Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Well, it's all the backpacking I've done this summer
Display Avatars Sort By:
cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
Well, it's all the backpacking I've done this summer on 10/01/2011 05:14:32 MDT Print View

Thought about all you guys on my way home from market today. Been in Korea four months now. No chance for much of any fun so far--been super busy & have been sick most of the potential days for play.

But it's between about 1400 and 2800 meters each way, depending on which market I go to, so I've been using my Golite Ion or Zpacks 1800cc cuben pack to retrieve groceries. Yeah, that's been my backpacking this year (except that one overnight to Henry Coe--was that in February?).

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Well, it's all the backpacking I've done this summer on 10/01/2011 07:54:31 MDT Print View

It was in Feb. Get in shape! When you come back its time to plan a trip Cary...Kaweahs? Great Western Divide???

How long are you gone again?

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Well, it's all the backpacking I've done this summer on 10/01/2011 08:57:34 MDT Print View

My cousin was in Korea teaching english he said it's nice car trip and their are hiking trails on the way to the DMZ line. .
When I was in Okinawa I did a lot of backpack of north east coast looking for perfect surfing spots. If you do surf take a trip to Okinawa,Japan it's a short plane flight from Korea tropical reef breaks water temp in the winter 70 degrees.
Under water visibility is about 75%. 10 feet off shore snorkeling is unbelievable being surrounded by tropical saltwater fish, you can rent surfboards from local surf shops. Just remember don't let your feet walk on the reef below or you will cut your feet or get a sea urchin spine in your foot you will be months trying to dig that sandy spine out of your foot.
When you get back there will be plenty of desert trails to hike in the winter.
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 10/01/2011 08:59:17 MDT.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
thanks for the responses on 10/02/2011 06:34:33 MDT Print View

Ken--my contract runs through the end of May

after that depends on whether I get a different job or resign here for another year (I'll still need a job)

Plan A is to get a teaching fellowship through Georgetown U., most likely in China, which would allow me to be home some, but I'm looking at 4 weeks at UC Riverside for a TEFL certificate program that will help get some positions (even with teaching experience and two graduate degrees, some positions require specific certification in TESL/TEFL)

Terry--I've been considering Okinawa. If I can stay healthy, I'll have some time off over the winter & could use a break. Seriously? 70 degree water in winter?

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Well, it's all the backpacking I've done this summer on 10/02/2011 11:22:51 MDT Print View

Cary,
Okinawa is Japan's hawaii it a small tropical island it average rain fall is 128" per year.
If you go to UC Riverside your only about 1.5 hours away from Joshua Tree National Forest. It is fun backpacking or just a day hiking trip. No open fires are allowed but it is fun hiking from rock formation to rock formation and the rock scrambling and climbing on all the rocks in the park. The park is really unbelievable in it sights to be seen.
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 10/02/2011 11:25:47 MDT.