Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
most of us can only hope for this
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
most of us can only hope for this on 12/21/2006 14:50:46 MST Print View

80 yr old completes 106 rim-rim-rim Grand Canyon trips this year (multi day trips) article here

From the size of his pack I'd say that he'd improve his chances of reaching his stated goal to be still doing that at 90 if joined BPL .... except that I doubt he has time to lurk here. Maybe we could send him a copy of "Lighten Up!" for bedtime reading.

Edited by jcolten on 12/21/2006 14:52:19 MST.

Glenn Roberts
(garkjr) - F

Locale: Southwestern Ohio
Re: most of us can only hope for this on 12/21/2006 14:57:05 MST Print View

Jim:

I'll go halfsies on the cost of the book...

Merry Christmas!

Glenn

Kevin Green
(kebbingreen) - F

Locale: PCT 08
Re: Re: most of us can only hope for this on 12/21/2006 18:55:18 MST Print View

You can listen to a podcast with Laurent Gaudreau on Practical Backpacking. He is sponsored by Golite and seems to know his gear. In the podcast he states that the largest pack he uses is a Gust...but also uses a 4 ounce pack of his design.

I just thought I would point out the podcast and try to save you guys some money! Although he still may enjoy the book.

Happy Holidays.

---Kevin

Karl Keating
(KarlKeating) - MLife
Maverick on 12/25/2006 23:13:24 MST Print View

Last year, as I was going down the South Kaibab Trail, I met Maverick going up. He had done more than 40 rim-to-rims so far that year. I don't recall him having a large pack.

He said his wife works at one of the rim stores, and she doesn't mind his being on the trail as much as he is. I do wonder, though, how it's possible not to be bored when one does the same route dozens of times a year.

It's probably fair to say, though, that, if you showed Maverick a photo of any ten-foot stretch of trail, he could tell you just where it was along the North or South Kaibab Trails.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: most of us can only hope for this on 12/26/2006 06:06:10 MST Print View

thanks for the pointer ... interesting interview. Me thinks I need to expand my horizons and watch a few more forums.

Nice to see that he'll be sharing what he knows and even nicer to see a vendor sponsoring an advocate who has a relatively low glamor quotient.