Forum Index » GEAR » Whats the lightest chair?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ultra Magnus
(Ultra_Magnus) - F
Re: Re: Re: Monarch Butterfly Camp Chair on 10/07/2011 12:29:21 MDT Print View

I use a monarch butterfly several times a week at my daughter's soccer practices and games. I'm also a good bit over 200lbs and I've often got another little one climbing on my lap and I've had no durability issues. I do wonder though how light it could be with a little dyneema and carbon fiber treatment though...

As for it's usage, my main purpose for getting it is because my knees hurt badly if sitting on the ground for any length of time, esp. when trying to get up from sitting cross legged. I have the normal folding soccer family chairs but they are big, bulky, and set me too tall to take good soccer action photos. So, for a while I was sitting on the ground, and bringing a cut piece of ccf pad to keep my butt off the wet grass.

I guess my only negative criticism would be regarding the reclined position. It's not ideal for camp chores like tending to your dinner, or even eating your dinner. I'm a horrible dribbler when eating reclined, but the reclined position is very comfortable for relaxing in, as compared to a camp stool that sits up upright. Oh, and also the narrow placement of the feet. If you are on soft or uneven ground, it can be a bit finicky getting it to sit without feeling like you are tipping over.

Using your feet to balance yourself is absolutely a non-issue. I never have even come close to tipping over backwards.

BM

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Whats the lightest chair? on 10/07/2011 12:45:33 MDT Print View

DSC00472

Lean pack against rock, tree, or support with pole(s) if possible. Sit on sleeping pad. Sleeping bag optional to keep legs warm. When tired, just go to sleep in bag or quilt. If using torso pad, move pack under legs to sleep. Added weight = 0 grams.

:)

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
The issue for OP is "with a back on it" on 10/07/2011 15:10:35 MDT Print View

I think once you're in the category that you want back support, it's down to the Monarch Butterfly and that Slinglite chair.

Personally, I'm either right at or over the load spec for the Monarch and I also like to site upright in order to cook or eat in my "no drips hit me" arch that has been perfected eating greasy hunks of heaven from the roach coaches, so I like the 3-legged stools. I particularly prefer not to sit on the wet/cold/dirty (gasp) ground and the stool is great for that.

The REO stool is just about right at 16 oz once you ditch the stuff bag and such. That's darn light for something that useful.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Whats the lightest chair? on 10/07/2011 16:54:09 MDT Print View

You can carry a piece of fabric and rig a good camp chair from a tripod of 3 wood poles.
Here is a video of a guy making one with a poncho: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDjBtE43fvs

Can't get much lighter than that.

Holger Goehr
(Holger) - F
Lightest Chair? on 10/08/2011 18:33:52 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the replies. Monarch and Sling look interesting. Here in Australia we have too many BIG ants, and other insects & spiders to sit on the ground.
Sling looks good, a bit big (bulky) and no easy internet shopping...(not even email..)
Monarch looks good, light and no so bulky, but some seem to hate and some to love it? I’d love to try it. Worry about sitting on soft sand with it to.
3 legged chairs I used before, but find them uncomfortable after a while (men know where) and with an average back a backrest would really be appreciated.
What is the link to the Carbon Chair?
Thanks

Edited by Holger on 10/08/2011 19:12:42 MDT.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Whats the lightest chair on 10/08/2011 20:31:20 MDT Print View

Before you make a final decision, and maybe make a considerable investment in ordering from overseas, please consider the design used by LaFuma in their canoe chair. They are probably no longer available, but look like this:
http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500047&jxBrand=Lafuma
Unfortunately, they use steel tube, which brings it up around 3 lbs; but their design has been imitated by many cheap aluminum beach chairs weighing in the 2# range.

IMO, this design is a lot more comfortable than the ones mentioned above, provides good back support, elevates you off the ground, and folds up flat, or close to flat, for packing. I've made several of them a bit narrower and out of aluminum tube for friends, and use one myself with leno mesh for the seat and back support that weighs 1.75 lbs. It looks this this, open, and folded:
chairOpen
ChairFolded

I'm currently working on a lighter model that should weigh around 1.25 lbs. The great thing about the mesh is that there is no fabric to absorb water, and you can use the chair when it's raining.

