Lost Contax T3 - suggestions for new camera
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Haynes
(timalan)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Fuji X10 on 10/18/2011 13:29:41 MDT Print View

If you can wait a few weeks and have the money, I'd hold out for some reviews for the Fuji X10. Looks gorgeous, and with an MSRP of $600, I'd expect it to be possible to get it for $500 or less by Christmas, if your wife is looking for gift ideas.

Looks like it specs out at 12.3 oz with battery and memory card, and with an optical viewfinder, large sensor size, 2.0 - 2.8 28-112 zoom lens, you're looking at what may be the best price/performance camera available for the BPL photo crowd.

On the far other end, if you are just looking for an inexpensive option, there are some excellent cameras that have been made through the years that you can pick up for almost nothing if you can find them. The entire Canon G series is usually good, some of the Panasonics that had the slightly larger sensor sizes, and then some random other cameras through the years, especially Fujis.

I still take an old Fuji E550 on some of my hikes. Takes great outdoor pictures, uses 2xAA batteries, weighs 9.1 oz, and is worthless, being ~7 years old, so I don't worry if something were to happen to it. Here are some pics from a 2005 trip; need to post up some newer ones sometime.

You might consider looking on ebay or craigslist or photo forums for some older cameras that would meet your needs, and keep your expenses minimal.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Fuji X10 on 10/19/2011 01:08:38 MDT Print View

spent ~1hr in Fuji showroom today playing with the X10 which will hit stores this weekend. Unfortunately, I did not bring a memory card with me so no samples to post. I was also annoyed by the camera's internal 26mb memory which would fill with only 5 hi rez jpegs or 1 RAW shot.

Bottom line this will be a nice camera in general but still expensive for what it is. The manual zoom lens appears to be excellent, very sharp with virtually no CA or distortions. FYI, zooming the lens also functions as the sole power on/off switch so it is somewhat amusing to watch everyone playing with the camera for the first time punch every button trying to turn it on! Other than this, the user interface is very intuative with good feedback on exposure via the LCD and the camera feels good in the hand. The optical viewfinder also zooms with the lens too which is nice but AF status is only apparent with an audible beep

The main drawback I found is the extremely slow write speed. Even 1 jpeg takes a good 4-5sec to write to the internal memory, RAW even longer, during which time the camera is locked up and unusable. Maybe write speed will be faster with a memory card but I remember this issue with the Fuji HS20 too.

The Nikon V1/J1 should be in the Nikon showroom now so will take a look at it on Friday.

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Re: Fuji X10 on 10/19/2011 03:07:34 MDT Print View

Something I'm curious about: will there be further advances in digital, so that cameras bought now will be redundant in a couple of years, or is it now a mature technology?

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Fuji X10 on 10/19/2011 11:20:46 MDT Print View

Continued evolution of digital technology is occurring at breakneck pace, so don't be tempted to consider a digital camera an "investment" in something of stable longterm value. There will always be something better released in a year and whatever camera it replaces will plunge in value. Leica M8 owners felt mighty grumpy when the M9 was released and for the first time, the older model's value tanked. You could dish up the schadenfreude with a spoon.

Good lenses, however, do hold their value.

There is plenty of room left for advances in low light, high-ISO performance, autofocus performance, enhanced dynamic range, reduced image noise, better display performance. I'm intentionally leaving off pixel counts--we need clean pixels far more than we need more pixels. I suppose higher image bit rates will be welcomed at the advanced end, but I understand that takes real hardware firepower (i.e., expensive).

Video is in its infancy, and a poor fit in dslrs, and is driving a lot of the technical advancements.

With all that said, what makes a good photo is 20% camera, 80% the person holding the camera. As long as a digital camera remains in good condition, it will take the same pictures five years down the road as it did when it came out of the box.

My "trap" is I start doing new types of shooting and hit the camera's limits, then want something better suited to that type of shooting. Naturally, when a better performing camera hits the market I'm tempted to jump. Marketers seem to know this. :-)

Cheers,

Rick

"Something I'm curious about: will there be further advances in digital, so that cameras bought now will be redundant in a couple of years, or is it now a mature technology?"

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Re: Fuji X10 on 10/20/2011 01:27:52 MDT Print View

"Something I'm curious about: will there be further advances in digital, so that cameras bought now will be redundant in a couple of years, or is it now a mature technology?"

