Forum Index » GEAR » Awesome cheap puffy

Display Avatars Sort By:
Johnny Duke
(jd1987) - F
got mine on 10/12/2011 14:56:30 MDT Print View

I picked mine up today. $32 is awesome. Extremely comfortable although it's still too warm to wear right now. I'll post a pic of the blue one. I'm about 5'10" 145 for reference wearing an xl. Sleeves are just about right on me, (sorry about the hands in pockets)but closer to being too short rather than long. Mine zips up to right under my chin. I'm pretty impressed by it (especially for the price) so far.Blue jacket

Edit - it looks like it zips at my neck, but with the hood up and no hands in my pockets it is right below my chin. nice and snug like.

Edited by jd1987 on 10/12/2011 14:59:30 MDT.

William Zila
(Ultralightwillinn.m) - MLife

Locale: Albuquerque
butcher it on 10/12/2011 15:06:34 MDT Print View

im modding mine today im getting rid of the heavy zip and making it a 1/4 zip with a ykk #3 also ditching the pockets see how light i can get this baby =D

Johnny Duke
(jd1987) - F
Re: butcher it on 10/12/2011 15:13:02 MDT Print View

Nice. I like the quarter zip idea. I might get my brother to make some mods on mine too... interested to see how yours turns out.

William Zila

9 ounces on 10/12/2011 18:32:50 MDT Print View

i got it down to 9 ounces mods i made include cutting out the zipper and pockets converting it to 1/4 zip and removing the hood i will get pics up soon

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks Kat on 10/13/2011 14:03:32 MDT Print View

Rod And Pamela , I shipped yours yesterday.
Nathan, I shipped yours this morning.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Locale: SoCal
fit on 10/13/2011 15:15:54 MDT Print View

From the photos it seems long - which I like, but not exactly an athletic cut... I'll have to stop by Costco these days to check it out.

William Zila

Cons on 10/13/2011 16:02:36 MDT Print View

Only con so far is that the back has very little loft in comparasin to the front or at least on mine it does. Some baffles are really stuffed some have very little down I may open up some stitches and move the down around

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: 9 ounces on 10/13/2011 18:15:06 MDT Print View

9oz is the weight on my MB Inner Parka. Any photos to add William?

Anyone have a guess to the fill weight of down? Could this be a good way to buy some down for MYOG projects?

Edited by cobberman on 10/13/2011 18:18:05 MDT.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Got one! on 10/13/2011 23:18:10 MDT Print View

Yesterday. Wanted Blue or Black, but settled for Green. Neither store near me had those colors in an XL. Pretty sweet deal. I'll weigh it and post that later.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Got one! on 10/13/2011 23:28:42 MDT Print View

Dang, I wish was thinner. This is cheap enough that it wouldn't bother me to cut off the sleeves to make the vest that I've been wanting for a while.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Vest? Sure. on 10/14/2011 18:19:28 MDT Print View

It'd make a good vest if your skilled on a sewing machine.

I'm 5'9" and 148-150 lbs. and it is ever so slightly big. But the Large was not big enough.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Vest? Sure. on 10/14/2011 19:38:18 MDT Print View

Tried one on just tonight, and the XL felt like a more athletic cut than my Large Montbell UL Parka. If i didn't have that already I'd have totally bought one. How easy do you all think it would be to make it into a vest?

Pamela Peng
(WuffRuff) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks Kat on 10/14/2011 20:27:07 MDT Print View

Kat, thanks a lot!
I got the Paypal too. Thanks!!

Pamela Peng
(WuffRuff) - F
Re: Re: Vest? Sure. on 10/14/2011 23:21:57 MDT Print View

Should be very easy.
The difference between a vest and a jacket is just the sleeves.
Just cut off the sleeves and sew it up.

Don't waste the sleeves too, there's lots of stuff you can do with the sleeves:
- Neck gaiter/ scarf
- Down pillow
- Down socks and mittens
- Kids pants
- Doggy winter coat/vest (easy, just cut two holes for the legs and sew it up. You can take more trouble to make it nicer if you like, such as making a hood, etc.)

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Re: Vest? Sure. on 10/15/2011 12:20:20 MDT Print View

The best way to do this is to sew two lines 1/4" apart and cut in the middle.
make it about 3/4" longer than you would want the vest to be at and just do a double fold to hide the cut and make the seam look good.

Juliana Cho
(choyoyo) - M
Multitude of colors at the Richmond, CA Costco on 10/15/2011 19:09:07 MDT Print View

For you bay area folks,

I just swung by the Richmond, CA Costco today, and noticed that they had these jackets in pink, purple, blue, electric blue, green and black. Quite a lot of colors! There seemed to be XL sizes in all the colors except black.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

sizing on 10/15/2011 20:30:41 MDT Print View

I checked these out today, I could only find an XL in pink and sleeves were too short for me, otherwise not a bad fit (although my wife said it was too small); I'm 5'10 and 135 lbs.
My wife (5'5 and 95 lbs) tried a light blue L - sleeves were on the short side, body was loose but long. She also tried a black M sleeves were way too short, but the body was actually boxier than the L, so there's some variance. We gave up.
They are quite lofty and I'd say a 600 fill. If your arms are on the shorter side, they're worth checking out.

Ryan C
(radio_guy) - MLife

Locale: OH & AK
Wow... on 10/15/2011 21:00:43 MDT Print View

Got a black XL today and it is pretty neat for the price. I did notice that there are inconsistencies in the sleeve length, one XL had shorter sleeves than another XL I tried. This thing puffs up like 600+ fill and is exactly 12oz on my scale.

For those who have them, what does this thing compare to from regular big brands in regard to bulk and warmth? Montbell UL Down Inner or Alpine Lite Parka? Patagonia Down Sweater? Eddie Bauer Down Sweater? Others?

Terri Wright
(ncalcamper) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: sizing on 10/16/2011 19:45:47 MDT Print View

I ended up getting an XL green, last XL left. I'm short, but needed the XL in the chest area. It is pretty long, but it covers my butt, which has a tendency to get cold at night, so that's a bonus. I want to try winter camping and am looking for ways to extend my current gear. Can go wrong for the price and down seems really nice.

Tom Ferry
(thecook) - F
inconsistent sizing on 10/16/2011 19:46:55 MDT Print View

Took my son today to get one for him and the sizing was all over the place. He tried on 4 or 5 XL's with sleeve lengths from 4" above his wrist to just below his wrist.