Suggest you first check out small folding beach or sand chairs in your local sporting goods and department stores. If you find the right one, you can always replace the cloth or woven plastic seat and back with mesh.

Edited by scfhome on 10/08/2011 21:08:26 MDT.

Dutch Anderson
(Silveradodutchman) - F

Locale: Central Florida
Chair on 10/08/2011 21:15:52 MDT Print View

So I'll take one of the 1.25 pound chairs. Price?

Holger Goehr
(Holger) - F
Whats the lightest chair on 10/09/2011 01:58:06 MDT Print View

Can You sit forward / upright in the sling light or do you always have to lean back?
In the pics on their websit it looks a bit like the front bar doesn't allow you to lean forward to cook between your legs. Looks like it would cut into your legs?

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Whats the lightest chair? on 10/09/2011 21:48:38 MDT Print View

>So I'll take one of the 1.25 pound chairs. Price?

Dutch, it might be hard to believe, but some of us posting are not doing it to sell you something. I usually post on MYOG, and must have got confused. Must have been unconsciously trying to promote MYOG.

George Geist
(geist) - M

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: Whats the lightest chair on 10/10/2011 12:27:10 MDT Print View

> Can You sit forward / upright in the sling light or do you always have to lean back?

Hi Holger,

Yes, you can sit forward and cook between your legs as shown in this picture.
I have also modified my slinglight to lay back even farther than standard set up so that it becomes a cot (by simply lengthening the cord to the back "V")
Slinglight sitting up cooking

Here I am napping in the slinglight in "cot" mode. Note the headrest is also attached.
Slinglight chair in cot mode

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Another plus on 10/10/2011 13:57:29 MDT Print View

for the Sling Light
SlingLightsBoys

Edited by johnk on 10/10/2011 14:09:23 MDT.

Jack G
(NomadJack) - F

Locale: Midwest
Chair on 10/10/2011 14:35:30 MDT Print View

Saw an infomercial for the pocket chair recently. Wasn't able to find a weight though. Buy one get one free, what a deal.

https://www.pocketchair.com/

George Geist
(geist) - M

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: Pocket Chair weight on 10/10/2011 20:44:54 MDT Print View

The Pocket Chair weighs 2 lbs. I looked at one in Walmart.
I was amazed by how heavy it was given how small it folds

Holger Goehr
(Holger) - F
Whats the lightest chair? on 10/10/2011 23:55:54 MDT Print View

The sling looks like the best suited out there. Does anybody know their email adress, they just have a telephone number on their website, which makes it hard to contact them from Australia.
Also would like to know the shipping costs first(they can be a real deal breaker..).

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
"Whats the lightest chair?" on 10/11/2011 07:10:44 MDT Print View

Technically, it is a stool and not a full chair, but this is a real light weight, servicable stool (~14oz stripped down.) Great for long hikes with out a place to sit. They dry off easily and are fairly durable, given the UL nature of the beast.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41192 for one link.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: "Whats the lightest chair?" on 10/11/2011 11:17:06 MDT Print View

I see a giant hole in the market!!

>1lb yuck

Although I wouldnt want to pay $200 for some carbon chair that weighs 10.oz either.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Email address for Slinglight on 10/11/2011 12:28:41 MDT Print View

You can use freeform@earthlink.net to email Slinglight. He said they will ship to Australia.

Holger Goehr
(Holger) - F
Whats the lightest chair on 10/11/2011 13:11:00 MDT Print View

Thanks!

Holger Goehr
(Holger) - F
Whats the lightest chair? on 10/12/2011 02:23:00 MDT Print View

One more thing, could somebody tell me the dimensions of the foldet slinglight?
(length x width).
Thank you all!

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: "Whats the lightest chair?" on 10/12/2011 06:47:59 MDT Print View

With the tripod stools, one of the key features is the foot used on each leg. The Campmor stool uses small end caps, and the REI and some others use widened feet. The wider feet don't punch through the soil so quickly and, having both kinds, I can tell you this is noticeable.

The REI stool "lightens up" nicely if you ditch the stuff sack and/or sling, since it's an aluminum-legged version. Similar steel-legged versions weigh twice as much, ie two lb.