My approach to this issue is to buy little used mint-in-the-original-box second user cameras which are a couple of years old. Yes, it means I'm behind the curve of the latest thing, but it means I get an upgrade path which costs little each year, and I can get a high quality device after it has suffered most of it's depreciation.

As time goes on the gap in capability is narrowing, as the megapixel race is almost over.

It does require a different psychological approach to ownership though. You are not buying "a camera for life".

The trick is to watch the market and see which cameras are 'emerging classics'. They don't depreciate much once over two years old. My current stable includes:

Canon S2IS 'superzoom' - Paid £120 4 years ago. Still worth £70
Fujifilm 200EXR compact - paid £139 a year ago. Still worth £120
Olympus E420 DSLR - Paid £180 a month ago. Won't depreciate much.
Ricoh GX200 - Paid £150 (with EVF). Won't depreciate much.

The higher up the market you go, and the newer the camera, the steeper the losses...

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Re: Fuji X10 on 03/24/2012 04:25:48 MDT Print View

"If you can wait a few weeks and have the money, I'd hold out for some reviews for the Fuji X10. Looks gorgeous, and with an MSRP of $600, I'd expect it to be possible to get it for $500 or less by Christmas, if your wife is looking for gift ideas."

I'm going to Japan next week so can do some duty-free shopping before I go. I'd decided on the X10 but then a salesman suggested the Canon G1X because of the bigger sensor. That sounded good so I got one out of the case and handled it. It was ... blah. A black plastic camera with lumpy bits. The X10 looks better, I love twisting the lens to turn it on and it's smaller than the G1X and I like the retro style and similarity to my Contax T3.

I checked prices here and in Japan (keeping in mind that "duty free" now means claiming under the Tourist Refund Scheme when you leave the country). Surprisingly here was cheaper (unless I was willing to subscribe in Japan to NTT's internet service, for which they would sell me an X10 at half-price. Since I don't need an internet connection in Japan that's not an option).

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
FOREX blues on 03/24/2012 06:03:10 MDT Print View

Yeah with the current En-daka about the only bargains to be had in Japan are with the Nikon 1 system kits.

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Re: FOREX blues on 03/24/2012 07:11:34 MDT Print View

"Yeah with the current En-daka about the only bargains to be had in Japan are with the Nikon 1 system kits."

To be fair, the Yen hasn't gone up much against the Aussie dollar - the two currencies have risen in tandem against the other currencies. The A$ is now worth more than the US$, has pretty much doubled in value against the pound and euro and is almost on parity with the Swiss franc but is roughly in the mid-range of where it's sat against the yen over the last 20 years.

Re the X10: thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice etc.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: FOREX blues on 03/24/2012 10:44:22 MDT Print View

Given the unresolved problem with the X10, I'd hold off purchasing one until Fuji fixes it.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/12/Fujifil-X10-X-S1-white-disc-cause-and-fixes

Agree about the G1X, which seems to be a camera strictly aimed at vacuuming the wallets of Canon fans while Canon dithers on releasing a mirrorless system. At least they now have the system sensor.

Cheers,

Rick

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
What Rick said! on 03/24/2012 15:39:05 MDT Print View

I have to agree with Rick.

There are P&S for the masses, there are semi-pros for the more serious photogs, there are the latest very expensive 'fancy-thats' for the affluent yuppies, and there are some very-high-res pro cameras (which weigh a ton with all their glass and cost a fortune) for the very few photogs who make a living from it.

Yes, there will still be more 'developments', like the multi-focus thing, but they are mostly wierd products looking for a customer.

Low-light low-noise - ah yes! Some room to go there. An increase in sensor size - yes, but that makes the glass heavier.

Me, I am still very happy with my Canon G11. In a fast-access holster on my pack.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: What Rick said! on 03/24/2012 16:04:47 MDT Print View

"Me, I am still very happy with my Canon G11. In a fast-access holster on my pack."

Roger, you may be a wildlife shooter. Have you been trying to snap those drop bears?

--B.G.--

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: What Rick said! on 03/25/2012 03:21:12 MDT Print View

> Have you been trying to snap those drop bears?
Yeah, but they have this aura around them which always fuzzes the photo. One day...

The holster lets me take photos without stopping - get some good ones like that, including other animals.

Cheers

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Re: Re: Fuji X10 on 04/17/2012 07:23:37 MDT Print View

Edited

Edited by Arapiles on 04/20/2012 19:46:14 MDT.