Forum Index » GEAR » MLD Solo Mid

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Solo Mid on 10/12/2011 08:23:24 MDT Print View

Miguel what's the length on the extenders? Also what is the purpose of the sleeves and cord on the bottom?

thanks

Miek

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: Solo Mid on 10/12/2011 09:16:08 MDT Print View

I'm guessing it connects the pole handles, on the ground.

The handles are on the ground in the black cup things and the string keeps them at the proper distance. Like the grosgrain under the floor of the Moment and others that has grommets and the pole tips go in

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Solo Mid on 10/12/2011 10:32:36 MDT Print View

FWIW, I went to Lowes and bought a (12" or 18", wish I could remember) aluminum tube (over in the bathroom stuff area, it's a towel rack bar) and use that. It's basically a long pole jack, seems to be the same stuff that MLD uses only longer. Works like a charm and is fairly lightweight.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Solo Mid on 10/12/2011 10:36:44 MDT Print View

Booya. I am heading over there right now.

Pete Harris
(Pealer) - M

Locale: Western Colorado
pole extenders on 10/12/2011 12:29:46 MDT Print View

broken/bent ski poles are often free. Cut and sand into nice pole extenders:
15" long, 1.1 oz ea. they work great. I cut them where the tapered diameter mated well with the tip end of my TiGoat pole tips. These are lighter than my MLD extenders (per inch).

duomid/solomid pole extenders

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: pole extenders on 10/12/2011 17:07:09 MDT Print View

But no good pictures of extenders in use to see how they work.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Pole Extenders on 10/12/2011 18:01:57 MDT Print View

Here's another cheap and easy to get possibility:

Below are old Swiffer pole sections. The sections attach with plastic "button" tabs like on many extendable poles and the plastic tabs are easy to remove. You are left with pole sections that have pre-drilled holes at the top and bottom, each section is 1.2 oz.

I think it would be easy to rig a connector between the sections out of grosgrain ribbon or guyline.

MYOG Pole Extender

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Solo Mid on 10/12/2011 18:11:05 MDT Print View

Miguel what's the length on the extenders? Also what is the purpose of the sleeves and cord on the bottom?

Each pole section is 30cm/12" long.

The sleeves are to hold the ends of the trekking pole handles, and the cord is to set the distance the trekking poles are extended. The cord is adjustable. Not sure the sleeves and cord are necessary, but will give it a try. You can see how this works in the photos lower on the page I linked to.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Solo Mid on 10/12/2011 18:26:42 MDT Print View

The connectors aren't required.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Solo Mid on 10/12/2011 18:31:19 MDT Print View

The connectors aren't required.

Probably not, but Jotaro Yoshida, who is the owner and designer of Locus Gear, is extremely meticulous in what he adds to his designs. There is a reason for everything he does, and everything he offers is designed with extreme lightweight in mind. I'll ask him why he added the sleeves and cord.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Solo Mid on 10/12/2011 18:32:52 MDT Print View

My point for those MYOG types was that the connect is not required to keep the poles in place. That's all.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
pole extenders on 10/12/2011 18:47:27 MDT Print View

just to add- in my experience 18" is needed for extenders for the Duomid for an inverted V, I had two 12" pole jacks from Ron and they were too short- it's possible my poles (BD Carbon Cork) are shorter than other poles, but even just slightly past full extension w/ the 12" pole jacks was not long enough- purchased some thin wall aluminum and cut them to 18", which I found to be just right

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: pole extenders - pics on 10/12/2011 19:43:43 MDT Print View

This thread shows my duomid set up with pole extenders. The first shot shows it set up normally with pole extenders, and rest show it pretty opened up so you can really see the pole extenders. The front extender is my Lowe's special, the back extender is a carbon extender made by GG specifically for the LT4 poles. I had a beta, unfortunately they never made them to sell.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: pole extenders - pics on 10/12/2011 19:49:56 MDT Print View

Thanks for directing to pics of extenders being used Doug.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: MLD Solo Mid on 10/13/2011 11:46:57 MDT Print View

Ok...so in all the comparisons, and being used to my Hubba fly, the Solo Mid is larger that the Hubba fly, and while it is nice to have more space for the money, I don't need much space when camping. I just need shelter. My gear is minimal and this would be mostly for 2-3 days tops. That said, I will try out the Solo Silnylon. Most likely yellow 'cuz the brown would look like poooooop and grey is, well, grey.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: MLD Solo Mid on 10/13/2011 11:58:15 MDT Print View

"the Solo Mid is larger that the Hubba fly"

Mmmm....not pitched. The SoloMid is shorter and the width is narrower.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Re: MLD Solo Mid on 10/13/2011 16:25:08 MDT Print View

hmmm....maybe my math is off, but the hubba has ~26 sq ft vs 30 sq ft. I figured in the vestible space on the Hubba...just going by the MSR website. Rats...now ya did it to me!

David Eitemiller
(DavidE) - MLife
BD ultradistance Z poles + solomid on 11/11/2011 23:39:38 MST Print View

Anyone tried setting up the MLD Solomid with the 120 cm version of these fixed length poles? Did the stiffness suffice and do you need a custom cut length extender?

Edited by DavidE on 11/11/2011 23:42:28 MST.