Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Down Quilt Questions
Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Muthig
(cmuthig) - M

Locale: Georgia
Down Quilt Questions on 10/10/2011 12:15:09 MDT Print View

I'm looking into making myself a baffled down quilt for three season use. What I have decided is to make it without a fixed footbox and to have about 2.25" of loft. I understand how much down I need, but deciding on the length of fabric is where I want some help.

From making a synthetic quilt, I know that I need it to be 72" long when finished if I want to close the footbox and still comfortably use it. So I am planning for a 74" long finished quilt.

So here is my question. When I am cutting the fabric, how long should I be aiming for?

I know on the two ends I will need to add length to the shell and liner to make up for not having a baffle there, so that adds a bit over 2" in length plus 1" for seam allowances (for both ends). Should I make the baffles only 2" tall and have down expand and eat up length, or should I have baffles at 2.25"? Will the expanding down still take up some of that length then?

This is my first attempt at a down piece, so any thoughts on any of the above information would be really appreciated.