mate. I'll start researching those areas

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Thanks on 10/13/2011 10:35:01 MDT Print View

Ken is correct about Point Reyes. The area is quite beautiful but you can only camp at designated sites. I would also look at Big Basin St. Park or maybe Skyline To The Sea trail. Portola St. Park in San Mateo County has a few options. Ohlone Wilderness in Alameda County is another option. If you travel just south of Monterey there is the Ventana Wilderness where there are multiple places to go.

Edited by kennyhel77 on 10/13/2011 10:35:49 MDT.

James DeMonaco
(jdemonaco) - MLife

Awesome... on 10/13/2011 12:19:01 MDT Print View

This is why I love this community, so helpful!

Thank you so much!

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Re: Looking for a good weekend trip in the bay area (CA) on 10/13/2011 23:59:31 MDT Print View

Henry Coe can be hot and dry. Some good hills and elevation change that will keep you in shape over the winter months.

Lost Coast, a bit further north, is a bit of a drive (maybe 5 hours from SF? probably not worse than Ventena), but wonderful.

The Big Sur area, as mentioned, has some wonderful spots. You will leave with poison oak.