Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
A question for the Photographers
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: A question for the Photographers on 10/08/2011 19:15:46 MDT Print View

The contrast detect AF in the Panasonic cameras is fast -- about as fast as a consumer DSLR. Not even close to my 1D Mark IV, of course, but they are made for entirely different purposes. I'm not carrying that thing on a hike.

The image quality of the micro 4/3 is very good in print. I'm looking at a 16x20 that I just made from a G1 with the kit 14-45 zoom, handheld, of a foggy later afternoon scene at Mt Rogers that was shot during a hike a couple of weeks ago. There is much fine detail in the dead trees that holds up very well. I suspect that a GH2 or G3 would hold even more.

The NEX system looks very good, and if I were starting from scratch it would be in the running. But the m4/3 has a very large selection of bodies and lenses, and can pretty much handle whatever you need. If possible, the best thing is to handle both in a shop.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Almost right... on 10/08/2011 19:31:19 MDT Print View

"New models Nex5n and 7 are more advanced and have more features and options."

The Outdoor Photographer article refers to the Sony NEX-5N and lists it with contrast detection autofocus only.

--B.G.--

Yuri R
(Yazon) - F
Sure they do on 10/08/2011 23:03:10 MDT Print View

Again - this is because they only looked at the spec of the camera before more information was available. There is an adapter that only works with Nex5n and Nex7 that gives it ability to use phase detection AF and some superior glass.

It is really a mistake on their part for not writing this information, as it is quite significant. It greatly improves AF speed and allows for some true gems to be mounted on the camera.

I have 70-210 f4 Minolta which was designed by Leica, 50mm f1.4, 24-70mm f2.8 Zeiss and others that i can't wait to try on Nex.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
just as well on 10/08/2011 23:13:16 MDT Print View

It's just as well. I don't think that I will cast aside $12K worth of lenses to try out a new untested camera.

--B.G.--

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: CDAF/PDAF on 10/09/2011 11:25:36 MDT Print View

Phase-detection focus is the current speed champ and the gap is closing quickly, but it's not there yet. The three new Olympus ยต4/3 bodies added parallel CDAF processors that take them closer to real time focus with compatible lenses. Where they fall flat is running dlsr lenses designed for PDAF, where the response is poky.

The driving force here is video, as DSLR video is comical until the camera is rigged up with cine gear to pull focus and run the aperture in real time. This transformation makes them broadcast and even cinema quality, but irrelevant for backpackers. The mirrorless cameras can do these things out of the box, with no rigging required, and PDAF enables them to follow focus in real time (with system lenses). This is their hole card, at present, for folks interested primarily in video.

Fast forward a few years and dslrs will be photographic dinosaurs, but not yet. In the meantime, anybody upgrading from their P&S or phonecam will be torn which direction to go: mirrorless or dslr. The answer can only come from a careful appraisal of your projected uses. It's easy to get distracted by other folks' goals, or unrealistic goals.

Cheers,

Rick