Forum Index » GEAR » Whats the lightest chair?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Holger Goehr
(Holger) - F
Whats the lightest chair? on 10/06/2011 02:59:50 MDT Print View

I am searching for the lightest camp chair available, but I want to sit off the ground ( Bullants hurt). So Therm-a-rest chair cover is out. (And I use the neoair which doesn't work that well with the cover).
So off the ground and with back rest.
Can't find anything under 2kg.
Thanks

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Whats the lightest chair? on 10/06/2011 03:28:41 MDT Print View

http://www.slinglight.com/

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
lightest chair: hammock on 10/06/2011 07:55:39 MDT Print View

A hammock which you already use for sleeping in. :)

(and I actually can't sleep in them, but they're nice for those who can)

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Lightest Chair on 10/06/2011 08:09:36 MDT Print View

I (and all of my buddies) carry the Thermarest LiteSeat. We usually find logs or rocks upon which we can park our butts. It inflates instantly with just a puff of air and is very comfortable (in addition to being good to take to stadium events).

I sleep in a hammock and, while I do spend time sitting in it, often I don't have trees near where I would want to sit where I could hang my hammock. We usually eat together (sometimes around a fire ring) and it would be tough to participate in the conversations if I was limited to where appropriate trees are.

There were some postings about a 3-legged carbon fiber/cuben stool a couple of months ago. That looked really impressive and if it were on the market would probably be in my gear closet, but I don't know if it would meet the OP's needs.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Lightest Chair on 10/06/2011 08:19:11 MDT Print View

"There were some postings about a 3-legged carbon fiber/cuben stool a couple of months ago. That looked really impressive and if it were on the market would probably be in my gear closet, but I don't know if it would meet the OP's needs."

A wonderful, lightweight chair, yes, but it doesn't have back support, so it wouldn't meet the OP's needs.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Whats the lightest chair? on 10/06/2011 08:23:21 MDT Print View

The Jerry Chair.

Check it out on hammockforums.net

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Re: Whats the lightest chair? on 10/06/2011 08:37:16 MDT Print View

The Jerry Chair doesn't sit up off the ground & therefore wouldn't meet the OP's specs.

Personally, I'd snatch up 3 legged stool sans back if it weighed in the neighborhood of 8 ouces or less. But alas, my searcheshave never found that gold at the end of the rainbow.

Ben H.
(bzhayes) - F

Locale: So. California
Monarch Butterfly Camp Chair on 10/06/2011 09:49:25 MDT Print View

What do people think about the Monarch Butterfly Camp Chair? It certainly meets the OP's requirements. Though I'm not sure how he feels about the design (you have to use your legs and balance).

http://www.alitedesigns.com/monarch-camp-chair-5

They have really good reviews on REI

http://www.rei.com/product/792007/alite-monarch-butterfly-chair

I know they aren't ultra-lightweight, but I m considering it for a lightweight/comfort set-up

Edited by bzhayes on 10/06/2011 09:54:31 MDT.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: Monarch Butterfly Camp Chair on 10/06/2011 10:04:14 MDT Print View

I tried one out in the store a few months back and put it on my wishlist. I planned on picking one up at the REI garage sale a couple weeks ago but each one I found had the lightweight aluminum tube splinter at one of the hub joints. It's fine if you get it at REI and use their fantastic return policy, but be aware that it could damage in the field. But they are comfy!

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: Monarch Butterfly Camp Chair on 10/06/2011 10:44:31 MDT Print View

On our last hike, there were four of these among the five of us. Stripped of it's bag, and packed with two scrunchy rubber bands, it weighs 536 g / 1 lb 2.9 oz.

One of the chairs suffered a broken strut, probably from not being fully inserted into the hub.

Aside from that, is was a worthwhile luxury item, and very comfortable.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Whats the lightest chair? on 10/06/2011 11:28:05 MDT Print View

Michael, you're right that it isn't off the ground by itself. Adding a ccf sitpad is technically off the ground, but after re-reading, I think he wants higher than that.

