Rehydrating Hawk Vittles Meals?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Rehydrating Hawk Vittles Meals? on 10/10/2011 17:04:57 MDT Print View

Help.

I plan on using a few Hawk Vittles meals on my next backpacking trip and I just noticed that the rehydrating instructions are a little vague. I will be using the Freezer Bag Cooking Method (just add hot water to the meal in a freezer bag and wait) to avoid dirtying my cooking pot.

Unfortunately the rehydrating instructions don’t specify the specific amount of boiling water I should add to each meal. As an example, the instructions for the Hot Italian Sausage & Pasta single serve meal just states to cover with boiling water to ½ inch above the level of the food. This seems to assume that the food will be in a pot. However, I won’t be putting the food in a pot.

I would like to know how much water (1/2 cup, 1 cup, 1 ½ cups…..) to add to each meal. Can anyone enlighten me on approximately (or exactly) how much water it takes to rehydrate the single servings of the Shrimp Cappellini (1 inch of water), Hot Italian Sausage & Pasta (1/2 inch of water), Beef Stew (1 inch of water) and Spicy Chicken (just above level of food) meals?

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Level indicator on 10/10/2011 19:35:54 MDT Print View

The bag should say height above food or line on bag if I recall. Just add hot water to plastic package and put in cozy

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Yeah on 10/10/2011 19:38:00 MDT Print View

I believe the intent is to add water to the food in the bag it's packed in. Then into a foil cozy, then pot if desired. The measurement info is for the level in that bag.

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Thanks on 10/10/2011 20:22:37 MDT Print View

Thanks for the clarification. I'll use the supplied bag rather than repacking and fill as specified.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
Re: Rehydrating Hawk Vittles Meals? on 10/10/2011 20:56:46 MDT Print View

Richard, Yes fill a little above the food. For an idea of how much water it takes for a 1 person Hawk Vittles I think it will be around 1.5 to 2 cups of water. I did mine with a 475 ml ti cup full and was fine. If in doubt add a little extra water. It is easy to eat it soupy than if too dry to rehydrate.

Jamie

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Hawk Vittles on 10/12/2011 07:53:49 MDT Print View

Hi Richard,
The Hawk Vittles bag is not intended to be used for rehydration. There is no way to reseal it for one thing. Better to repackage in a freezer bag as you had originally planned. Eyeballing the 1/2 inch above the food level works just fine (corresponds to roughly 1 1/2 to 2 cups water per single meal). Be aware that some of the foods, like the Italian sausage pasta for example, have larger macaroni pieces that are fairly slow to rehydrate. This is true for the chicken in the spicy chicken pasta as well. Make sure your water reaches boiling for those, use a little extra water, and allow a good 20 minutes for rehydration.
Hope you enjoy.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Water for Hawk Vittles on 10/12/2011 08:40:15 MDT Print View

I just used some this past week. It took about 1.5 cups per meal for me. Also note, some of the rehydrate times are long(20 mins). I don't always use a cozy but its probably useful with this food.