Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cascades Last Week September 19th thru 24th
Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Cascades Last Week September 19th thru 24th on 09/29/2011 11:01:19 MDT Print View

Glacier Peak

Glacier Peak

Lyman Lakes from Spider Gap

Lyman Lakes from Spider Gap

Looking back down Spider Gap

Looking back down Spider Gap

Fat marmot

marmot

Shrooms

Shrooms

Bee

Bee

Lupine

Lupine

A little more green than Texas

Colors

More Flowers

More Flowers

My McHale, not lightweight by any means, but oh so comfortable! Did not know what conditions would be so we were ready with darn near everything.

McHale

Edited by FatTexan on 09/29/2011 11:04:24 MDT.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Cascades Last Week September 19th thru 24th on 09/29/2011 12:17:18 MDT Print View

Beautiful shots, Christopher, and wow, did you ever hit the weather.

Now I'm homesick.

Cheers,

Rick

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
cascades last week on 09/29/2011 13:43:25 MDT Print View

+1 on the photos and weather and feeling homesick. I used to hike in the north cascades a lot--heck, worked trail crew there! It's great country, but my the weather is, ummm...variable. But I'd recommend your route to anyone for sure--but notice the snow this late on spider gap.

Curt Peterson
(curtpeterson) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Cascades Last Week September 19th thru 24th on 09/29/2011 21:21:11 MDT Print View

Great pics! Nice weather window, too. Love that area - very "wild" feeling for sure. Did you do any fishing in the lakes up there?

@Rick - If you're in the neighborhood, I'd be more than happy to work it out to get you to a trailhead and join you in a nostalgia trip in the Cascades :)

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Cascades 9/19-24 on 09/29/2011 21:25:38 MDT Print View

Excellent Pictures. First shot is way cool!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Cascades 9/19-24 on 09/30/2011 18:59:43 MDT Print View

here I am a Sierra-hollic......Ummm wow...I need to go to The Cascades....great shots!!!

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
No Fishing on 10/01/2011 08:35:53 MDT Print View

No fishing for me, I would love to learn, but I'm afraid to add another expensive hobby to my list.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Cascades Last Week September 19th thru 24th on 10/01/2011 10:25:35 MDT Print View

Very kind offer, Curt, I'll make a note and just might take you up on it! It's been far too long. :-)

Cheers,

Rick

Joshua Gilbert
(joshcgil2) - F

Locale: Seattle
Glacier peak wilderness on 10/01/2011 10:59:30 MDT Print View

I did my first trip up there this summer with my wife, that area is one of my new favorite places in Washington.

If anyone wants to do a trip up there, pm me. It would be fun to link up some different groups of BPLers. We Washingtonians have never had much success getting together. (not that we couldn't)

Chris, I'm guessing you didn't need the ice axe?

Curt Peterson
(curtpeterson) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Glacier Peak on 10/01/2011 11:39:29 MDT Print View

@Chris: Fishing - especially alpine lake fishing - can be fantastically fun AND dirt cheap. In fact, I'd argue that cheap is a good way to go as the likelihood of rod breakage is much higher on a backpacking trip than a dedicated fishing outing. The fish don't know the difference between a $15 setup and a $200 setup :) You could probably get a very functional setup for $50 and even a pretty nice setup for under $100.

If you have the legs and lungs to get to high wild places like that, you will have fishing experiences that very few people ever get.