November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Children on the River, 10/1 and 10/8
Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Children on the River, 10/1 and 10/8 on 10/10/2011 00:47:00 MDT Print View

Here's the link to a brief report...

Be warned: There is no talk or photos of gear, mileage, adventure, physical prowess or proclamations of self-ascribed of bada$$ness (seemingly an outdoor blog staple), or anything worth arguing about. I don't think I even mention a location in the post (East Fork, San Gabriel River- my quick, backyard go-to). Just slowtime spent in the woods with my kids. Nothing about the "how" of it, everything about the "why".

Ok, one tidbit on gear: After two nights use so far, my Exped Synmat UL7 is really comfortable.

So far I'm 2/2 on weekend overnights in October! Going for 4/4...Plans for an SUL running solo next weekend.

Edited by xnomanx on 10/10/2011 09:09:41 MDT.

george carr
(hammer-one) - F - MLife

Locale: Walking With The Son
Re:Children on the River, 10/1 and 10/8 on 10/10/2011 17:23:23 MDT Print View

Great stuff, Craig. Much more important than any "epic adventure" will ever be (although I suspect in the years to come your kids will come to realize just how epic this was).

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Children on the River, 10/1 and 10/8 on 10/10/2011 17:26:33 MDT Print View

Very, very sweet writeup Craig. As I like to say: lucky kids, lucky dad.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Cute kids! on 10/10/2011 17:30:59 MDT Print View

Cute dog!!!

That's the way to do it, Craig! You have some outdoor partners for life!s

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Great on 10/13/2011 09:52:39 MDT Print View

My favorite line, "Who gives a s#!t how expensive that jacket was; you'd be a fool to try and stop a kid from being a kid."