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Re: Re: Monarch Butterfly Camp Chair on 10/06/2011 11:35:42 MDT Print View

I love mine and it's very comfortable. At first, it feels a bit awkward to get into the chair but after a 3 or 4 times, it's very easy - it's just that feeling of going to sit and not feeling anything there yet because the chair is so low. But once you've done it, you don't even think about it. Once you are seated, there isn't much work needed to balance; just stretch your legs out or keep your knees bent. Another thing I just realized about this chair is that because it is low to the ground, it's easy to set drinks down next to you without having to lean over like you would on a higher chair.

Mike

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Monarch Butterfly Chair with Trekking Poles? on 10/06/2011 13:20:46 MDT Print View

This chair looks pretty appealing - I have a bunch of the Thermarest chairs in my possession, but I'm just not comfortable in them for more than 10 minutes at a stretch.

I have a silly question about the Butterfly chair for those of you who have one...Could you attach your trekking pole (or poles) to the back to give you a 4-legged chair? The trekking poles would be for, like when you're hiking, balance only so you wouldn't be putting a lot of weight on them. I was thinking it might give you that "I won't tip backwards now" assurance.

When do I really like to have a chair in camp? When I'm eating and the thought of having to balance while eating isn't so appealing. I may need to buy one at REI to try it myself, but if anyone has any thoughts on this I'd appreciate it.

Kevin Lutz
(mtntrailrunner) - F
No on 10/06/2011 13:32:52 MDT Print View

"Could you attach your trekking pole (or poles) to the back to give you a 4-legged chair?"

The simple answer is no, barring major modifications that add weight. If you want a comfortable "real" chair that is off the ground, just get the Monarch and eat the weight penalty. I love mine. You can go lighter but you won't be as comfortable.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re Kevin on 10/06/2011 14:42:40 MDT Print View

We ate meals in our Butterflies without any more problem then the occasional dribble - but that would have happened anyway with the crew there!

I did try leaning back against a large log in mine at one point, and found it very comfortable indeed!

This is truly a luxury item, as is any chair, and I won't be carrying it on a regular basis. I brought it along as most of the guys were spending a lot of time fishing, and I didn't feel like fishing - so I brought a Kindle instead! The chair and Kindle, under the pines, was a great way to relax!

George Geist
(geist) - M

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: Whats the lightest chair? on 10/06/2011 15:55:54 MDT Print View

Hi Holger,

+1 on the Slinglight chair http://www.slinglight.com/

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Slinglight on 10/06/2011 18:49:55 MDT Print View

+2 on the Slinglight. I liked the Monarch Butterfly when trying it out and was going to get it when I read about the Slinglight and went with it. It's nice to have a real chair to sit in at the end of the day. My bad back says it's well worth the 18 oz. People on the trail often laugh at the site of it on my pack until I tell then how much it weighs.

But I should get an endorsement fee for all the advertising I give them.

Slinglight

Edited by rlnunix on 10/06/2011 18:54:05 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Whats the lightest chair? on 10/06/2011 19:05:50 MDT Print View

You can buy hammocks in the 7oz range, like the Grand Trunk Nano 7, or re-rig an inexpensive one like the Grand Trunk Ultralight. It is perfectly feasible to have a fully rigged hammock that is under a pound.

Of course you need a couple trees or other suitable anchor points. That leaves you with a comfortable chair and a lounge too. Taking a mid-day nap in your hammock after a long series of switchbacks is the ultimate in hiking indulgences. You could throw all caution to the wind and actually spend the night in one too :)

Paul Gibson
(pgibson) - F

Locale: SW Idaho
Re: Monarch Butterfly Camp Chair on 10/07/2011 11:39:30 MDT Print View

I heard a lot about the Monarch about a month ago and figured I would give them a try. I really like it and they are way more comfortable than a stool. I have been sitting in mine to tie flies for this weekends Tenkara trip. If things go good we are likely going to start stocking them in the next couple weeks.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Re: Monarch Butterfly Camp Chair on 10/07/2011 12:10:59 MDT Print View

I have the same desire that I believe the OP does, and that is I want to sit at chair height. My legs are 60 years old each, and while I can still walk on them all day, they complain a lot when I have to get up off the ground, or nearly so. To me, that's more important than having a back.

So I am looking at REI's 3 legged stool. For my goals, it sounds like a better fit.

That stool, the Monarch, and the slinglite all weigh 18-19 ounces. Pretty much a tie there.