Forum Index » GEAR » Dog Beds in the backcountry

Display Avatars Sort By:
Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
re: Z-lite on 10/03/2011 09:19:41 MDT Print View

I use a Z-lite cut down to 7 panels. The dogs will always curl up on it instead of dirt so they must like it. The only negative is I usually carry it as it hangs off the back of their packs and flaps around when they are walking, which I find annoying. Here's a pic from Saturday night. It was 25 when I checked in the morning.

Buddy in SL3

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Just to be fair on 10/03/2011 12:53:43 MDT Print View

I cut a deal with my dog(s) that I carry their mat a 22"x36" CCF pad @ 5oz and I stick a few odds and ends in their pack. It just fits better on my pack and also protects my fishing rod. Please dont tell them that as I dont want to have to cut another deal.

Edited by mtmnmark on 10/03/2011 12:54:48 MDT.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
re: Just to be fair on 10/03/2011 13:40:30 MDT Print View

"I cut a deal with my dog(s) that I carry their mat a 22"x36" CCF pad @ 5oz and I stick a few odds and ends in their pack. It just fits better on my pack and also protects my fishing rod. Please dont tell them that as I dont want to have to cut another deal."

Me too. And to make sure that the packs stay balanced I use factory sealed 12 oz cylinders, 1 in each pack. Those are about the only consumables that don't get shared with the dog. Besides chocolate, of course.

Johnny Duke
(jd1987) - F
compromise on 10/03/2011 15:51:48 MDT Print View

ahh - that's it. A compromise for trading items to carry. That takes care of the size issue. Haha I like it thanks.

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Re: re: Just to be fair on 10/03/2011 18:30:35 MDT Print View

"And to make sure that the packs stay balanced I use factory sealed 12 oz cylinders"

Ha, I've never bothered to spend the money for a dog pack- it always seemed like more bother than it was worth-but you're making me see the lite.

btw I enjoy the shelter picture. My photos of camp always bring back a lot of memories if I can just remember to take them. Thanks.

Edited by DavidAdair on 10/03/2011 18:38:22 MDT.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Dog Beds in the backcountry on 10/03/2011 22:17:12 MDT Print View

I haven't taken my dog hiking yet, but he goes car camping with the wife and I. He always manages to find a way to sneak onto a self-inflating mat. One night my wife froze out and slept in the car, when I woke up the dog was curled up on her Thermarest. He also has a propensity for hopping on my down quilt as soon as I get out of it. We bring along an old GG Nightlight torso pad for him to lay on but as soon as he sees an opening on something more comfortable he takes it. I just ordered a bunch of stuff to make my wife a synthetic bag and I think I'm going to use the scraps to make a packable dog bed. I draw the line at getting him a self-inflating pad though :D

Adam

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
GG Nightlight Pad on 10/04/2011 14:53:40 MDT Print View

When I take my dog camping, I bring a Torso length GG Nightlight pad for him to use. I carry it during the day (it serves as the backpanel/frame for my pack) and use it as a seat during breaks or in camp. At night, it goes in the tent.

I'm sure outside of winter, the dog doesn't NEED it, but he mostly sleeps on a bed at home and curls up onto his pad when we camp and stays put for the night, so it seems like he enjoys it.

Like others, I'll let the dog carry some of my other items for me in exchange.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Re: GG Nightlight Pad on 10/04/2011 14:56:57 MDT Print View

It appears that a lot of dogs are using this one!

Most dogs do need the insulation from the ground. That's especially true if they are short-haired or if they sleep indoors at home.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Locale: Boston
he never uses it... on 10/04/2011 16:11:57 MDT Print View

I've tried multiple "beds" for my boy and he never really uses any of them so I've stopped trying. We'll see what he says in the snow, but he's half Huskey and I've seen them sleep in their self made snow beds in much colder conditions, so who knows...

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Re: he never uses it... on 10/04/2011 17:04:34 MDT Print View

You can take the bed for the dog, but you can't make him sleep on it! :-)

jim draucker
(mtnjim) - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA
Dog Bed on 10/04/2011 18:31:50 MDT Print View

I spoon with my Jack Russell. She has better eyes and ears than me and keeps the boogie man at bay:)

Jim

Jesse H.
(tacedeous) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Dog Bed on 10/04/2011 22:11:48 MDT Print View

^ +1!

