Forum Index » Chaff » BSA discrimination policy :(

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: can BPL just delete all CHAFF? on 02/07/2013 21:15:19 MST Print View

Really?

I find the majority of posts seem to be Gear Swap. I just skip them.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: can BPL just delete all CHAFF? on 02/07/2013 21:56:20 MST Print View

There should be a way to filter out anything from chaff.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: can BPL just delete all CHAFF? on 02/07/2013 22:00:23 MST Print View

Kinky sex makes...I mean CHAFF, makes the world go 'round.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: can BPL just LOVE all CHAFF? on 02/07/2013 22:05:31 MST Print View

It's so freakin popular. All the kids are doing it.

Like I've said before. Chaff is how you find out who you should hike with and those who you should avoid at all cost.

Half the stuff posted in Gear is in the wrong forum.

GGG trip reports are in the Photo Gallery. Easy to find there as nobody uses it.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: can BPL just delete all CHAFF? on 02/07/2013 22:06:40 MST Print View

"Kinky sex makes...I mean CHAFF..."

Nope Craig, had it right at first.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: can BPL just delete all CHAFF? on 02/07/2013 22:16:26 MST Print View

"It's so freakin popular. All the kids are doing it."

Kinky sex? Or Chaff?

Crap...where are my kids....

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: can BPL just delete all CHAFF? on 02/07/2013 22:22:24 MST Print View

Delete Chaff?

What would we do at work all day?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Can BPL just delete all CHAFF? on 02/07/2013 22:25:52 MST Print View

@ Kevin:

Careful what you ask for!! Without Chaff, all that personal baggage stuff will find their way into the Gear branch. Do you r-e-a-l-l-y want that??

tyler marlow
(like.sisyphus) - F

Locale: UTAH
Long Live Chaff! on 02/10/2013 21:25:46 MST Print View

I've spent more time on this thread than any ever, how else am I going to spent my time!

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Can BPL just delete all CHAFF? Sure, but why not just ignore it? on 02/10/2013 21:40:13 MST Print View

I find all the FS postings much more tedious to wade through than Chaff postings. No, I don't want your $125 whatever for $20 off plus $10 shipping. The PIFs are heartwarming, at times, though.

Click on "Recent Threads" instead of "Recent Posts". Then a hot Chaff thread with 35 posts since your last visit will show up exactly as often any other thread - once.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Can BPL just delete all CHAFF? Sure, but why not just ignore it? on 02/11/2013 04:56:16 MST Print View

I just had to ask, "Woody Allen" and "Che Guevara™ are "odd, pathetic, and/or evil examples"?!?

What an odd statement. Especially for Che Guevara. He is very much loved throughout the Latin American world, and was a great humanist, who cared deeply about people. He gave a lot of people hope in places that were horribly downtrodden and abjectly poor. He also gave people in Latin America a sense of solidarity and dignity, which certainly no North Americans had ever done. Probably more than anyone else, he brought Latin America together and helped pave the way for the slow development of the more progressive societies that are emerging today.

As to Woody Allen... Have you seen his recent movie, "Midnight In Paris"? Very sensitive and beautifully done. And immensely sad and joyful at the same time. Woody Allen has a way of seeing beneath the veneer people carry around.

Edited by butuki on 02/11/2013 05:00:05 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Can BPL just delete all CHAFF? Sure, but why not just ignore it? on 02/11/2013 06:15:42 MST Print View

@Miguel.
If you read up on Che, you will find that he was a fanatic, black and white thinker who believed in executing without due process Not that everything he did was bad, but he was a young, rich, adrenaline junkie. He was also homophobic.
Woody? Great director, sure sensitive too. Still creepy in my opinion. I also love Hitchcock's movies but he was an Ass, by most accounts.

Even jerks get some things right.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/11/2013 08:55:35 MST.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Re: Can BPL just delete all CHAFF? Sure, but why not just ignore it? on 02/11/2013 14:32:33 MST Print View

@Miguel- "What an odd statement. Especially for Che Guevara. He is very much loved throughout the Latin American world, and was a great humanist, who cared deeply about people."

