Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
End of the Regular Season
Display Avatars Sort By:
Evan Parker
(ecp12) - F

Locale: Upstate NY
End of the Regular Season on 09/29/2011 08:59:24 MDT Print View

Any one watch or even hear of the end to baseball's regular season? Absolutely nuts! Catastrophic collapse for the Red Sox after they spent so much money to end the season like that. And the Braves didn't fare much better, any thoughts or fans that can't show their faces today?

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
End of the Regular Season on 09/29/2011 11:18:03 MDT Print View

The best part is the hockey season begins. I need a fast moving game after watching too many 9-inning disappointments over the length of the season.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: End of the Regular Season on 09/29/2011 11:29:41 MDT Print View

Yep, that was a pretty amazing way to end the season. Boston must be devastated. One strike away from winning, then end up losing and moments later Rays win with walk off HR in extras after coming back from a 7-0 deficit in the 8th inning. Pretty crazy.

I thought the tampa bay crowd was pretty weak though. I watched the highlights and after they won the crowd cheered a bit, but then was just kind of standing around. In just about any other stadium the place would be going absolutely nuts all night long.

As a Mets fan, I was quite pleased with the outcome. Braves get eliminated and Boston makes the 2007 Mets collapse not seem quite as bad.

. ..
(dgowler)
Re: Re: End of the Regular Season on 09/29/2011 12:37:32 MDT Print View

I'm a Boston fan through and through, heart break is nothing new. It would have been nice to see them make the play offs but we all know Philly is going to right to the world series without much opposition. They deserve it and theyll keep another one away from the Yankees. That's a win, isn't it?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: End of the Regular Season on 09/29/2011 18:33:23 MDT Print View

Pretty amazing end to the season. Wow!

Amazing to see The Red Sux and Braves give up such huge leads in Sept. That said, I am a Giants fan and I am bummed that they could not muster much offense and/or deal with all their injuries.

GO Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Royals fan... on 09/30/2011 08:13:29 MDT Print View

As a royals fan, i'm so far away from post-season I don't even know what it looks like. At least they weren't last.

Anyhow, yeah quite surprising endings from those two. That's hard disappointment. As a royals fan, I like my disappointment to run throughout the whole season, with only a glimmer of hope now and then. I was lucky enough to be front row watching the royals beat detroit 10-2 last week. (that was said glimmer of hope).

But I have to be with you ^
I'd love to see detroit go all the way, they have the opportunity. Plus I loathe the yanks....

Edited by benwood on 09/30/2011 08:19:51 MDT.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
End of the Regular Season on 09/30/2011 08:54:32 MDT Print View

Pretty happy with the Rangers.

Evan Parker
(ecp12) - F

Locale: Upstate NY
Giants fail :/ on 09/30/2011 10:42:01 MDT Print View

Yeah, as a giants fan, it was not pretty to see that offense but I'm happy that the yankees will be coming up against verlander (to be AL cy young winner), and like others here i'm pretty sure the phils will steamroll right through to the world series.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
End of the Regular Season on 09/30/2011 11:07:52 MDT Print View

Worst case scenario for me is another yankees/phillies world series. There's really no good outcome in that one and probably the only time I will ever root for the yankees.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: End of the Regular Season on 09/30/2011 11:10:44 MDT Print View

Finally, a chaff thread that actually pertains to this site. After all, Boston and Atlanta certainly proved to be a bunch of lightweights, eh?

Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Locale: Midwest
Epic last day on 09/30/2011 14:45:24 MDT Print View

Best single day of baseball I can remember. The season on the line, teams on the brink, certain victory squelched, certain defeat suddenly reversed and the brutal end to one of the most epic meltdowns in baseball history.

Ken, we've talked baseball before. Sorry about your Giants and GO TIGERS! I've got my tickets for game 4 (if no sweeps) with my son. Mid-60s and sunny. Doesn't get better.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Epic last day on 09/30/2011 18:16:25 MDT Print View

yeah we have talked baseball!

Lucky for me I was in the Sierras for the big meltdown my Giants did against The D Backs in Sept.

Oh well, 2012 should be a better season if injuries don't rear its ugly self!

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Go Cardinals! on 09/30/2011 19:36:59 MDT Print View

>> ...we all know Philly is going to right to the world series without much opposition.

I'm hoping you're wrong on that. Go Cards!

This was one of the most gut-wrenching seasons I can remember for Cards fans. I'm still in disbelief that they stunk it up so bad in August, then came back with a September to Remember. They are certainly peaking at the right time. I'm hoping they can carry that energy straight through Philly. If they can, I think they'll own The Brewers/D-Backs winner.

I have a lot of family in New York City. A Cards/Yankees World Series would be awesome!

>> Worst case scenario for me is another Yankees/Phillies world series.

Agreed! That's when I root for meteor showers.

(hegel1)
end of regular season on 09/30/2011 21:21:44 MDT Print View

IMHO the Giants didn't "fail"; they only lost four fewer games than last season with a pathetic offense. If anything, they overachieved.

But who cares? Go Sharks!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: end of regular season on 10/01/2011 07:56:05 MDT Print View

Jeffery, and The Giants were in contention until the last week. The injuries of Posey and F. Sanchez for the year, as well as Sandoval missing 6 weeks really hurt them. I am hoping for a great 2012. Go Sharks!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: End of the Regular Season on 10/01/2011 08:03:15 MDT Print View

I wonder how many non sports fans have looked at this thread because they thought the discussion was about the end of the regular hiking season?

I can recognize a game when I see one going on. Other than that I'm in the dark.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: End of the Regular Season on 10/01/2011 17:01:17 MDT Print View

haha Ken, I thought the same thing when I saw the title......

Baseball is a huge passion of mine. It really makes backpacking hard for me during the summer. I am strange!

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
"End of the Regular Season" on 10/01/2011 18:07:32 MDT Print View

No white trailrunners after labor day and no white belts ever. Used to be able to do this. Glacier was great -but no buses.

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Re: Re: End of the Regular Season on 10/02/2011 20:31:40 MDT Print View

Ken, I'm trying to get a handle on you....

1. UL backpacker
2. Punk rock lovin'
3. Big baseball fan

the pieces don't add up yet!

btw, i do have a soft spot for the giants since my best friend growing up was a huge giants fan during the days of will clark. I seemed to always have a few giants shirts hanging around the house. ahhh... baseball.

Edited by benwood on 10/02/2011 20:35:57 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: End of the Regular Season on 10/03/2011 08:14:20 MDT Print View

Ben, I am a complicated person :)