Only mine is a yorkshire terrier, she even has a pack :D

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
dags on 10/04/2011 22:46:59 MDT Print View

Here's my buddies dog's setup. He's got a ruff wear bed, 4 days of food AND a dog fleece in his pack here..wardog
and his bowl..

war2

this was up at emigrant wilderness in late aug. and my buddy and i ended up getting separated on the 2nd day of our 4 day trip and his dog happened to be with me at the time so he ended up sleeping in my Hexamid SOLO! very tight fit(im 6'3). He keep trying to nudge over on to my brand new neoair small and highlite but i keep him off. everything and everyone survived!

Edited by JasonG on 10/04/2011 23:11:36 MDT.

Johnny Duke
(jd1987) - F
A long while ago on 10/05/2011 09:11:24 MDT Print View

I remember camping about 12 years ago with my dad and brother and cousin and our yellow lab. My cousin at the time was lucky enough to get the air mattress, but when he woke up he was on the floor. Our dog had nudged him off in the middle of the night and claimed the bed. We were probably 8 or 9 at the time.

I don't know if I actually remember that or not, but I've heard it so many times from my dad laughing that I feel like I remember it.

Mark Regalia
(markr) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz
Extra thin yoga mat on 02/17/2012 13:44:38 MST Print View

I tried a few things. I wanted something that I could roll up and put in their packs. If my dogs want to come they have to carry their own gear. I get razzed enough already by my packing buddies for how well I treat my dogs.

That pretty much left out standard ccf. I tried a fabric type but they get wet.

I bought an extra thin yoga mat, which is closed cell foam. I cut it in half, one for each dog. It folds up and fits in their packs. It's bulky but is light.

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Soft and cushy on 02/17/2012 14:21:09 MST Print View

No matter what I do my Shepherd will always choose my bag and pad as first preference. I've tried a few different things for him, last trip was a small fleece blanket. I'm thinking of an inflatable of some kind now after reading this thread, maybe take an older pad and cut it down and re-seal it. Hmm. The other thought I had was to find a cheap synthetic bag, cut it down and sew it up so it's just big enough for him, that too should fit in his REI dog pack.

This is a terrible pic, but you get the idea. Until I kick him off, he'll pick my side every time. When we're outside, any spot on the ground is fine, and at home, the hardwood floor is just fine half the time. But when he get's the chance he'll lay on my inflatable and down bag in a heartbeat, so he obviously has a preference.

Guinness on bag

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Dog Beds in the backcountry on 02/17/2012 14:46:53 MST Print View

For my Aussie, I use a chunk of 5mm EVA foam that can be folded or rolled in his pack or mine. It packs up better than the old blue foam I used in the past. It has enough R-value to keep him comfortable.

I picked up an REI Dog Dome the other day in a thrift store and set it up in my basement computer room. He seems to like it. 1lb 12oz and 45"x30" x 31" tall. It is more entertainment than serious gear. I'm sure it could be lightened with some surgery.

REI Dog Dome

I could rig up a small tarp for him, but he refuses to use trekking poles ;)

Megan P
(meganpetruccelli) - F

Locale: San Francisco & Telluride
Try this one out.... on 03/26/2013 13:00:37 MDT Print View

I just found this one. It's MUCH cheaper and seems just as good.

http://abogear.com/en/pet-down/536-pet-down.html

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.wordpress.com
Remember, Care for the Dog on 03/26/2013 13:40:30 MDT Print View

Keep in mind, Labs are very tolerant dogs. They can have painful toothaches for years and never let on. If your dog is cold, it won't tell you.

I would bring at least a foam pad in cold weather. Treat your dog's body about 75% as warm as you would treat your own body, since the dog has fur.

To the "Dogs were born outside" train, a lot of those wild dogs slept in packs, in burrows or caves during cold nights. Your dog can at least have the company of his pack; you!

Matt Sanger
(IPARider) - MLife
Re: Re: Dog Beds in the backcountry on 03/27/2013 10:00:38 MDT Print View

"He always manages to find a way to sneak onto a self-inflating mat."

This is what my aussie does...curls up at the foot and sneaks onto one or both of our thermarests, in the hollow behind our legs. We tried keeping him out of the tent or in the vestibule, but there would inevitably be a swarm of bugs biting his nose. Now when we get to camp, he waits anxiously for the tent to be set up so he can go crash for a while, preferably on some nice soft down.

He just carries food and trash, and (in this pic) confers with my wife on route selection...Obe and H Tetons