Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » What to do with damaged Icebreaker shirt?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
What to do with damaged Icebreaker shirt? on 10/01/2011 19:21:56 MDT Print View

I wore my Icebreaker 150 t-shirt on a bike ride a while back. I got sweaty and when I pulled on the collar to take it off the collar came but the shirt stayed. It ripped most of the way around the collar and while I could most likely patch it, that doesn't sound very creative. I've got other shirts and I got quite a bit of use out of this one so I'm thinking I might use the material for some sort of MYOG Buff. But before I go to cutting on it I was curious if anyone here has any other more interesting ways of re-purposing a t-shirt's worth of lightweight merino wool.

Any ideas?

Adam

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: What to do with damaged Icebreaker shirt? on 10/01/2011 19:44:33 MDT Print View

I would go for some type of head piece like a balaclava.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Re: What to do with damaged Icebreaker shirt? on 10/01/2011 20:11:22 MDT Print View

Hi,

Try a hood and then sew it on another wool shirt like this:

Make your Own Hoody

Andrew Schriner
(lettheguydance) - F

Locale: Midwest
warranty? on 10/03/2011 14:48:55 MDT Print View

i know this isn't exactly the kind of answer you're looking for, but why not contact icebreaker and see if they will fix it? my impression of them is that they are a reputable company, and even if they don't have an explicit warranty policy about that kind of thing, they might offer to take care of it if you contact them about it. i've had that happen to a surprising extent with lots of outdoor gear over the years: the good companies will really take care of their customers.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: What to do with damaged Icebreaker shirt? on 10/04/2011 15:12:09 MDT Print View

I just checked and it is out of warranty so I think its going to become a balaclava/hood. I like the looks of the pattern in Bill's link, I've got quite a bit of left over insulation from other projects and have been thinking about making a vest anyway. If I can find that pattern I can kill two birds with one stone. Thanks for the suggestions!

Adam