Suggestions for ice axe protector?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rodney OndaRock
(RodneyOndaRock) - F

Locale: Southern California
Suggestions for ice axe protector? on 10/04/2011 09:54:52 MDT Print View

For designs on what not to do, look at the reviews for the ones at REI. either a defect that does not cover the sharp points, or a rubberized one that falls apart in 4 months.

right now, I just wrap the sharp edges with a cloth rag. gotta be a better idea.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
ie axe protector on 10/04/2011 10:26:52 MDT Print View

Pieces of an old mountain bike tire held together with duct tape.

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
EPE foam on 10/04/2011 11:37:40 MDT Print View

When packing an axe in my luggage to travel, I use chunks of expanded polythene foam for both spike and head. I've carved a custom-fitted slot for the head, and simply cut out a recess for the spike end.

EPE foam salvaged from packaging. Light, free, pretty robust.

I don't generally use protectors when the axe is strapped to my pack.

Henk Smees
(theflyingdutchman) - MLife

Locale: Spanish Mountains
Webbing on 10/04/2011 14:24:13 MDT Print View

Made two short sleeves out of ≈ 1" webbing (for pick & spike); these can be fastened to the pack when needed (depending on whether the trip requires an ice axe or not).

Don’t have pictures here (in the office), but could make (and post) these tomorrow -- if there is an interest.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
cheap on 10/04/2011 16:57:07 MDT Print View

i used two duct tape "envelopes" with a hair tie looped through for tension. easy on/off, cheap, held up.

Rodney OndaRock
(RodneyOndaRock) - F

Re: Webbing on 10/06/2011 14:25:31 MDT Print View

@Henk Smees (theflyingdutchman)
Thank you for offering to post photos of the webbing setup-- There is interest.

Edited by RodneyOndaRock on 10/06/2011 14:32:55 MDT.

Rodney OndaRock
(RodneyOndaRock) - F

Re: cheap - duct tape on 10/06/2011 14:27:37 MDT Print View

@Ozzy McKinney (PorcupinePhobia)
I'm guessing the duct tape envelope is double sided with the sticky side on the inside? did you hole punch for the hair tie?
thank you for posting.

Edited by RodneyOndaRock on 10/06/2011 14:33:30 MDT.

Rodney OndaRock
(RodneyOndaRock) - F

Re: EPE foam on 10/06/2011 14:29:19 MDT Print View

@Kevin Beeden (captain_paranoia)
Thank you for the this foam idea, I wonder if I can convert the flotation swimming pool noodle into a sheath.. fun experiment.

Edited by RodneyOndaRock on 10/06/2011 14:34:05 MDT.

Rodney OndaRock
(RodneyOndaRock) - F

Re: ie axe protector - an old mountain bike tire on 10/06/2011 14:32:10 MDT Print View

@ David Chenault (DaveC)
Thank you for the reply. I don't have an old bike tire around, but I live near a few bike shops, I will ask them for a free donation :)

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
duct tape on 10/06/2011 14:35:32 MDT Print View

the envelopes are just pockets made of duct tape folded over on itself on 3 sides, so no sticky sides are exposed on any face (if that is what you were asking). just poked a hole for the hairtie with a knife.

for what its worth, used ducttape for crampon point protecters and anti-ball plates as well. the antiball plates weigh nothing and worked way better than other folks storebought ones on a week long expedition last year :D

Edited by PorcupinePhobia on 10/06/2011 14:38:30 MDT.

Henk Smees
(theflyingdutchman) - MLife

Locale: Spanish Mountains
Pictures of webbing set-up (by TFD) on 10/08/2011 04:29:17 MDT Print View

Rodney,

Here are a few pictures of my way to protect the ice-axe (apologize for the poor quality). How to attach these (one for the head and one for the spike) depends on your pack. My previous one (store-bought) for which this set-up was initially made, has two straps coming down from the lid and another two straps going under the bottom. Once you see the pics, you’ll get the idea of how I did it. Every pack is different, so you’ll have to figure out how to attach the protectors to yours.

1a. Protector of the head. Forget about the strap going down (with triangle D-ring) – at the moment I’m using an MYOG pack and this strap is part of same. The strap going up (on a normal pack, this could be much shorter) is fixed to de bottom strap of my pack with a triglide.
1a. Head protector

1b. Detail.
1b. Head protector

1c. Detail (other side). Pay attention to how the strap is winded around the adze and fixed with a trident buckle. The advantage: I can reach backwards with my hand to undo the buckle and grab my ice axe without having to take my pack of.
1c. Head protector

1d. Detail. Once again; forget about the strap with de D-ring going down.
1d. Head protector

2a. Protector of the spike. The “buckle” on the left (don’t know the name) is used to fix the protector to one of the strap coming down from the lid of the pack.
2a. Spike protector

2b. Close-up of spike-protector.
2b. Spike protector

2c. Same without ice axe.
2c. Spike protector

2d. Close-up of fixing buckle (strap coming down from lid is going through this one).
2d. Spike protector

2e. Same; seen from the other side.
2e. Spike protector

2f. Complete spike protector.
2f. Spike protector

2g. Close-up of bottom part of spike protector without ice axe.
2g. Spike protector

Hope this is clear; if not, just ask.

Henk (TFD)
Aka. The Flying Dutchman

Rodney OndaRock
(RodneyOndaRock) - F

@Henk Smees (theflyingdutchman) - very cool setup. on 10/13/2011 14:26:30 MDT Print View

Thanks for the photos. This gives me a few good ideas. I like the buckle clip. convenience makes sense.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
ice axe tip protector with velcro wrap on 02/20/2012 09:59:05 MST Print View

my BD ice axe has an openining at all three points, probably to thread rope, carabiner or clip through it. So I used a half inch wide velcro to cover the pointy edges from cutting me or the backpack. Velcro is also a multi-use item in my emergency kit.

ice axe velcro tip.jpgice axe velcro adze.jpg

I did have two earlier ghetto style attempts.
one was with a styrofoam packaging that came with a laptop
it's sort of OK to store the ice axe in a closet, but obviously too bulky for trail.ice axe velcro tip lousy attempt styrofoam.jpg

I also did another lousy attempt that was very noisy, I took an empty hand sanitizer pump bottle, melted the opening with pliers and a metal nail over the stove, and melted a couple of hole for an elastic or string. this design was a little clunky. the pointy tip of the adze would go inside the plastic bottle. ice axe velcro tip lousy attempt plastic bottle.jpg

Edited by RogerDodger on 02/20/2012 10:08:53 MST.

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Locale: New England
kiss it on 02/21/2012 16:25:14 MST Print View

Duck tape, card board from a cereal box, and a piece of cord. The hair tie is a good idea. If you lose it, which you will, you can make a new one.