And there are circles in Russia in which Stalin is still beloved, too. What's your point?

Kat's right- Che did a lot of underhanded, well, murdering, not to put too fine a point on things. He just had a frighteningly competent publicist or something. There are places in Mexico where multi-murderer drug dealers are popular, and places in the Balkans where ethnic cleaners are lionized. Being lionized doesn't make you Not Evil- it just makes you lionized.

And I agree- Woody Allen is a creepazoid. I'm not sure about evil, but he's creepy enough that I won't give him any money, which is easy because based on what little of his work I've seen his work is moronic. (I hated Seinfeld, too. Thank God that I was out of the country when it was really big.) But I admit that I haven't seen any of his more recent work (last decade or two).

Edited by acrosome on 02/11/2013 14:38:31 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: The Misery That Che Helped to Bring on 02/11/2013 14:57:23 MST Print View

Che -- How very, very sad that a dashing and caring and dedicated figure cut down in the prime of life -- espoused bringing justice to the world via the dead end of Communism -- and delivered through violence no less!

I traveled to Cuba last year. Cubans are survivors. But it is not a happy place.

The average position in Cuba pays the equivalent of US$30 a month. A dollar a day. I looked high and low for an umbrella when I was there. Finally found an ugly one for US$7. I asked around -- quite confused how a lousy umbrella could be sold for a week's salary?? I talked to people...

The overwhelming majority of Cubans (I was quoted 90% but that figure might be a tad high) depend on family, relatives and/or friends working abroad (US, Mexico, Spain, etc.). The unlucky ones without foreign relations or friends live in abject poverty.

The government provides a baseline sustenance -- the first couple of kilos of rice, bread, etc. are sold in government stores for pennies. No one actually starves to death. But beyond bare sustenance -- things quickly jump right up to "market price" -- and that's where foreign remittances come in.

Cubans use their "national currency" to buy things in government stores. Want a drinkable beer? Then you need that other currency called "convertible pesos" -- which can be obtained only by swapping with US dollars or Euros. No hard currency means no quality in life (as far as goods are concerned).

I visited with a family who had no relatives or friends abroad. They did't call it living -- but just existing and barely surviving.

When I visited Santa Clara -- and the huge MEMORIAL where Che and his fellow revolutionaries are buried -- I kept wishing I could resurrect them -- for just a day -- just so they could see the misery all around.

Edited by ben2world on 02/11/2013 15:08:08 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Can BPL just delete all CHAFF? Sure, but why not just ignore it? on 02/11/2013 15:21:20 MST Print View

+1 Dean.

Methinks maybe Miguel was trolling to get a rise out of some of us?

:)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
BSA discrimination policy :( on 02/11/2013 18:55:20 MST Print View

369r

Edited by kthompson on 02/12/2013 18:42:40 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: The Misery That Che Helped to Bring on 02/11/2013 19:51:18 MST Print View

"When I visited Santa Clara -- and the huge MEMORIAL where Che and his fellow revolutionaries are buried -- I kept wishing I could resurrect them -- for just a day -- just so they could see the misery all around."

Do you think the US embargo might have anything to do with the misery? Just wondering....

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Che on 02/11/2013 20:30:18 MST Print View

"Do you think the US embargo might have anything to do with the misery? Just wondering...."

Yeah and every other country the US trades with is rich and prosperous?
Che was a murdering thug who happened to be romanticized. Sorry I don't care what nice ideas he had, he presided over show trials that murdered Castro's political opponents.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Che on 02/11/2013 20:35:13 MST Print View

"Yeah and every other country the US trades with is rich and prosperous?"

Most are a darn sight better off than Cuba.

I'm not defending Che here, but there is no doubt at all that the US embargo has had a devastating effect on Cuba's economy. Why should the Cuban people pay for Che's actions. It's not like they voted for him.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re Che on 02/11/2013 20:50:52 MST Print View

I don't want to be to argumentative. Drop the embargo I say. It definitely isn't hurting the people we want to hurt (the crooks in charge).

However my pessimistic side says that it might not help much. We trade with African countries that are still poor, other countries trade with Cuba.