Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Baggie Balaclava wind & rain hoodie
Display Avatars Sort By:
b d
(bdavis) - F

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.
Baggie Balaclava wind & rain hoodie on 12/24/2006 12:10:41 MST Print View

Baggie Balaclava windstopper over MH balaclava

I wanted to figure out a way to use my trekking hat, micro beanie, and light weight Mountain Hardwear balaclava in wet, windy, cold weather without carrying a lot of other gear for an afternoon or day walk.

So I started with a light weight garbage bag to use as a rain top and wind block. That fit into a small area of one pocket.

Keeping the head dry and protected better from the wind was the issue.

So, I took a light weight grocery store veggie baggie and put a hole in it to match the hole on my MH balaclava. Then I put it on my head, under my trekking hat.

It worked the other day in 28 - 34 F light wind, rain, sleet, snow. Although it won't last long in all probablility, it gives me the confidence I don't have to take other rain gear. (I took my windshirt with hood but between the rain, wind, and snow it was getting wet ... and it was more fun to experiment anyway.)

So here are pics of the Baggie Balaclava, the MH balaclava, and Baggie Balaclava over the MH balaclava:

Baggie Balaclava by itself

MH balaclava without Baggie Balaclava

Baggie Balaclava over MH balaclava

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Baggie Balaclava wind & rain hoodie on 12/26/2006 10:25:18 MST Print View

You're one weird lookin' dude, BD ; ) But seriously, for "gear on the cheap" you can't go wrong with plastic bags. Granted they lack breathability but in the case of a balaclava the front opening provides this. And as you point out, durability is almost nil but in the case of a long hike with resupplied these kind of baggies are readily available and their weight could allow carrying of multiples with very little penalty.