Has anyone used reflective bubble mailers for sleeping pads?
Display Avatars Sort By:
robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Has anyone used reflective bubble mailers for sleeping pads? on 10/01/2011 12:09:05 MDT Print View

I recently received quite a few reflective bubble mailers from a friend. I have seen people using them for holding in the heat while freeze-dried food re-hydrated. Has anyone used them for anything else? I am not sure if the could be used for sleeping pads. Has anyone tried them for that purpose? I have some that are about 8 x 12. Would they make a good winter layer under a non-insulated air pad? Any help would be appreciated.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Has anyone used reflective bubble mailers for sleeping pads? on 10/01/2011 15:25:38 MDT Print View

years ago I tried this. I punted on the idea. I found that are warmer and more comfortable options for the weight / volume. If you were combining them with an uninsulated pad, you would want them on top of, rather than under, the air pad.

--mark

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Has anyone used reflective bubble mailers for sleeping pads? on 10/01/2011 15:29:48 MDT Print View

Two problems:
The bubbles pop
You can't compress them

Otherwise, yes, they can work, but they are not as warm as other options as the air can circulate inside the large bubbles.

Cheers

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Reflective Bubble Bag Picture on 10/01/2011 19:43:35 MDT Print View

Bubble bag closeup
This is a picture of what I am talking about, along with a lighter for scale. The reflective coating is on both sides, and the bubbles seem pretty tough. These look like what I have seen people use to keep their food warm when it was rehydrating, but I'm not sure. These are used to transport medical supplies such as insulin.

Edited by mtnbob123 on 10/01/2011 19:44:22 MDT.

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Locale: Eastern Canada
I would use it on 10/08/2011 00:50:16 MDT Print View

If it packs small enough, I would gladly try this on a spring, summer, fall trip in between myself and my pad.

Must do some good, its encased air and has reflective properties.

Cheers,
Corey

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Has anyone used reflective bubble mailers for sleeping pads? on 10/08/2011 00:56:38 MDT Print View

I use the ordinary non-reflective sheets of bubble pak sometimes in summer. I have one of the large box/rolls of the pink stuff. I don't expect to get much insulation out of it, but I use it as a ground sheet that maybe has a tiny bit of insulation.

Some of this stuff has large bubbles, and some has small bubbles. If you put your elbow down on the large bubbles, they tend to pop, so I use only the small bubble version.

--B.G.--